Flying over Disney.

My husband loves to fly over places and photograph them. I have noticed some views from above in other threads. I was wondering how the flight over WDW was arranged.

Is this a privately arranged thing or does Disney offer this (for a price)?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The pictures you are seeing are from quite far away. The second is a missile silo not an aircraft and more than likely shot by Disney for a special event that was going on, such as Night of Joy, that's a guess. But it is a "no fly zone" for any commercial traffic.

Oops, I forgot to include the obligatory facetious smilie.

The photo is a fake. (I should know-I faked it)

It is a photoshop compilation. :eek:

Upvote 0

WDW Monorail

You cannot fly over Disney...it is a No Fly Zone. You'll notice walking around the parks you'll never see a plane overhead.

You are 100% right.

These helicopters fly all over Orlando but not over Disney. You will never see a tourist chopper over Disney, not allowed.

Read the NOTAM for yourself issued on 8/30/07:

FDC 3/2122

TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTION

Location: Disney World Theme Park, Orlando, Florida near ORLANDO VORTAC (ORL)

Reason for NOTAM: Temporary Flight Restriction for Special Security Reasons

Ending Date: Effective Until Further Notice

Type: Security

Airspace Definition: Centered 14.8 nautical miles from ORLANDO VORTAC(ORL) on the 238 radial (Latitude: 28º24'45"N, Longitude: 81º34'20"W), in a 3 nm radius, from the surface up to and including 3,000 AGL

Operating Restrictions and Limitations: This restriction does not apply to:
(A) Those aircraft authorized by ATC for operational or safety purposes, including aircraft arriving or departing from an airport using standard air traffic procedures;
(B) Department of Defense, law enforcement, or aeromedical flight operations that are in contact with ATC. Those who meet any of the following criteria may apply for a waiver to these restrictions:
(a) for operational purposes of the venue including the transportation of equipment or officials of the governing body

Another can be seen at the following link... http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#3/2122

Upvote 0

Courtman

You cannot fly over Disney...it is a No Fly Zone. You'll notice walking around the parks you'll never see a plane overhead.

Not true. It is a Restricted zone, upto 3000ft. This doesn't mean you can't fly through it, with permission from Orlando Control I went through at 2000ft in January. They don't like you orbiting or flying circles at different levels, but it is most certainly possible in any light aircraft. We are both pilots and rented an aircraft from Sunstate Aviation in Kissimmee, I'm sure they'd find an instructor to take you up for a look-around. Above 3000ft you don't need any permission, and you will barely see or hear a light aircraft from that level.

We posted a load of aerial shots once on here but they are down at the moment on our site. If I can upload them again I'll post a link to the original pictures.

Upvote 0

EPCOT Explorer

I believe that they are not actually over WDW.

Of course, you know that WDW has missile silos strategically located around the parks for just such an event !

IcbmSkywriting.jpg

*golf clap*

(You shoulda gotten rid of the wand though.;))

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

Not true. It is a Restricted zone, upto 3000ft. This doesn't mean you can't fly through it, with permission from Orlando Control I went through at 2000ft in January. They don't like you orbiting or flying circles at different levels, but it is most certainly possible in any light aircraft. We are both pilots and rented an aircraft from Sunstate Aviation in Kissimmee, I'm sure they'd find an instructor to take you up for a look-around. Above 3000ft you don't need any permission, and you will barely see or hear a light aircraft from that level.

We posted a load of aerial shots once on here but they are down at the moment on our site. If I can upload them again I'll post a link to the original pictures.

I did say in a previous post you can fly at 3000 feet, and that with permission depending on the circumstances you can fly over. You didn't say anything I haven't already said. It's the tourist helicopters that they were originally asking about, and they are not allowed to fly over.

Upvote 0

daringstoic

When I was down on my CP, a friend of mine who was a flight instructor took me up from Orlando Executive Airport. It's about a 20 minute drive from WDW, right up I-4. We flew along the north and west borders of Disney property and saw all 4 parks, and most of the resorts. We then headed west along 192 and flew over an orange tree grove that someone had planted in the shape of Mickey's head. We even saw Universal in the distance toward the end of the filght. I even got to steer the plane a little. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life.

Here are some of the pix (sorry if they're huge. Photobucket is odd):

This one is (obviously) the MK with the Contemporary in the background. You can see the show buildings for Splash and Pirates, as well as parade storage.
DSCN0501.jpg

This one is Epcot (again, obviously), with what I believe is Caribbean Beach in the background (the little red and blue roofs on the right past the park).
DSCN0507.jpg

This one has then-MGM in the background. You can make out Tower in the upper left-hand corner, as well as the Coaster show building. I'm pretty sure that's Coronado Springs in the foreground.
DSCN0508.jpg

This ones DAK, with Safaris in the foreground and Everest in the back. You can also see the then-MGM in the background.
DSCN0512.jpg

The Mickey trees. If anyone knows exactly where this is located, please let me know. I've tried to find it on Google Earth, but I'm not sure exactly where it was located.
DSCN0525.jpg

Here's Universal. The three white dots in a row in the high center of the picture are the globes for the Universal 360 show. You can't make out much else because it was cloudy and rainy, though.
DSCN0536.jpg

Feel free to PM me if you want to see some more.

Upvote 0

WDW Monorail

I did say in a previous post you can fly at 3000 feet, and that with permission depending on the circumstances you can fly over. You didn't say anything I haven't already said. It's the tourist helicopters that they were originally asking about, and they are not allowed to fly over.

You stated that it was a No Fly Zone. There is a big difference between a no fly zone and restricted airspace.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The Mickey trees. If anyone knows exactly where this is located, please let me know. I've tried to find it on Google Earth, but I'm not sure exactly where it was located.
DSCN0525.jpg
The Mickey trees are located Northwest of property. In Google Earth, follow 192 West until it ends at Highway 27. Follow 27 North and you can't miss it. Here's an image from Google Earth:

MickeyMouseTrees.jpg

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

You stated that it was a No Fly Zone. There is a big difference between a no fly zone and restricted airspace.

We're getting a little technical here. Can't fly is can't fly no matter how it is said. I think your just picking here. I think we have gone way beyond what the original question was, and now people are going to start getting testy for no reason. So sorry if I did not use the right term, shoot me!

Thank you Unkadug.....your right, semantics. Appreciate your stepping up there.

Upvote 0

daringstoic

The Mickey trees are located Northwest of property. In Google Earth, follow 192 West until it ends at Highway 27. Follow 27 North and you can't miss it. Here's an image from Google Earth:

MickeyMouseTrees.jpg

Thanks! I was trying to show my mom, but I was looking too far to the west. I didn't remember heading north after we passed 27.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

We're getting a little technical here. Can't fly is can't fly no matter how it is said. I think your just picking here. I think we have gone way beyond what the original question was, and now people are going to start getting testy for no reason. So sorry if I did not use the right term, shoot me!

Thank you Unkadug.....your right, semantics. Appreciate your stepping up there.

Not to be picky but it's really not semantics if your a pilot. I am not one yet (time just does not permit) but I have been around and talked with lots of pilots.

Part of training as a pilot is that you are VERY EXACT. There is no matter of semantics. A No Fly Zone technicaly does not exist. There are Prohibited Zones, which are just that prohibited. A civillian pilot cannot enter them for any reason. There are alos restricted zones, such as WDW, than cannot be entered unless given permission from ATC.

It sounds picky, but from the pilots that I know, being picky and exact is what being a pilot is all about.

-dave

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

Not to be picky but it's really not semantics if your a pilot. I am not one yet (time just does not permit) but I have been around and talked with lots of pilots.

Part of training as a pilot is that you are VERY EXACT. There is no matter of semantics. A No Fly Zone technicaly does not exist. There are Prohibited Zones, which are just that prohibited. A civillian pilot cannot enter them for any reason. There are alos restricted zones, such as WDW, than cannot be entered unless given permission from ATC.

It sounds picky, but from the pilots that I know, being picky and exact is what being a pilot is all about.

-dave

I am not a pilot, but my son flies his own plane. He seems to understand what I say, whether I am using technical terms or not. My other son is a doctor, and he understands what people are saying to him even if they are not using the medical term....common guys...symantics here!!

Upvote 0

Erika

Very cool pictures! Thank you for posting. And I think we can move past the flight arguments as the question of what is and is not allowed has been answered already anyway. Let's just enjoy the photos- post 'em if you've got 'em!

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

Very cool pictures! Thank you for posting. And I think we can move past the flight arguments as the question of what is and is not allowed has been answered already anyway. Let's just enjoy the photos- post 'em if you've got 'em!

Amen.....I said that several threads back. Question has already been answered.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom