Flying vs. Driving?

Boray

I say you can't beat driving, make it part of the trip. It's the best way to see the greatest country in the world!

I totally agree! We really enjoy the drive. We go in October, so we see the leaves changing all across the south (Chattanooga is beautiful!!!!) We usually arrive in the mountains (on the way home) around 5:00pm and the sun is beginning to set over the mountains, which are covered with colorful changing leaves - it's breathtaking.

We just work the extra travel time into our vacation. We usually leave early Thursday morning, arrive there early afternoon on Friday and stay until the following Saturday. We have our own car (cheaper than rental) and driving is MUCH cheaper than flying. This past year, round trip including 2 hotel stays was $515 - two of us couldn't have flown for that, and we have a family of 4!!!

I have more time than money, so I'd rather drive. That and we save enough money that we have been able to go every year for the past 4 and plan on going again this year. (Also, we save money by renting a 3 bedroom house, rather than staying on site. LOVE not having to share a room with my kids!!! We all sleep better!!!)

I'll take saving money and driving over flying and thus, being able to vacation there every year, over the alternative (which would probably be trips to WDW every other year.)

Besides, flying scares the s*** out of me!!!! That and all the trouble to go through security, being limited by what I can take and bring home, being on the schedule of the airline, possibility of delays, missing connections, kids screaming on the plane, feeling claustrophobic, turbulence, etc. No thanks, I'll drive...

wvdisneyfamily

We live 875 miles from WDW. We could drive it straight through, but choose not to because the stop in Savannah is part of our trip. I've never flown and will probably not because of personal reasons. The drive isn't that bad. There are lots of little things about the drive that pump me up. I always look forward to spotting certain signs and landmarks along the way. I love the feeling of stepping out of the car for the first time in SC and FL. Most of all, I like being on MY schedule packing as much luggage as I can into the car without baggage fees or worries about too much liquid.

Scooter

Besides, flying scares the s*** out of me!!!! That and all the trouble to go through security, being limited by what I can take and bring home, being on the schedule of the airline, possibility of delays, missing connections, kids screaming on the plane, feeling claustrophobic, turbulence, etc. No thanks, I'll drive...

I think for a LOT of people, this is the REAL reason people drive instead of fly to Disney World when they live far away..they are AFRAID to fly. As for kids screaming on planes...Driving with kids in a car is far worse. "Mommy...are we almost there?" " Daddy..I have to go potty!" Mommy...he won't stay on his side of the seat!" Daddy...My tummy hurts..I think I'm going to (insert protein spill word of choice here)"

As for feeling claustrophobic in a plane...2 adults and 2 bored children in a car isn't a whole lot better now is it?:lol:

Turbulance...Hmmm. While it's true, you don't experiance turbulance is a car,
I have had some white knuckle drive experiances while on long drives over sheets of ice and through zero visibility thunderstorms and I would take turbulance over either of these any day.

When I retire I can see the whole country at my leisure. For now, I have only 7 day vacations and I want to spend as much time relaxing at my vacation destination as possible, not stressing out on the road reading maps, worrying about missed interstate exits and dodging road raged cell phone using text messagers.

Here's my MO:
1) Limo picks us up at our home at 7:30AM, takes us to the airport
2) Jet whisks us away to Orlando Airport at 9:30. We arrive around noon.
3) Limo picks us up at Orlando Airport at 12:15 and takes us directly to our resort by 1:30.

Done deal...we check in, and have a quick bite to eat in Captain Cooks at Disney's Polynesian Resort and we're off for an afternoon and evening at Epcot.

It's a great start to a great week long vacation.:sohappy:

yankspy

I have done both. I have driven and flown from N.Y. to WDW and D.C. to WDW. I would rather fly. I use DME which makes it even better. I do not need a car so I would just rather be there in two hours.

I have driven from the Detroit area and flown. I honestly say that flying for me is worth the extra cost. I have more time to relax and enjoy myself and once I get to Orlando, I don't have to worry. Disney takes care of everything. We are lucky here as there are at least three airlines that fly directly to Orlando, so we don't have to worry about connecting flights.

jiddng

I'm in Central Jersey (exit 11), and it only takes 17 hours for me to drive to the World. I start at 7am and usually arrive around midnight. In fact, I'm headed down to the World again in 2 weeks.

Uncle Lupe

It really more like 23 especially if you drive the speed limit if you drive like Batman the way I do probably 20.

Holy fiendish fines Batman, we got a speeding ticket and our smog device is not hooked up properly. Now we have to pass an inspection. I knew those flames weren't a good idea. Glad we are saving money on this 18 hr trip by driving. :mad:

It takes me 2 hrs just to get to a major interstate and since I am the only driver I have no choice but to make it a 2 day trip one way. So flying is a great option, 2 hr drive to the airport and no more worries. None that I can control.

Disney05

HATE driving! I think it's because I have no patience. I want to get to my destination now. A 2hr plane ride from Long Island is so worth it.

Susan Savia

We drive. Its part of the excitement -- the getting there. Gotta love the Pedro signs...... Stopover in South Carolina for the night and on our second days journey we make a stop at Daytona Beach to see the ocean (get out of the car for a break), and then are fully charged for the remainder of the trip. We like having our car in Florida for stopping at Walmart for snacks and dining out after leaving the parks at night.

weluvtink

We drive from NJ once or twice a year. I hate flying and with at least 6 of us traveling it's cheaper to drive. I know you can get good deals on some flights but we don't travel lightly, so we'd have to pay to check bags or ship stuff. the kids enjoy the drive.

Tiggerfanatic

Made the 17-hr. drive from SW PA twice when DD was little. DH hates planes and just isn't into the whole theme park thing anyway, so the next 3 trips were just her and I - 2 ladies traveling alone just made more sense for us to fly. I just add that cost of 2 plane tickets into the vacation budget when I'm saving. If it means going every other year and instead of every year, so be it.

epcotWSC

I live in NY, it's a long drive, but we do it since some people in our group are afraid to fly. Plus with 5 people it's much cheaper to drive.

There are positives and negatives to both. The biggest negative for driving is that it takes so long (we do it over 2 days). The biggest negative for flying is that it costs a lot and unless you plan on staying exclusively on Disney property then you have to rent a car too (plus going to other resorts by bus is a pain).

Another nice thing about driving is you get to see the whole East coast area. It's nice to see the White House as you drive down I-95. Then if you stop in the south it's another cool experience.

I personally think that driving has more positives besides the time factor. If you don't mind spending all the time in the car, then it's probably the better way to go. Plus no matter how expensive gas is, it still runs cheaper than taking a family on a plane. For a round trip doing some basic math with a 25 mpg car, it should cost about $365 for gas when it's $4 a gallon. So now it's half that (probably even less further south), so it's no comparison.

wdwCC

Only driven once. It was my last trip with my family when I was 18 in a RV. Except for being at WDW, it was a nightmare.

Uncle Lupe

You have to think that if you get stuck on the road for an extended period that can make the trip worse. I was stuck on the WV turnpike for 1hr 30 min at a toll booth because of a bad wreck. Then if you might be lucky enough to hit a major city during rush hour, sporting event or road construction more fun. Also had to drive through some wicked storms in NC. If your going to make it a 2 day trip then the cost of the hotel for 1 night each way $60-$100.

If your stuck @ the airport at least a bathroom is available, not in a car! We just are budgeting for the plane tickets and saving money for our future trip.

pcarathers

we flew the first time (2000) and have driven since. Not because of 9/11 the following year mind you.....we had 4 airplanes from Shreveport to Atlanta... ATL to Orlando, and the same on the way back! ALL but 1 of them had an issue! our flight out of SHV was fine....clear morning no problems, we get to ATL, get on the 2nd plane...taxi out.....I worked for an airline, so I kinda knew something was up....we go ACROSS the runway to a "turnabout"...and sit.....pilot comes on and says "SORRY FOR THE DELAY FOLKS, SEEMS WE HAVE A WARNING LIGHT COME ON AND MAINTENANCE IS ON THEIR WAY OUT TO LOOK.. JUST A MINOR INCONVEINENCE."..... MY SISTER LEANED UP AND SAID..."I'M SORRY, IF IT REQUIRES A WARNING LIGHT, IT IS NOT A MINOR INCONVEINECE.!"...We finally took off and arrived in Orlando about 15-20 mins. later than scheduled.....flight from MCO to ATL was delayed due a radar tower that went down in CA.....flight from ATL back to SHV was delayed (after we ran thru ATL airport from the MCO flight like mad people running dragging our 7year old by the arm..told him if he fell, just hang on we'd drag him...get to the gate to find that the nose gear is OFF the plane!! changing the tires and hydraulics!!!!!!!! YIPPEE>>.finally get on plane, land in SHV at midnight, supposed to have been there by 10!!!!! But now, we drive and plan a stop at the beach in Panama City or Destin....fun fun fun!!!

Mr Wizard

I think driving is the only way to go. I am scared to death of flying and after you have made the treck down and up I-95 about 30 or 40 times you know what and when to avoid to keep it smooth sailing. I don't need an over night stay in a hotel, just a few hours nap in a rest stop will do. Less expensive and it's a lot faster getting back on the road the next morning with out waiting for the better half to re-do the face, and hair, and outfit etc. etc. On the trip back if I leave Disney at 8 am I can be back in Baltimore by 10 pm without ever going more than 5 mph over the limit. And once I'm there I'm not locked in to just the room and parks. C'mon, how could you go back home without seeing the mermaids of Weeki Wachee or the Citrus Tower?

hokielutz

:fork:
It really more like 23 especialy if you drive the speed limit if you drive like Batman the way I do probaly 20.

Keep in mind that over 600 miles of the trip south through NC, SC, GA, and northern FL, the speed limit is 70. If you go with the general flow of the traffic, then your speed will likely average between 73 and 76MPH. State police look for the big offenders and don't pickoff someone going less than 9mph over on the Interstate. You could shave over a hour off your highway time. It worked for us.

datw@epcot

For those of you like me that are not close to WDW which do you prefer? I hate flying and am terrified of it but I live in NJ and it's a 23 hour drive to WDW. As much swim afraid to fly the flight is only 2 hours and I don't think I would drive again.

What about you guys?

where in NJ do you live? I live in CT and usually get there in 18-20 (best was 17.5 and stayed under 75 the entire way)

BuddhasHomeGirl

For those of you like me that are not close to WDW which do you prefer? I hate flying and am terrified of it but I live in NJ and it's a 23 hour drive to WDW. As much swim afraid to fly the flight is only 2 hours and I don't think I would drive again.

What about you guys?

FLY! I hate to fly also but this is how I get through it, I say to myself that in 2 hours I will be touching down in Florida and starting my new vacation....but If I DROVE then in 2 hours I would only be as far as New Jersey, and that would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

tigsmom

I've done both. I live about 45 miles north of NYC so it's about a 22 hour drive for us, but we don't do in all in one day. The drive is part of the vacation and we've stopped along the way to sightsee as well.

It is about 2 1/2 hours flight and we only fly if our time frame is a small one.
I don't tolerate flying very well (and neither do my girls), but we do what we have to do. We will be driving down to Florida this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom