Floridians: Go see DL, Boycott WDW

Being a DL passholder, and going at least four times a year, and having just returned from the World in November, I can clearly state that I enjoy Disney. Granted I do thoroughly enjoy DL over MK, but that's not saying much. DL needs the better theming for the que's but that's about all.And as to the "fact" that DL was basically rotting before our eyes a few years prior to the 50th celebration, I'll have to go through my pictures to recall, because although I'm not ready for the senior citizen discount, my memory seems to fail me as to that.

PeeplMoovr

I am a frequent visitor of WDW, and I did visit DL prior to the 50th renovations. When I went it was in what I thought was sad shape - to the poster who mentioned "six flags"-type park: that was my impression at the time. I was disappointed at the time, having wanted to go there my whole life. I think some of the "grass is greener" things you've noticed there only came about in the last few years. Some rides there are better, others here are better to me. I do look forward to going back now that improvements have been made, but that visit to DL make me realize how lucky I was to be near WDW.

I think size alone means WDW's improvements will come slower - there is just so much more to keep up here compared to in DLR. And while I do think WDW management needs a kick in the over quite a few things, I remain hopeful that it will receive the TLC it deserves some time before too long.

I'll keep renewing my PAP until there are sure signs WDW is falling apart. While at times I like to pretend it is (particularly when Horizons was removed), I think that's a long way off. Things need improvement, for sure, but I would be just plain spoiled if I agreed in whole with the OP. Disney may have grown faster than their maintenance crew can keep up with, but I still think I get my money's worth each year. :animwink:

CTXRover

And as to the "fact" that DL was basically rotting before our eyes a few years prior to the 50th celebration, I'll have to go through my pictures to recall, because although I'm not ready for the senior citizen discount, my memory seems to fail me as to that.

I don't have any pictures myself since I am not one to go into the parks and look for what is necessarily wrong, but I remember the photo essays and repeated discussions of how DL's maintenance had dropped off significantly in the late 90's, early part of the 2000s. I did a quick google search to see if any of those were still online and I found an article from mouseplanet about the condition of just the Tiki room prior to its rehab, including pictures of the "rotting" I referred to. There were many parts of DL that had similar problems prior to its 50th: http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/tiki.htm. Scroll about 3/4 down to see the "ugly" pictures. Here is another pic of DL's HM in 2002 I believe: http://www.mouseplanet.com/shame/hm01.jpg Thankfully, all of this is a thing of the past and hopefully DL will never be left to get that bad again. Luckily the MK has never been left to get to this bad of condition. It is important though that WDW and MK keep from ever letting things get that bad as well. Apparently if you nitpick, there are already some areas that need some good touch-ups, but again, I tend not to try and focus on finding those things when I'm personally at the park. It ruins the fun imo.

dreamscometrue

Perhaps you should be thankful that you live close enough to visit every year if you so choose and have the resources to go to DL if you like that park better. Millions of people never have an opportunity to go to WDW, and a great number of others can only get there once or twice in a lifetime. Although I agree that there can always be improvements, a boycot? I feel badly that you appear to have lost sight of what an awesome place it is relative to every other park on the planet.

In some cases, but not all, I believe that people who can get there often, or easily, simply are much more critical. I have to drive 8 hours to get to a theme park of any merit, so I am in awe every second of every day I spend at WDW. I hope you can appreciate how fortunate you are and enjoy the magic again.

I tend not to try and focus on finding those things when I'm personally at the park. It ruins the fun imo.

I too agree that it ruins the magic. I should have clarified myself, for that I apologize. I don't go looking for any disruption of the magic. I believe that I'm just so happy to be at the parks that I don't notice any of the much needed touchups.

sponono88

while in DL let me know how there mission space is. Oh sorry not there. But atleast you can gives a heads up on how they laid out there test track oops not there either, well atleast the Everest must be great... three strikes. My point being is that there is so much more to WDW then just MK. THere are four parks two water park, a huge DTD area and too many resort to count right now

Hmm.. Well I think it's safe to say you haven't visited DL :rolleyes:

Someone on MiceChat compared DL and WDW using this analogy:

WDW= A really big hamburger with very little meat.

DL= A small hamburger, with the best meat possible and bacon on top :D

DL is Walt's baby. Without it there would be no Magic Kingdom or WDW. And sadly, WDW has turned into a cheesy, tourist vacation spot. Sure, it's nice to have water parks..but at DL you get more than just water parks and golf courses: you get rides that actually work! Not only that, you get holiday versions of those rides! and a better Fantasmic, better fireworks show, better parades, better CM's, better everything! :wave:

Those of you who are saying WDW is better: you clearly haven't been to DL! and if you have, then I guess you just prefer average rides and a subpar Disney experience.

and if you want more reasons why DL is better, then read this thread: http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46584:wave:

Dragonrider1227

Well, let's face it people. There's alot less to take care of in DL than at WDW. Therefore, they have to spread out what gets refurbed and such so not as much gets AS much refurb
I've never been to Disneyland, but I can tell it gets better treatment year round then WDW. That being said, you couldn't get me out of WDW if you paid me. Maybe I have to actually GO there.

nerdboyrockstar

When I visted DL a few months ago, I really had no expectations. I really just had dreamed of riding Indiana Jones Adventure since it opened and finally had the opportunity to make it out there. I was also excited to be able to ride Alice, Roger Rabbit, Pinocchio, etc. for the first time.

I'm definitely a WDW vet. I've been a passholder for a few years and am currently one now.. But I was REALLY impressed with Disneyland. I was almost in awe the entire time. Every single ride, I would come out impressed with how much better it was than MK.

I honestly think MK's Pooh is better. And I think MK had a better Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (which is still at DL!). But other than that, every single ride experience in DL is better than MK.

ADevereaux

WDW vs. DL

Being a native Floridian and still living in South Fl, I probably won't get out to DL any time soon. ;)

I love WDW but then again, I have nothing to compare it to. I've only gone to WDW here in FL. I have heard from most people who have been to both parks that DL blew them away in comparison, however.

That said - I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TO WDW DAY AFTER TOMORROW!!! :sohappy:

DubyooDeeDubyoo

Long time Disneylander, one-time Florida-visitor. Going back to the World in under 50 days now.

DL, despite being the place I loved as a child, just doesn't "have it" anymore. Yes, it's nice right now, but give that about two years (which is a normal waiting period between WDW visits for many people) and see how it looks. I guarantee you all of that 50th polish will have worn off. Then I have to deal with the fact that everything feels so cramped compared to MK. Just the buildings on Main Street make me feel like a giant amidst midget buildings, while on Main Street at MK I feel like a kid again.

DL has even bigger dilemma than WDW in that even on it's bad days it's still the best attraction in southern CA, so they have a lot of APs who renew each year and will keep on coming no matter how bad it gets. For instance, the current cast is pretty shameful compared to what it used to be before the AP Invasion of the 90s.

You also can see all of DL in 2 days, which is kind of annoying.

EDIT:
Just compare the two fantasylands. In Disneyland each ride in Fantasyland has its own unique facade, in WDW with the exception of Pinocchios Village Haus (Or however you spell it) all the facades look somewhat like the castle with colorful banners on them.
Ever seen old pictures of Disneyland? Prior to 1984 (I think?) DL's Fantasyland looked even worse than MK's. MK's is actually an interesting half-way point between the 50s-70s Fantasyland and the remade one at DL.

Cliff

That's so ironic. Just before I saw this thread, I was thinking about starting a thread that was very similar to this one. I was going to suggest boycotting DL untill they put as much money into it as WDW does. (J/K)

I have been to DL twice in two years and it doesn't hold a candle to WDW in that catagory. Their Tomorroland is sad..seasonal Fantasmic blackouts? (that's cheap)

Don't get me wrong I LOVE DL to death but it needs help.

(just my $.o2)

CT

www.whoiscliff.com

MetFan81

I have never been to DL but have been to WDW tons of times and most recently, DLP.

I have heard that DL is better than the MK and probably would have to say that in some ways DLP was better than the MK. DLP is very large and has tons of detail put into most of its orginial attractions, aka what was built prior to the financial problems.

However, DLP and DL are different monsters than WDW. First of all DL has its regular base guests who frankly are more vocal than we are. Secondly, DL only has a sister park which is probably inferior to any disney park other than DSP.

Thus, WDW's budget and priorites are spread. While HM and SM need repairs in the worest ways, WDW was rewareded with such things as the Nemo show at AK, Everest, Soaring, etc.. in the last few years.

I think Disney would be better served by keeping the MK up to DL "recent level" but to be fair WDW has so much more going on. I have been very pleased with how well WDW has held up and recently there have been so many quality additions.

If WDW starts making such major additions as "Alladin's Magic Carpets" or "Dino-Rama" again then I will be ed. Instead we have been getting quality just in a more spread out different sort of maner.

KaliSplash

Would love to visit DL to see the original. It is clearly more cramped, but has more stuff than the MK.

That said, I'll always prefer WDW with its much broader range of things to do.

sponono88

That's so ironic. Just before I saw this thread, I was thinking about starting a thread that was very similar to this one. I was going to suggest boycotting DL untill they put as much money into it as WDW does. (J/K)

I have been to DL twice in two years and it doesn't hold a candle to WDW in that catagory. Their Tomorroland is sad..seasonal Fantasmic blackouts? (that's cheap)

Don't get me wrong I LOVE DL to death but it needs help.

(just my $.o2)

CT

www.whoiscliff.com

At least DL didn't close the subs to put in a Pooh playground :lol: DL's Tomorrowland will have Finding Nemo submarines.. in addition it has a much better Space Mountain and BLAB:)

Finding Nemo Subs > Pooh's playground :wave:

sponono88

Would love to visit DL to see the original. It is clearly more cramped, but has more stuff than the MK.

That said, I'll always prefer WDW with its much broader range of things to do.

Yes, you'll prefer WDW because you haven't been to DL. Again, quality > quantity :wave:

mharrington

hmm... so they ultimately figured out that 32 was somehow greater than 38. :veryconfu

Guess that's Lutz math. :rolleyes:

Actually, A) the third round was different than the first two (a new strategy was used there); B) Lutz didn't do that article; a guest author named Ted Tamburo did that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom