Flying over Disney.

My husband loves to fly over places and photograph them. I have noticed some views from above in other threads. I was wondering how the flight over WDW was arranged.

Is this a privately arranged thing or does Disney offer this (for a price)?

cooleo

I believe the photos you are speaking of were taken by people who arranged these flights outside of Disney. I am not aware of any flights offered anywhere on the WDW property. :shrug:

Upvote 0

WDW Monorail

You may want to try Air Florida Helicopters located on I-Drive near the OC Convention Center.

I thought the airspace above disney was restricted???

Restricted up to and including 3000ft for VFR aircraft. All traffic must be granted permission and be in communication with Air Traffic Control.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Violators of the air space restrictions face drastic consequences. While everyone knows about the huge long-range missiles in the Castle, not many people know that the smaller spires are anti-aircraft, shorter range missiles. :lol:

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

My husband loves to fly over places and photograph them. I have noticed some views from above in other threads. I was wondering how the flight over WDW was arranged.

Is this a privately arranged thing or does Disney offer this (for a price)?

You cannot fly over Disney...it is a No Fly Zone. You'll notice walking around the parks you'll never see a plane overhead.

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

You may want to try Air Florida Helicopters located on I-Drive near the OC Convention Center.

Restricted up to and including 3000ft for VFR aircraft. All traffic must be granted permission and be in communication with Air Traffic Control.

These helicopters fly all over Orlando but not over Disney. You will never see a tourist chopper over Disney, not allowed.

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

http://www.mousetimes.com/wdwpictorials/03_29_07/index4.html
This is a link of someone elses disney pics. There is a helecopter in one of these pictures. Wonder what that was all about?

A little hard to tell, but it looks like one of our News Helicopters. They can get special permission to fly over as can the police department. The other one that says they fly over Epcot, may come as close as they are allowed but do not fly directly over any Disney Park.

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

According to Air Florida Helicopters on I-Drive, they'll fly you over EPCOT and DHS - I was looking forward to doing this when I come over in June!

See link...

http://www.airfloridahelicopters.com/orlando.html#tour5

Kev :wave:

If you read their ad really closely, you'll notice it says it flies "high above" Epcot, etc. Law requires they have to be 3000 ft above, so your not going to be as close as you think, compared to their other tours where there are no restrictions.

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

Here it is as reported by the Orlando Sentinel:

Orlando Sentinel May 11, 2003

NO-FLY ZONES SHIELD DISNEY'S RESORTS
By Sean Mussenden and Henry Pierson Curtis

Walt Disney Co. won a rare prize on the eve of the Iraq war when federal officials permanently closed the airspace above its theme parks in Florida and California -- ostensibly to protect against terrorist attacks.

Walt Disney World and Disneyland now have 24-hour security zones that put them on par with a select few potential targets in the United States, including President Bush's Texas ranch, nuclear submarine bases and stockpiles of sarin gas and other weapons of mass destruction.

Without public debate or even a request from the new Homeland Security Department, Congress bent its own rules to help Disney secure the no-fly zones at the urging of at least one well-connected company lobbyist.

The decision has angered pilots across the country who accuse Disney of manipulating the nation's terrorism fears for one clear commercial aim: to close public airspace over its parks as a way to ban competitors' aerial advertising planes and sightseeing helicopters.

Upvote 0

tinkerbell24

i went on the helecopter ride in 2001 and we flew over disney, not sure about now though as i never went again (i felt kinda sick by the time i came off lol)

Upvote 0

Simba One

Just fly commercial and hope for the best! :animwink:

2479973291_fdefc0bd7c_o.jpg

2479962093_b99934eba2_o.jpg

Upvote 0

yankspy

Hmm Then how is it that one plane flies around writing the religious things in the sky gets through?....

If you know what I'm talking about folks post a pic:wave:

LOL. I saw that one when I was there in March. I saw it at the hotel. The only thing I could think of was that I was staying at Saratoga and that sort of borders the edge of the property. I say this because it was not directly overhead and so it seemed that it was flying just at the edge of property.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hmm Then how is it that one plane flies around writing the religious things in the sky gets through?....

If you know what I'm talking about folks post a pic:wave:

I believe that they are not actually over WDW.

Of course, you know that WDW has missile silos strategically located around the parks for just such an event !

IcbmSkywriting.jpg

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

The pictures you are seeing are from quite far away. The second is a missile silo not an aircraft and more than likely shot by Disney for a special event that was going on, such as Night of Joy, that's a guess. But it is a "no fly zone" for any commercial traffic.

Upvote 0

tigfan

The pictures you are seeing are from quite far away. The second is a missile silo not an aircraft and more than likely shot by Disney for a special event that was going on, such as Night of Joy, that's a guess. But it is a "no fly zone" for any commercial traffic.

Psssst....um,...ahem...photoshop.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom