Floridians: Go see DL, Boycott WDW

Justin Jones

Okay, I grew up going to Disney World with my family. As a matter of fact, I still visit every summer for a week or so. I'm a now a second year in college in southern California. No matter how great of a day I have at Disneyland (I now have an annual pass!), I still do not enjoy it as much as Disney World (NOT EVEN CLOSE). Disney World is 47 miles^2 of pure happiness while Disneyland seems to fit on a few city blocks. Sure, some of DL's attractions are kept in better condition. But how can you complain that DL's Space Mountain is better when WDW has Expedition Everest, Rockin' Roller Coaster, and a MUCH better version of Tower???? If anyone in Florida wants wants to trade parks with us in So Cal, I'm for it in a heartbeat.

:) :shrug:

mitchjs

Im back!

I really liked disneyland...

i need to put together a post and review each ride...

NO FEAR WDW, Disneyland didnt come close...

BUT THERE ARE TWO ATTACTIONS that KICK BUTT OVER WDW
and since they are classic i will review

its POTC and Space Mountian...

DISNEY CLOSE SPACE MOUNTIAN NoW and do what u did in DL!!!
WOW! a great ride!

when i leave the park, i always ask my daughter whats the best ride in DL/WDW

its usually Tower Of Terror... this time at DL its Caliafornia Screaming...
followed by Tower Of Terror, which oddly enough is slightly different then the Florida one...

More soon...
Mitch

marksniles

I've decided. I'm boycotting WDW until they put money into the parks - enough so that the WDW parks are caught up with DL.

This is coming from a Floridian, who has traditionally visited WDW almost every year. Why am I boycotting WDW? Answer: I've seen what WDW is desperately missing. I've seen the details and the amount of care put into our West Coast sibling, and I am shocked that the WDC has not kept WDW as modern, up-to-date, and as-well up-kept as DL!

Why the sudden rebellion? Well, a couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to visit DL while on a trip to Southern California. I am still in awe as far as my impression of that park. Almost every ride: Space Mountain, Pirates, Its a Small World (always skipped the WDW version in recent years, but I actually enjoyed the DL version), Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Pooh... all far more superior than their WDW counterparts.

Not a litttle, but a lot. Space Mountain, for example, rides on new smooth tracks (that are invisible to its riders) and rocks with a killer sound track. Florida's old rickety Space Mountain needs to be rebuilt desperately. Buzz Lightyear and Pooh are not placeholder attractions to fill in space of former attractions that got gutted (namely Take Flight and Mr. Toad) as is the case in Florida, but these attractions at DL were built on new ride systems designed for those rides, not built over the ride systems of closed rides.

Haunted Mansion and Pirates may have a better outside and que area at WDW, but are completely better at DL! Haunted Mansion at DL has effects that just work better and seem to be more up-to-date. For instance, the singing ghosts faces are perfectly in sync to the vocal tracks of 'grimm grinning ghosts'. The dog being walked actually moves, compared to the WDW version that is not animated. Pirates is much longer and gets updated every few years, compared to WDW's version that finally got its first update since it opened in 1973!

I have no desire to ever go back to WDW until management gives those parks the care and attention DL gets. I do plan on going to CA more often and will visit DL each time. To those who have been to WDW so many times and never DL, I seriously suggest that you visit DL. After you see what I am talking about, please join me in boycotting WDW!

Don't forget that DL just celebrated their 50th anniversary and the parks got a major touch up for the event. Also their Space Mountain was down for nearly 2 years for that rehab.

mitchjs

YES i know...

this post is why i went to DL vs WDW (this time)

CLOSE SM for two years then a WDW...

Our tomorrowland BLOWS DL away!
in looks and attactractions(except SM), yea Stitch takes WDW a knotch

in a day or so, ill compare WDW MK to DLR

since i went to both in < 1 years time

mitch

Fried Chicken

Wow, I read this whole thread, from the trolls to the biases of everyone here. Some people here are just super petty! What's next? Our asphalt is better looking than your ashphalt!
All I can really say about this subject is that the person who said that Walt created Disney World because he didn't like Disneyland.. this is my response.:lol:

That is so untrue and so false that all I can really do is :lol: .

Some people don't understand what facts and opinions are.

Fact- Disneyland, as a whole, right now, is currently maintained better than the Magic Kingdom. That's what the original poster was trying to point out before everyone dropped their elementary school education at the door and entered the thread.
Fact- Whether you say Disney World is better or not does not make it so and vice versa, no matter how immature you make your post to be.

Brian_B

I thought the stretch room in DL's HM was incredible. So much more effective than WDW - I didn't care at all for HMH though. It seemed forced.

DubyooDeeDubyoo

CLOSE SM for two years then a WDW...

From the opposite point of view, a Disneyland-goer looking east towards foreign territory, I don't understand these kinds of ideas. Not only can MK not withstand losing Space for two years, but this is WDW and the point was room. Why not just keep Space as it is and build an even better dark coaster somewhere nearby? Fantasyland doesn't just run one dark ride at a time.

Then again, they threw out a submarine lagoon for absolutely no explainable reason, so maybe I have unrealistic expectations about how that side operates.

Nicole220

Okay, I grew up going to Disney World with my family. As a matter of fact, I still visit every summer for a week or so. I'm a now a second year in college in southern California. No matter how great of a day I have at Disneyland (I now have an annual pass!), I still do not enjoy it as much as Disney World (NOT EVEN CLOSE). Disney World is 47 miles^2 of pure happiness while Disneyland seems to fit on a few city blocks. Sure, some of DL's attractions are kept in better condition. But how can you complain that DL's Space Mountain is better when WDW has Expedition Everest, Rockin' Roller Coaster, and a MUCH better version of Tower???? If anyone in Florida wants wants to trade parks with us in So Cal, I'm for it in a heartbeat.

:) :shrug:
This is just my opinion but, I think DCA's ToT is a lot better than the one in MGM. When we went to WDW this past November, my mom and I went on it and were disappointed and a bit bored.

From a local's point of view, I really like DL because it's somewhere I can go for a few hours and enjoy myself. It is a great weekend getaway unlike WDW. WDW is for week long vacations that attract people from around the world. So of course it is going to be bigger and have more rides. DL is more for the locals who want to get away from the world for a few hours. Both are great parks and have their own pros and cons, but realize they are now geared toward different groups: the week long vacationing family, and the locals.

Nicole220

From the opposite point of view, a Disneyland-goer looking east towards foreign territory, I don't understand these kinds of ideas. Not only can MK not withstand losing Space for two years, but this is WDW and the point was room. Why not just keep Space as it is and build an even better dark coaster somewhere nearby? Fantasyland doesn't just run one dark ride at a time.

Then again, they threw out a submarine lagoon for absolutely no explainable reason, so maybe I have unrealistic expectations about how that side operates.
I think WDW really needs the DL makeover! It isn't in the best of conditions. If the DL visitors can handle Space being down for two years, then WDW guests can handle it as well. WDW has three other parks for them to visit, we only have DL and DCA....

I don't think MK needs more rides, they really need to spend their money fixing the ones that are already there such as HM and Space.

Chux

After 7 or so visits to WDW in the past 4 years, me and my GF have decided to make the trek west. We got a great offer on the Grand Californian and park passes (She's a Travel Agent FTW) I guess I'll come back in here in March and post my opinions as well.

Can't wait though!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
6 days for me till I go to DLR :D

So Dave... how the hell does a Californian end up in Bedford?

davewasbaloo

6 days for me till I go to DLR :D

So Dave... how the hell does a Californian end up in Bedford?

Well my mom fell in love with a Brit and we moved here when I was 12. I married a brit, and besides being in love with her, I love 25 days of annual leave a year and very little gun crime. :D

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I started this thread in 2006 before the current maintainence woes. My concern back then was that dated attractions need to be updated. Well, now, some have been updated but others are not being maintained properly.

Since I wrote the message that started this thread seven years ago, Haunted Mansion got the upgrade and rehab I wanted to see. The other attractions I mentioned got a bum deal. I was really lookin forward to Space Mountain's update but they failed to make it the great attraction it could be, like the one over at DL.

Since that post, I did go back to DL and I was shocked how much better it was since the time before. I have not been back to WDW since 2006, following through to this day on a boycott that has gone on now for seven years, even though it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive from where I live in West Palm Beach Florida.

I was thinking that FLE and Haunted Mansion were enough cause for me to finally end the boycott, but the was before I read about the FLE and maintenance problems. Now I'm hearing that the maintenance problems may finally be over, beginning with Splash Mountain. It's interesting to compare my complaints back then to how things are now...

darthspielberg

Edit: ^^ whoops, didn't see this post. Glad you are back to liking WDW then :)

I am always astounded by how many people who call themselves fans of Walt Disney World actually hate Walt Disney World. Disneyland is a very nice park (I've never been due to being way to far away) but Disney World has loads of great things that Disneyland does not. Boycotting it seems downright silly. Go to Disneyland, sure, by all means, but WDW has great things too.

and I saw someone call the Haunted Mansion at WDW run down, and I am laughing my butt off. It looks AMAZING after it's 2007 Refurb.

PhotoDave219

I've decided. I'm boycotting WDW until they put money into the parks - enough so that the WDW parks are caught up with DL.

....(Snipped!).....

I have no desire to ever go back to WDW until management gives those parks the care and attention DL gets. I do plan on going to CA more often and will visit DL each time. To those who have been to WDW so many times and never DL, I seriously suggest that you visit DL. After you see what I am talking about, please join me in boycotting WDW!

I require you to buy me two business-class tickets as well as concierge level accommodations at the Grand Californian. As well as park admission, my AP doesnt get me into DL. A reservation at Club 33 would be epic and would need to be part of my touring plans.

Also, you will need to walk my dog and feed the cat while I'm away.

I'm assuming you're funding this endeavor, Spartacus?

juniorthomas

This is coming from a Floridian, who has traditionally visited WDW almost every year. Why am I boycotting WDW? Answer: I've seen what WDW is desperately missing. I've seen the details and the amount of care put into our West Coast sibling, and I am shocked that the WDC has not kept WDW as modern, up-to-date, and as-well up-kept as DL!

Why the sudden rebellion? Well, a couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to visit DL while on a trip to Southern California. I am still in awe as far as my impression of that park. Almost every ride: Space Mountain, Pirates, Its a Small World (always skipped the WDW version in recent years, but I actually enjoyed the DL version), Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Pooh... all far more superior than their WDW counterparts.

Not a litttle, but a lot. Space Mountain, for example, rides on new smooth tracks (that are invisible to its riders) and rocks with a killer sound track. Florida's old rickety Space Mountain needs to be rebuilt desperately. Buzz Lightyear and Pooh are not placeholder attractions to fill in space of former attractions that got gutted (namely Take Flight and Mr. Toad) as is the case in Florida, but these attractions at DL were built on new ride systems designed for those rides, not built over the ride systems of closed rides.

Haunted Mansion and Pirates may have a better outside and que area at WDW, but are completely better at DL! Haunted Mansion at DL has effects that just work better and seem to be more up-to-date. For instance, the singing ghosts faces are perfectly in sync to the vocal tracks of 'grimm grinning ghosts'. The dog being walked actually moves, compared to the WDW version that is not animated. Pirates is much longer and gets updated every few years, compared to WDW's version that finally got its first update since it opened in 1973!

Best of luck to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom