Flying with a baby?

I've never flown with a baby, but I've been a passenger on a plane with people who have babies.

As a fellow passenger, I implore any one with a baby, please bring something for the baby to chew/gum/mouth during take-off and landing. The poor little one's ears will pop, which hurts, which resulting in screaming... Every plane I have been on (more than 26 times), there has been some one with a brand new screeching child. (I have no children, so I'm just going from observation of the ones I've seen on planes.) :wave:

Upvote 0

Cole'sMom

10 weeks-it was an absolute dream. He slept both ways-the whole time. This year, he will be 10 1/2 months and I am considering baby Benadryl. :lol: He is very active and will want to stand and dance the whole time. Thank goodness we are taking a 7 am flight from Detroit and he will hopefully be lulled to sleep.

Upvote 0

rjwalter

Original Poster
10 weeks-it was an absolute dream. He slept both ways-the whole time. This year, he will be 10 1/2 months and I am considering baby Benadryl. :lol: He is very active and will want to stand and dance the whole time. Thank goodness we are taking a 7 am flight from Detroit and he will hopefully be lulled to sleep.

That would have me beat. I was asking because we're having our first child in September and we go to WDW every year over the winter. So January would be about 4 months and I didn't know if that would be to young.

Upvote 0

Cole'sMom

Congratulations on the baby! It should be fine. The baby will be more alert than mine was, but you should have no problems. Just be sure to bring a bottle or pacifier for takeoff/landing. They can get very discombobulated from the pressure in their ears. They can vomit and be out of sorts for a couple of days. WDW should be a ball! Even at 10 weeks, my son loved everything-the characters, parades, lights, colors. He soaked everything up. Just make sure you go at their pace-my husband and I were park warriors, now Cole sets the pace and it was smooth sailing! Good luck!

Upvote 0

BRER DAD

I have taken two babies on the plane, and they were better then the older kids. If they cry and scream dont worry about it. Dont worry about what other people are thinking. If your in a resturant you can always get up and go outside, not much you can do on a plane. I always bring somthing for them to play with. Have fun, and dont worry!!

Upvote 0
I wish you the best of luck!:lol:

Upvote 0

Scooter

If you DO decide to fly with a baby, I'm sure you'll be either in front of me or behind me on the plane... so be sure to say hello.:brick:

I even upgraded once to avoid screaming babies and...you guessed it. The lady in 1st class next to me had a screaming baby on her lap the whole flight.

Upvote 0

jmvd20

I've never flown with a baby, but I've been a passenger on a plane with people who have babies.

As a fellow passenger, I implore any one with a baby, please bring something for the baby to chew/gum/mouth during take-off and landing. The poor little one's ears will pop, which hurts, which resulting in screaming... Every plane I have been on (more than 26 times), there has been some one with a brand new screeching child. (I have no children, so I'm just going from observation of the ones I've seen on planes.) :wave:

Most babies can't chew gum.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

I have flown with my two from about 4 months. We stopped flying after too many disaters. None of which were my kids though; 2 "lost" Britax car seats, 6 hour delays, crew problems etc. Now we drive and we can take all of thier c**p without worrying about carrying it.
If you are thinking of trying the Bendryal trick do it BEFORE you leave. It makes my kids hyper, you don't want to find that out on your flight.
I would try nursing, bottle, pacifer, NOT GUM as the OP suggested, heck even a lolipop I gave one to my 6 month old on a flight. I am sure that makes me a horrible Mom but he was quite and everyone else was happy. On that note try to stay calm that will calm your baby most of all. I have found other passengers are understanding, and get that there is no much you can do to quite a baby that just wants to cry.
One more thing try to schedual a flight during naps or on an off day. If it is not peak time you might be able to have an extra seat for all of the stuff babies need. Ask ASAP at check in, everyone wants to keep babies happy on flights.

Upvote 0

bayoutinkbelle

Congrats!!

I flew with my son when he was 2 months. He slept for the entire flight, waking up only during a layover in Cleveland when I changed his diaper (wet wipes are cold, don't ya know! :lol: ).

I'll never forget the man who ended up sitting with us on the Cleveland-New Orleans leg. He took one look at the baby and got this horrified look on his face. Once we landed, he confessed that he thought it would be a horrible flight, but said my son was an angel. *Those were the days. :animwink: *

Upvote 0
I have taken two babies on the plane, and they were better then the older kids. If they cry and scream dont worry about it. Dont worry about what other people are thinking. If your in a resturant you can always get up and go outside, not much you can do on a plane. I always bring somthing for them to play with. Have fun, and dont worry!!

Agreed! I know it's hard for other passengers when there is an upset infant on the plane, but babies (cliche alert) are people too. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about an upset baby, and when you consider how little they are, most folks understand. In fact, one thing I noticed is that once I became a parent is that when I hear a screaming infant, I look over to see what's up (ie, is there an actual problem?) and if everything looks okay, I settle down and pretty much tune it out.

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

morgan22

Thanks Waltzing Matilda and Brer Dad for your positive comments... I am taking my 10mth old to WDW in June and as we live in the UK I am not looking forward to the 14hour journey (layover in Philly) - I am paranoid about upsetting the other passengers but like you said, babies are people too and from reading some negative messages about taking babies on planes (i am presuming from people who don't have children?) they do notice a crying baby.

Upvote 0

scorp111

Thanks Waltzing Matilda and Brer Dad for your positive comments... I am taking my 10mth old to WDW in June and as we live in the UK I am not looking forward to the 14hour journey (layover in Philly) - I am paranoid about upsetting the other passengers but like you said, babies are people too and from reading some negative messages about taking babies on planes (i am presuming from people who don't have children?) they do notice a crying baby.

We flew transatlantic twice with our DD before she was 3 months old.

We never had a problem. She was always very quiet on the flights. She is now almost 4, and has probably flown 15-20 times.

Upvote 0
Most babies can't chew gum.

Yes - but I didn't think suck would show up because of the filter here. I was trying to imply a pacifier or bottle.

I didn't mean to sound rude - but I know my ears hurt when the plain takes off - so i presume an infants would as well.

Edit: Ok - I was wrong - I thought it hasn't show up before.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom