Floridians: Go see DL, Boycott WDW

mharrington

Would love to visit DL to see the original. It is clearly more cramped, but has more stuff than the MK.

That said, I'll always prefer WDW with its much broader range of things to do.

Ah, da da da da DA-A!! So confused... what to think?? DL and its small space but more attractions or WDW and its bigger spacer but much less attractions?!? My brain is splitting in half! :veryconfu

Actually, maybe WDW is bigger and with more parks and hotels, but I like DL better. I've been there more, I feel it has a quality and history to it (it was the only one that Walt actually lived to see after all), I live in California (I specifically live eight hours north of Disneyland, near Sacramento) and the moral of one of Aesop's Fables is: "Quality is more important than quantity."

DubyooDeeDubyoo

Yes, you'll prefer WDW because you haven't been to DL. Again, quality > quantity :wave:

If WDW were firing on all cylinders, which it's not, it would clearly outpace DL.

DL is nice. I've been there enough times to know that, but it's not and never will be WDW. If DL is a better value for the dollar than WDW, which many would argue it is, it's because of the dip in the thinktank at WDW right now. A few years ago, when the parking lot was being torn up and Rocket Rods had 160 minute lines, the DL braintrust was not at it's best, either.

I have heard that DL is better than the MK and probably would have to say that in some ways DLP was better than the MK. DLP is very large and has tons of detail put into most of its orginial attractions, aka what was built prior to the financial problems.
If you've seen that you kind of have an idea of what the main allure at DL is. Most restaurants, attractions, and entertainment that survived the future GAP executives running things in the 90s were the product of Walt's own imagination. You can go to the train station and ride in Walt's own boxcar or eat at Plaza Inn and admire the interior decorating that the Disney family hand-picked.

This isn't everywhere in the resort, mind you. In Tomorrowland the 90s crew practically worked with a vengeance to tear apart anything Walt had something to do with other than the Monorail which stops there inside the park. But it's still very prevalent on Main Street, Frontierland, Adventureland, and Fantasyland. As well as New Orleans Square which is probably the most elaborately detailed non-DisneySea region in a park, and when it opened it was as jaw-dropping as a TDS region is today.

Keep in mind many Disneylanders have been going there all their lives and a lot of their passion basically revolves around maintaining a favorite period of their youth. California Adventure, while an ill-conceived park in theme and public areas, imports some of the attractions that WDW had held as exclusive for some time such as ToT and Muppets and ITTBAB and Kali River Rapids (in the form of Grizzly River Run) and they mostly don't care about any of it. They'd rather spend their time wondering why the Carousel of Progress, an older ride from many fans' formative years, isn't "home where it belongs."

So yes, DL is mostly as good as you've heard. It's the former playground of Walt, and it's the playground of WDI since Glendale is so close. But most of the DL fan club are lifetime visitors who just about want to seal the park under a bubble and preserve their childhood years. And even Walt wasn't completely satisfied with the place, else he wouldn't have bought the WDW land in the first place. WDW is still the flagship, it's just not behaving as such. A pity.

rcapolete

Hmm.. Well I think it's safe to say you haven't visited DL :rolleyes:

Someone on MiceChat compared DL and WDW using this analogy:

WDW= A really big hamburger with very little meat.

DL= A small hamburger, with the best meat possible and bacon on top :D

DL is Walt's baby. Without it there would be no Magic Kingdom or WDW. And sadly, WDW has turned into a cheesy, tourist vacation spot. Sure, it's nice to have water parks..but at DL you get more than just water parks and golf courses: you get rides that actually work! Not only that, you get holiday versions of those rides! and a better Fantasmic, better fireworks show, better parades, better CM's, better everything! :wave:

Those of you who are saying WDW is better: you clearly haven't been to DL! and if you have, then I guess you just prefer average rides and a subpar Disney experience.

and if you want more reasons why DL is better, then read this thread: http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46584
Actually i was there twice before the make over. I will say that i was less then impressed. I felt that it was not much more then SIx Flag Great Adventure in Jersey. The only difference was the Magical feeling that you get from being in DL but as far as the actual park goes again less then impressed but that just me. I will take the four park in DW over One redone park in DL any day.

DisneyMusician2

Sometimes I wonder if it is a requirement of being a fan of Disney to criticize the heck out of all of their decisions and attractions. The rehabs are coming, and I don't think any Disney experience can really be subpar, otherwise we wouldn't all be members of this board. There is a reason you don't see Six Flags boards around too often. Enjoy the magic, and stop creating issues past those already around.

We go to WDW 3 times a year and every time we go Disney has always had a new ride or rehab. When we go back for New Years we're looking forward too Nemo and Pirates. I have no desire to go to Disneyland that sits next to that amusement park.

DisneyMusician2

As a Disney fan, you should want to experience both parks. And the ones in Paris and Tokyo and Hong Kong. See the different experiences that each aprk can offer. Who knows what you might be missing.

Shaman

DL > MK
DL > Epcot
DL > MGM
DL > DAK

Um....James...I'll give you DL > MK and DL > Studios...but...Epcot and AK are better than DL...

:lookaroun

(this is sooo silly..yet fun) :lol:

Okay okay...where does Universal fall in all of this...:p

Logan5

multiple magic kimgdoms

As a Disney fan, you should want to experience both parks. And the ones in Paris and Tokyo and Hong Kong. See the different experiences that each aprk can offer. Who knows what you might be missing.

i luckily have had the chance to go to three magic kingdoms more then once. Living in florida i grew up 4 hours from the parks, and i have visited DLP twice and DL 4 times.
Each park has its bonuses, and weakneses...

In june i visited DL, and i once again was blown away, not necesarily by the amazing atractions it has.....But by the shear kinetic atmosphere, and attention to detail...

The size also forces the park to have so much going on around you constantly....

everytime ive gone there i feel like i felt when i was young at WDW magic kingdom.

Now unlike alot of people here i feel our SM kicks but, it just needs some help....
I like the uniqueness of ours....It can still rock with to tracks and alot of love

on the other hand liberty square,fantasyland need to be redeveloped, or renamed strolerland..

And then DLP is a whole other monster entirely......So strikingly beautiful, but not as pychedelic as DL....

So in conclusion i would say they all have there good and bad points...

But people should only compare the M KINGDOMS, not DL to WDW....

JimboJones123

There may soon be a massive expanding of MK. If a few more attractions make this a 2 day park... Monsters/Incredibles -- who knows how big the park could get. I'd rather have a 2/3 day MK than a 5th gate.

sponono88

the problem with DL is that they have this crap called the california adeventure. I love all 4 WDW parks.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all. I don't know how you can hate California Adventure when most of the rides there are also at WDW.

The playhouse disney show, Muppetvision 3D, Tower of Terror, Soarin, animation building, etc :wave:

sponono88

DL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V8jSAFAfgY

WDW:
IASW_02_050319_bennett.jpg
:dazzle::dazzle:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom