Florida commission: Disney discriminated against autistic visitors

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know this is off topic but . . . what difference does it make what kind of cars are parked in disabled spaces? Disability doesn't afflict only the poor. Most disabilities that require a hangtag don't require a car with adaptive equipment. I don't understand why any tv station would bother investigating.

Because when the allegedly handicapped person bounces out of the car and walks 18 holes of golf or gets into a Escalade or giant King Ranch F250, One wonders about the handicap (other than the PGA issued one), Up here abuse of handicapped plates is out of control as the well off use them as preferred parking passes. Very similar to the 'Hire a Gimp' scam at WDW.

Adaptive equipment is everything from special controls to scooter mounts/ramps in my view

BuzzKillington

Apparently like with Disabilities you can't actually ask to see proof that its a real service dog but the court could. She couldn't provide any and so everything got dropped and I took out a restraining order.

Your experience sounds similar to the situation where there was an altercation between two people over a handicapped parking place. It turns out the entitlement-minded parasite didn't even have a legal handicapped placard.

“This lady chest-butted!” Fight over handicapped spot at Walmart sends 71-year-old woman to the hospital

GREENFIELD (WITI) — A fight over a handicapped parking spot sent an elderly woman to the hospital! It happened at the Walmart store on W. Layton Avenue in Greenfield. The suspect is accused of using her chest to knock a 71-year-old woman to the ground in a fight over a handicapped parking spot.

According to a police report. 32-year-old Kezia Perkins was attempting to park in a handicapped spot at the Greenfield Walmart store. She couldn’t make the turn, and that’s when the 71-year-old woman pulled in. “They both had handicapped tags. The older lady took the spot,” Rawlings said.

This apparently angered Perkins. Surveillance photos show Perkins going up to the victim’s car and yelling through the passenger side window. After waiting a moment, the 71-year-old woman exited her vehicle, and Perkins approached her. “This lady chest-butted,” Rawlings said.

A nearby officer was flagged down. Perkins allegedly told police “it’s not my fault the elderly woman bounced off my big (chest).” When police ran her license, they found it is suspended and Perkins’ handicapped placard isn’t valid. That placard wasn’t even registered in Perkins’ name, police say.
http://fox6now.com/2015/03/03/this-...mart-sends-71-year-old-woman-to-the-hospital/

gljvd

Your experience sounds similar to the situation where there was an altercation between two people over a handicapped parking place. It turns out the entitlement-minded parasite didn't even have a legal handicapped placard.

“This lady chest-butted!” Fight over handicapped spot at Walmart sends 71-year-old woman to the hospital

GREENFIELD (WITI) — A fight over a handicapped parking spot sent an elderly woman to the hospital! It happened at the Walmart store on W. Layton Avenue in Greenfield. The suspect is accused of using her chest to knock a 71-year-old woman to the ground in a fight over a handicapped parking spot.

According to a police report. 32-year-old Kezia Perkins was attempting to park in a handicapped spot at the Greenfield Walmart store. She couldn’t make the turn, and that’s when the 71-year-old woman pulled in. “They both had handicapped tags. The older lady took the spot,” Rawlings said.

This apparently angered Perkins. Surveillance photos show Perkins going up to the victim’s car and yelling through the passenger side window. After waiting a moment, the 71-year-old woman exited her vehicle, and Perkins approached her. “This lady chest-butted,” Rawlings said.

A nearby officer was flagged down. Perkins allegedly told police “it’s not my fault the elderly woman bounced off my big (chest).” When police ran her license, they found it is suspended and Perkins’ handicapped placard isn’t valid. That placard wasn’t even registered in Perkins’ name, police say.
http://fox6now.com/2015/03/03/this-lady-chest-butted-fight-over-handicapped-spot-at-walmart-sends-71-year-old-woman-to-the-hospital/

Thats crazy.

But yea like i said , I don't see why your not able to ask for proof with disabilities or care dogs. It makes no sense.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Because when the allegedly handicapped person bounces out of the car and walks 18 holes of golf or gets into a Escalade or giant King Ranch F250, One wonders about the handicap (other than the PGA issued one), Up here abuse of handicapped plates is out of control as the well off use them as preferred parking passes. Very similar to the 'Hire a Gimp' scam at WDW.

Adaptive equipment is everything from special controls to scooter mounts/ramps in my view

Dude! Hire a gimp?!?! Not cool. Not cool at all.

Of course the behavior of the aforementioned tour guides were reprehensible in the first place

ILOVEDISNEY

What proof do you have? Why are you at the country club to observe such behavior? I question your veracity and motives. BTW, the use of the word gimp is very derogatory akin to . I have permanent disabilities (orthopedic and cardiac) and I do have a handicap placard and what brand and model of vehicle I drive should be no concern of yours unless you have an ulterior motive.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But it also makes that very thing illegal. Disney must address specific needs but they're not allowed to ASK about specific needs.

Incorrect- the model by definition is the person is supposed to tell you what LIMITATIONS they have, and you should work to accommodate them. For instance "I can not stand for long periods". What you can not do as a public accomodation is ASK about is the disability that CAUSES the limitation. The law is setup to ensure the protected individuals do not have to face discrimination by having to PROVE something or be scrutinized instead of just being included.

Customer MUST share their limitations so the entity can know what to accommodate. NOTHING says you should have a 'disabled program' that works for everyone and all needs. Even Disney's old system was catered more to specific needs... but they got lazy with it. It's easier for Disney to just say "use the FP line" then it is for them to provide specific accommodations for specific needs, such as providing a separate waiting area with seating, etc.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What proof do you have? Why are you at the country club to observe such behavior? I question your veracity and motives. BTW, the use of the word gimp is very derogatory akin to ******. I have permanent disabilities (orthopedic and cardiac) and I do have a handicap placard and what brand and model of vehicle I drive should be no concern of yours unless you have an ulterior motive.

You really believe that things like this don't happen?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Can anyone explain to me why there appears to be far more people under the age of 18 with autism than there are adults with the disorder?

I am not expert on this but my guess would because the way it is diagnosed over the past 20 years has changed a lot, and adults would be less likely for and adult to get a new diagnoses then a child.

BuzzKillington

BTW, with regard to handicapped parking abuse, more and more states are requiring that a handicapped license plate be issued instead of the removable handicapped placard. Makes sense because most handicaps are permanent in nature.

CaptainAmerica

Incorrect- the model by definition is the person is supposed to tell you what LIMITATIONS they have, and you should work to accommodate them. For instance "I can not stand for long periods". What you can not do as a public accomodation is ASK about is the disability that CAUSES the limitation. The law is setup to ensure the protected individuals do not have to face discrimination by having to PROVE something or be scrutinized instead of just being included.
That's exactly how we ended up with the abuse that led to this whole thing in the first place. Abuse makes the experience worse for ALL guests, including those with disabilities.

arko

Can anyone explain to me why there appears to be far more people under the age of 18 with autism than there are adults with the disorder?

Your going to start seeing those numbers change, but the short answer is they were always there just not diagnosed, or diagnosed as something else, especially the most severe who were often diagnosed as mentally retarded(as they used to call it) and put in an institution. Changes to the definitions and better diagnostic tools have made the numbers rise. But also because its a spectrum disorder the level of disability and symptoms vary greatly from person to person. Hence the reason why some kids need few if any accomodations while others need a lot more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's exactly how we ended up with the abuse that led to this whole thing in the first place. Abuse makes the experience worse for ALL guests, including those with disabilities.

Same could be said for 'innocent until proven guilty' - but you don't see people trying to throw that away because it's ripe for abuse.

I'm not saying the thing is perfect - but if you are going to challenge things, know what it really is.

Tom Morrow

Wow this whole thing is literally infuriating. Prepare to watch the lines get artificially inflated even more now that the door will once again be open for abuse of the almightly unlimited "golden ticket" disability pass.

I used to debate this intently on here, but I don't care anymore. Everything wins in favor of the liars, cheats, and scammers.

Last edited:

Gomer

g
Your going to start seeing those numbers change, but the short answer is they were always there just not diagnosed, or diagnosed as something else, especially the most severe who were often diagnosed as mentally retarded(as they used to call it) and put in an institution. Changes to the definitions and better diagnostic tools have made the numbers rise. But also because its a spectrum disorder the level of disability and symptoms vary greatly from person to person. Hence the reason why some kids need few if any accomodations while others need a lot more.

I'd also add to that the research showing possible environmental factors in severity of symptoms which would lead to the increased diagnosis as well.

There is research being done into many things such as vitamin d deficiency, intestinal bacteria depletion, high incidence of autism in areas with more air pollution (and more...) If those are proven true it would explain why many who may have gone undiagnosed in the past now present symptoms severe enough to be diagnosed.

freediverdude

I understand what the families are saying, that if they take the kid up to the front of the ride, and get a pass for a later time, an autistic kid may pitch a fit about not understanding having to come back later and wanting to ride right now instead of walking away. I do get that. However, I think that could easily be worked around, by scheduling the rides in advance at guest services if they know the child is like that. I think that's something that Disney could easily provide. Although when you think about it, it seems like the regular fastpass+ scheduling in advance would actually work better for the families in these situations than the special services.

I'm not in favor of bringing back the old system, because that will just get abused again. People aren't the same as they were 20 years ago and respectful of the handicapped system- nowadays people just pull anything they can to try to get a little perk like that, so we have to change to something better.

Gomer

I understand what the families are saying, that if they take the kid up to the front of the ride, and get a pass for a later time, an autistic kid may pitch a fit about not understanding having to come back later and wanting to ride right now instead of walking away. I do get that. However, I think that could easily be worked around, by scheduling the rides in advance at guest services if they know the child is like that. I think that's something that Disney could easily provide. Although when you think about it, it seems like the regular fastpass+ scheduling in advance would actually work better for the families in these situations than the special services.

I'm not in favor of bringing back the old system, because that will just get abused again. People aren't the same as they were 20 years ago and respectful of the handicapped system- nowadays people just pull anything they can to try to get a little perk like that, so we have to change to something better.
The easy fix for most here is to throw it into MDE and just make it unlimited FP+. It wouldn't fix everything but it would solve a ton of problems. Not sure why it hasn't been done yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom