Florida commission: Disney discriminated against autistic visitors

Maerj

To avoid any more trouble, Disney needs to install People Mover cars that travel throughout each park. You load up at the entrance and the ride takes you through every attraction, plus lunch and dinner right in your vehicle, then fireworks and finally back to the exit at the end of the day. It can be sponsored by Depends ® since each guest will need them because there is no getting off the ride once your day begins. No more Fast passes, line cutting, reservations, or TROUBLE! Think about it, this would even take care of the dreaded Brazilian tour groups!

jakeman

3166475.gif

Leans Girl

Look all you able bodied people, I am sooo tired of the assumption that disabled people were milking the system. Having gone to Disney over 20 times and going with my entire family of 22 again this year let me set this straight. For only the older rides that did not have disabled access was there movement to the front of the line. Anyone using a bypass on some rides missed the beginning of the ride "The Haunted Mansion". For most of the rides and all the new ones disabled people enter just like anyone else. The exception is Toy Story Mania were disabled wait LONGER, due to the fact that only one track can accommodate them. I cannot stand or walk for any length of time over 5 minutes, not through any fault of my own, I am angry that a few priviledged people made it more difficult for those of us that use this. But since I don't do any thrill rides I am always ok and my family takes care of me. I hope when you get older and have problems you will be more understanding. The biggest problem is they are not allowed to ask for proof of disability is they could this would be a non starter.

Leans Girl

The commission determination found that the DAS program would not allow a disabled visitor “to enjoy the park as it was intended to be enjoyed by all other patrons.”
====
Well, it is my determination that allowing guests to skip the lines prevents me from being able "to enjoy the park as it was intended to be enjoyed by all other patrons" since it causes unnecessary delays in the ride queue.

I have nothing at all against persons with disabilities. However, we all know that there will be those that abuse the system that do not have disabilities. Disney took the necessary steps to accommodate people and that simply isn't good enough for them. Honestly, it is time for all of the politically correctness in this society to end so we can put an end to the sense of entitlement of anyone who is "different." This applies to race, gender, physical ability, etc. I am not saying we should be bullies or abusive to people, but just because you feel you are "different" doesn't make you special or give you special privileges or rights that are not able to be enjoyed by others.

I know this is going to draw the ire of some on here and could even get my post deleted but this is what I think. Maybe it is time for the straight, white, regular middle class Americans without disabilities to sue for the right to skip the line.

Leans Girl

The Haunted Mansion is barely worth riding anymore when the park is crowded. It gets stopped multiple times so that people in wheelchairs can get on and off. It wasn't built to accommodate that kind of thing. I agree, where will it end?
Just not true, I love that ride get on and off ride doesn't stop for me, the team members just make certain my scooter it available and help me to it.

Leans Girl

what do other parks do compared to Disney?
Went to Universal studios with my family and had to ask for my money back. Scooters not allowed anywhere, wheelchairs provided so flimsy that the foot rests turned inward, not waiting places and a ribbon in front of the disabled entrance to customer service. We travel as a family sometimes 20 or more strong, after the fiasco at Universal, we opted to never go there again. Disney does a pretty good job for people like me who are disabled.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Went to Universal studios with my family and had to ask for my money back. Scooters not allowed anywhere, wheelchairs provided so flimsy that the foot rests turned inward, not waiting places and a ribbon in front of the disabled entrance to customer service. We travel as a family sometimes 20 or more strong, after the fiasco at Universal, we opted to never go there again. Disney does a pretty good job for people like me who are disabled.

Maybe something has changed, but scooters are allowed in Uni just not on any of the rides.

Magenta Panther

Just not true, I love that ride get on and off ride doesn't stop for me, the team members just make certain my scooter it available and help me to it.

Well, the last time I rode HM, I walked off the ride - which had stopped 3 times - and asked one of the CMs, a lady dressed like a Mansion Maid, what the deal was. She told me that it had happened because of having to stop the ride for folks in wheelchairs. I wouldn't know from scooters. She said "wheelchairs".

TBrooker11

They do not get immediate access, they return to the Fastpass+ line so still could have to wait.

I am sure I have not been to Disney as many times as most people on here... however, when I have a FastPass I never wait more than 10 minutes unless something goes wrong with the ride. Toy Story/Soarin/Test Track/Seven Dwarfs etc I wait maybe 5-10 minutes for with FP. Everything is straight on. Of course that changes in the summer but I probably would not bring a disabled child or person to MK with 60k or whatever amount of people they get in the park during the summer days.

jaklgreen

Restless Leg Syndrome, correct me if I'm wrong, is primarily classified as a sleeping disorder and affects people when they are getting ready to rest, not when they are standing up or moving.

That is mostly true. I have had RLS since I was a child and it does bother me on occasion during the day.

arko

I am sure I have not been to Disney as many times as most people on here... however, when I have a FastPass I never wait more than 10 minutes unless something goes wrong with the ride. Toy Story/Soarin/Test Track/Seven Dwarfs etc I wait maybe 5-10 minutes for with FP. Everything is straight on. Of course that changes in the summer but I probably would not bring a disabled child or person to MK with 60k or whatever amount of people they get in the park during the summer days.

Tha is correct, but its not instant front of the line access either. the wait is shorter, but there is still a wait. this is why with the DAS its current waittime - 10 minutes, which is basically the time you spend in the FP line, so wait time is about the same.
The GAC was alternate entrance and on a lot of rides that meant using FP line. On rides with no FP line you had to wait for someone to bring you in through an alternate entrance, which could actually take more time than waiting in standby (POTC before FP+ could be a lengthy wait)

Killnme

The only people this ruling really helps are the lawyers. B/c now they will sue. Whomever loses in the first round will then appeal (more lawyer time). Then whomever loses in the 2nd round will appeal and so on. This won't be decided for years to come making the major winners the lawyers and the fees they will collect.

yensid67

Dozens of families with autistic children have sued, alleging that children with autism or other cognitive disabilities don’t have the patience required to wait for a certain ride – even if they are not waiting in line. Those lawsuits cite “meltdown behaviors” that sometimes force children and their parents to leave the parks.

I think SOME of these 'parents' feel their kids are entitled because they have special needs. If you have to wait for a particular ride, why not go and take another ride with a shorter/no line? or go have a snack? Why not explain to your son/daughter that they will be going on the ride, but to be fair to everyone else they have to wait until its their turn!? Just because you have 'something wrong' with your son/daughter, you should not assume its a free pass to get on any ride any time you want!
Maybe these parents need to teach their special needs children that they are NOT special and have to wait for their turn for things in life. I fault the parents that teach their kids that since they have special needs, they get special treatment wherever and whenever they go somewhere! Why are these parents suing Disney? Isn't it just like getting a fastpass? Maybe everyone should sue Disney for making us have to reserve fastpasses! for ride we want to get on...we can have a meltdown just as easily!

arko

I think SOME of these 'parents' feel their kids are entitled because they have special needs. If you have to wait for a particular ride, why not go and take another ride with a shorter/no line? or go have a snack? Why not explain to your son/daughter that they will be going on the ride, but to be fair to everyone else they have to wait until its their turn!? Just because you have 'something wrong' with your son/daughter, you should not assume its a free pass to get on any ride any time you want!
Maybe these parents need to teach their special needs children that they are NOT special and have to wait for their turn for things in life. I fault the parents that teach their kids that since they have special needs, they get special treatment wherever and whenever they go somewhere! Why are these parents suing Disney? Isn't it just like getting a fastpass? Maybe everyone should sue Disney for making us have to reserve fastpasses! for ride we want to get on...we can have a meltdown just as easily!

I am not going to bother responding, because its obvious you have no clue what you are talking about.

GrumpyFan

I think YOU fail to adequately understand the issues parents with autistic children face, and you're making some very inaccurate, and generic accusations against a lot of people that you don't know anything about. In short, you're being rude! Unless you've lived with or know someone who has to deal with these issues, you have no business making such statements or judging them.

GrumpyFan

I have a child with autism and other diagnosis, and use the DAS card, first of all i think Disney to be far more accommodating than any other place, the reason we go so often. The DAS does provide equal access for all, every body waits, for those that say there kid can't get card signed and return, adapt like you do everywhere else, i leave my daughter at a shop, attraction with a family member, take her card and get it signed (disney does not require card holder to reserve spot, just use it) and don't mention the attraction to her until the return time, there is plenty to distract a child at Disney. The only thing i would suggest changing was to tie the card to the magic band, fast pass system somehow, so we don't have to deal with the dirty looks and comments from other visitors when we pull out the card to get on an attraction, and i am sure Disney is probably already working on that.

Well done!
I think you speak to something that many of us who don't fully understand the "Autism" issues can comprehend. In many conversations I've seen here and other places, this very strategy was mentioned, and put to the other parents dealing with this, which made us wonder why wouldn't you do it this way? Just seemed like common sense.
Hopefully, Disney will be able to alleviate some of the single parent issues with this by integrating it with MagicBands/MyMagic+. I gotta believe that this functionality would be "on the board" for a future enhancement.

yensid67

In short, you're being rude! Unless you've lived with or know someone who has to deal with these issues, you have no business making such statements or judging them.

#1 I am not being rude, it is just my opinion that the parents have the responsibility to teach their children that they are not special or entitled because of their special need, they need to be told that they are as normal as the next kid anywhere. I think some parents use their child's special needs as a reason they feel they are entitled to special treatment.

#2 I have a good friend with a son that has Autism. I have watched him have meltdowns and have watched her teach him how to deal with the situation like a child that doesn't have special needs. I AM NOT JUDGING ANYONE!
I am just saying that children with Special Needs, whatever they are can be raised in a manner that they are socially accepting and I am just saying that PARENTS are the ones who feel their children are entitled because they have special needs. If this is the case with DAS, I am legally disabled, too, does that mean I can use one of these cards!?(even though I can wait in line or come back on a fastpass!?) The card IS for DISABLED guests.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Do you want to see a meltdown?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom