Floridians: Go see DL, Boycott WDW

blackerbys17

Well, I guess I'll soon get to judge for myself. Though I never thought I would want to, I have decided to take my family to Disneyland this summer instead of WDW. Not an easy decission to make since we live in Miami and WDW is only 4 hours away, not to mention we are passholders. But, I go to WDW SO often that I need a change. So, this coming year I don't think I'll renew our passes (which expire in May 07) and I'll limit my Disney visits to a WDW business trip in Jan., my WDW vow renewal in March, Disneyland in June, and MNSSHP in WDW in Oct. Wow, only 3 visits to WDW this year? That is quite the change from our 10 trips this year! I hope I don't go into withdrawal, lol...

Can't wait to see Disneyland though!

TP2000

I bet you'll have a blast, especially because you can do the whole compare/contrast thing that keeps any Disney fan busy for hours and hours.

And the refreshingly dry summer weather in SoCal is a priceless extra thrown in for free, compliments of Mother Nature. :sohappy:

blackerbys17

I bet you'll have a blast, especially because you can do the whole compare/contrast thing that keeps any Disney fan busy for hours and hours.

And the refreshingly dry summer weather in SoCal is a priceless extra thrown in for free, compliments of Mother Nature. :sohappy:

Hmmm, I have never been to California before. Are you saying I can actually expect decent weather in the summer?:confused: I don't know what that is like since I have lived in South Florida all my 30 years. What is the average temperature like? Oooo, I am getting excited!!!:sohappy:

TP2000

Hmmm, I have never been to California before. Are you saying I can actually expect decent weather in the summer?:confused:

Ah, the weather. I've never lived in South Florida, but I spent many years in Charleston, South Carolina, as well as some years in Tidewater Virginia, so I'm fairly adept at Southeast summer weather. The summer weather in SoCal is almost the complete opposite.

July/August in SoCal offers completely cloudless skies, warm temperatures, and almost a statistical impossibility of rain. It has rained here three times in the last two weeks, brief passing showers or sprinkles, and that was the first rain we've gotten since March, 2006. Summertime temps are generally in the mid to upper 80's, with lows in the mid to upper 60's. Obviously you can get a heat wave occasionally that will send temps into the 90's, but that's unpredictable. September is actually hotter than July on average. But the biggest difference is the very low humidity and complete lack of rain. SoCal is, after all, a coastal desert climate zone. That's why they built the Hoover Dam; to supply all the drinking fountains in Los Angeles. :lol:

There's a reason Disneyland has so many outdoor rides, uncovered patios and dancefloors, and open and non-airconditoned queues. And that reason is that rain is very rare in SoCal and mostly confined to mid December through mid March on the calendar. Rides like It's A Small World or Winnie The Pooh or Alice In Wonderland or Matterhorn Bobsleds have outdoor boarding areas without any covering. And some rides like Teacups or StorybookLand Canal Boats are completely outdoors, with the only roof being the short time the Canal Boats go inside Monstro The Whale's gaping mouth. The favorable weather also allows Disneyland to continue to operate unique attractions like the Davy Crockett Canoes or the Sailing Ship Columbia that leave riders exposed to the elements or doing some physical labor, things that would not be popular in Disney World when its so often hot and muggy and rainy.

A summer night at Disneyland is the most magical place I've ever experienced at night in a Disney park. Disneyland has outdoor dancefloors in Tomorrowland and near the Castle where they have live swing bands, pop groups, and big band orchestras and everyone dances under the stars. When you add in the fireworks and Fantasmic! and the glorious summer weather, a night at Disneyland is unmatched when it comes to atmosphere and romance. Even if you don't want to dance, it's fun to just watch from the sidelines for a bit. I recommend the swing dancing to Big Band sounds at the Plaza Gardens dancefloor, some of the dancers there are regulars and they are very talented swing dancers. At Tomorrowland Terrace they have pop groups and the bandstand comes up out of the ground to start every set.

Southern California is very different than Florida, and thus Disneyland is very different from Walt Disney World. The climate is one of the biggest differences, and it manifests itself in much different architecture and park operations at Disneyland, particularly in summer.

What part of summer are you planning on visiting SoCal?

davewasbaloo

Hmmm, I have never been to California before. Are you saying I can actually expect decent weather in the summer?:confused: I don't know what that is like since I have lived in South Florida all my 30 years. What is the average temperature like? Oooo, I am getting excited!!!:sohappy:

You will have a blast blackerbys17. So Cal has beautiful weather, and DL has a whole different vibe. It comes alive and feels like a community - something I've never felt in WDW. If you have time, you might find the compare/contrast thing to be fun at Universal Studios as well - it's a real TV/Film studios, but it is better for older kids (so keep that in mind).

Have a great time.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Well, I guess I'll soon get to judge for myself. Though I never thought I would want to, I have decided to take my family to Disneyland this summer instead of WDW. Not an easy decission to make since we live in Miami and WDW is only 4 hours away, not to mention we are passholders. But, I go to WDW SO often that I need a change. So, this coming year I don't think I'll renew our passes (which expire in May 07) and I'll limit my Disney visits to a WDW business trip in Jan., my WDW vow renewal in March, Disneyland in June, and MNSSHP in WDW in Oct. Wow, only 3 visits to WDW this year? That is quite the change from our 10 trips this year! I hope I don't go into withdrawal, lol...

You will likely have a very good time. Seeing attractions that are not in WDW is the a big plus, although the actual size of the parks are smaller.

Also an added benefite, you likely would not have the opportunity to experience the earth shaking beneath your feet in Florida as it tends to do in California. Have a great trip. :D

Shaman

Ah, the weather. I've never lived in South Florida, but I spent many years in Charleston, South Carolina, as well as some years in Tidewater Virginia, so I'm fairly adept at Southeast summer weather. The summer weather in SoCal is almost the complete opposite.

Great post.

Back in 2003 we went to DL in August...and yeah...loved the weather. Cali weather is great (although I'll admit the thought of a possible earthquake was always in the back of my mind).

Florida has great spring weather...and if you don't mind the heat, the autumn isn't so bad (not to mention the warmer winters). In the summer though you're hit with nasty, sticky heat and afternoon thunderstorms.

I would still take WDW in the rain over DL in the dry sun. :lookaroun :lol: :p

blackerbys17

WOW, that was a lot of information, thank you!!! I was not aware so many of the rides were open in Disneyland. To be honest, I know very little about Disneyland except that the castle is somewhat smaller than ours, that everyone seems to think your Space Mountain is better than ours (I'm sure they are right), that Pirates is a LOT longer on your side, and that Disneyland has several attractions and rides from all our parks making Disneyland into a sort of 4 for 1 park for us Floridians. I also know you have a second park and that you have 3 official Disney hotels and even a Downtown Disney too. Short of that, I don't know much more so I better go pick up a guide book at the bookstore in order to prepare!

To answer your question TP2000, I plan to go right after my son's school lets out for summer vacation. They end school around June 3rd so I am thinking 1st-2nd week of June. My birthday is actually on June 17th so I think I am going to make it so we arrive on June 16 in LAX (or another local airport) and that way, our first day at Disneyland will be on June 17th, my birthday!!!:sohappy: Makes sense, I turned 30 on Big Thunder Mountain in WDW this year so this coming year, it only makes sense to turn 31 at Disneyland!

I plan to spend 4 nights in the Disneyland/LA area with probably only 2 1/2 of those days being actual park days since I do want to see things like Hollywood. Then DH and I plan to drive to Las Vegas (I've been told it's only a 4 hour drive) since we have never been there. We don't gamble but I've always wanted to see and stay at the Vegas hotels like Bellagio, the Mirage, and the Venetian (where I REALLY want to stay). My plan is to stay 2 nights in Vegas. Then after that, DH and I plan on driving about 2 hours to Zion National Park in Southern Utah and stay 2 days there in a park cabin (think Wilderness Lodge sort of thing). After that, we'll drive 2 hours back to the Las Vegas airport and fly back home from there. I figured an 8 night stay should give us a good sampler of the west coast and covers all our bases: My LOVE for anything Disney, DH's and I's love for architecture (Vegas), and DH's love of the great outdoors.

My oldest son should have lots of fun too. His paternal grandmother lives in So. Cali so after visiting Disneyland, he is going to spend the summer in the San Bernandino area with her. He'll fly back after his birthday in late July. So, this should be quite the summer for us, I can't wait!!!:sohappy:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Florida has great spring weather...and if you don't mind the heat, the autumn isn't so bad (not to mention the warmer winters). In the summer though you're hit with nasty, sticky heat and afternoon thunderstorms.

I would still take WDW in the rain over DL in the dry sun. :lookaroun :lol: :p

Sounds like Houston....just no Disney Parks to make it worth it. :lol:

Shaman

To answer your question TP2000, I plan to go right after my son's school lets out for summer vacation. They end school around June 3rd so I am thinking 1st-2nd week of June. My birthday is actually on June 17th so I think I am going to make it so we arrive on June 16 in LAX (or another local airport) and that way, our first day at Disneyland will be on June 17th, my birthday!!!:sohappy: Makes sense, I turned 30 on Big Thunder Mountain in WDW this year so this coming year, it only makes sense to turn 31 at Disneyland!

Cool! We spent three days in Vegas before flying to DL for the rest of our vacation. You'll have a blast I'm sure. I don't remember, but I think there is another airport you can fly to (you probably know that...but just in case)...Orange County I think? I remember it was kinda small...

Anyway...enjoy! :wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Cool! We spent three days in Vegas before flying to DL for the rest of our vacation. You'll have a blast I'm sure. I don't remember, but I think there is another airport you can fly to (you probably know that...but just in case)...Orange County I think? I remember it was kinda small...

There is Bob Hope airport (formerly Burbank). Its a little Northwest of L.A. but a much easier airport to get in and out of.

Shaman

Atleast you don't have to deal with the crazy tourist traffic...especially around Christmas. :dazzle:

Hey...wasn't Disney going to build a park in Texas? You know after WDW's 5th gate....:lookaroun

blackerbys17

Eh, what are you going to do, to each his own right? I personally doubt that I will ever boycott WDW but I do look forward to seeing what Disneyland has to offer. If nothing else, it is the "original". It will be SO much fun to compare and contrast like others have said and to walk where Walt once walked, I'm sure it will all seem very magical to me.

Nicole220

There's John Wayne Airport in Orange County. It's smaller than LAX and much better in my opinion.

blackerbys17

Yeah, I know I have several airports to pick from, I always fly Southwest and I can choose from like 3 or 4 near Disneyland. I think the shortest travel time is using LAX. The others seems to have longer connections, but we'll see. Right now I can only book through May 10 with Southwest so I have to wait till June is bookable next month. At least I only have to fly into LAX once, I'll be flying out of Las Vegas.

mitchjs

i booked with southwest $244 round trip from Phila
then im taking a supershuttle to CandyCane Inn
(not bothering to rent car) $15 per person

oh, big reason for LAX, SW offers more NonStop flights there from philly

Mitch
(DL Feb 2 - 5th,2007)

blackerbys17

Yeah, unfortunately, Southwest doesn't have non-stop flights from Fort Lauderdale so I'll have to make at least 1 stop. Oh well, I still love Southwest. I fly them so much that we are using our Rapid Rewards vouchers for our trip so the cost of our flights is $0!

CBOMB

What are you talking about? I love Houston in the summer time. I just stay inside all day with my air conditioner set on 65.:D I'm also anxiously waiting for that park they are going to build down here in Texas. I believe almost every town in Texas has been named as a likely site. I think that rumor first got started when they were building Astroworld ( now gone ), then later on when they were building Hanna-Barbera Land ( now Splash Town ). Anyway back to the original topic. Each and every park, I would imagine has it's own charm. I've been to WDW, and DL I would love to experience the other parks. As of right now WDW is my favorite spot on the planet. Just my opinion, different strokes, for different folks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom