FLE vs. Cars Land...

Thrill

Carsland for sure. I think Radiator Springs Racers alone comes close in cost to the entire Fantasyland expansion, and it's the most expensive attraction Disney has built, to my knowledge. I know money isn't everything, but Carsland is supposed to be an incredibly detailed land with a really solid attraction lineup. Not my premise of choice for a land, but it looks amazing. Don't get me wrong, I like the Fantasyland expansion, but I'd take Carsland in a heartbeat. As for popularity, Cars has a few years left. After that, Radiator Springs Racers will be a great attraction regardless of the movie, and depending on how things go with popularity, they can probably change the rest of the land to something else.

danstadnik

Original Poster
I'm not personally a HUGE Cars fan, but I do think the franchise has broken through in a way that does warrant this attention. Its been 5 years since the original movie and to this day, 75% of the boys in my daughters' elementary school have Lightning McQueen backpacks, jackets, etc. (As does one of my daughters...) And since most boys (and many girls) never outgrow their love affair with cars (lower case) they could easily continue their love affair with Cars (upper case!). In a way, Lightning McQueen is like another version of all the "Taz" stuff that I still see on mudflaps, tattoos, ballcaps, etc. A 40 year old guy in 2031 may drive a tuned up '06 Hyundai and have Lightning McQueen airbrushed on the hood...
I guess the scary thought is that THOSE are the folks who may be wandering through the attraction the most in 20 years... Maybe I'm glad its out on the West Coast!!!

TomHendricks

I'm not personally a HUGE Cars fan, but I do think the franchise has broken through in a way that does warrant this attention. Its been 5 years since the original movie and to this day, 75% of the boys in my daughters' elementary school have Lightning McQueen backpacks, jackets, etc. (As does one of my daughters...) And since most boys (and many girls) never outgrow their love affair with cars (lower case) they could easily continue their love affair with Cars (upper case!). In a way, Lightning McQueen is like another version of all the "Taz" stuff that I still see on mudflaps, tattoos, ballcaps, etc. A 40 year old guy in 2031 may drive a tuned up '06 Hyundai and have Lightning McQueen airbrushed on the hood...
I guess the scary thought is that THOSE are the folks who may be wandering through the attraction the most in 20 years... Maybe I'm glad its out on the West Coast!!!
Cars is without doubt the most PROFITABLE of the Pixar movies, by far. While other Pixar movies may hold the heart and head with many, Cars has legs like no other Disney movie. The demand for Cars related items has GROWN since Cars initial release as you said, five years ago. It has out merchandised all other Pixar movies, combined. So little wonder why there is a whole land dedicated to them and a sequel on its way.

ChrisM

I was under the impression that Luigi's Tires and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree were C-tickets at best.

Completely agree. They're just spinning rides. If a ride basically consists of spinning in a proscribed space, there's no way it rises above a C-level.

JoClovesCARS

Cars is without doubt the most PROFITABLE of the Pixar movies, by far. While other Pixar movies may hold the heart and head with many, Cars has legs like no other Disney movie. The demand for Cars related items has GROWN since Cars initial release as you said, five years ago. It has out merchandised all other Pixar movies, combined. So little wonder why there is a whole land dedicated to them and a sequel on its way.

You are correct in assuming the popularity of all things CARS. My friend went to WDW a few years ago and wanted to bring my grandson something from CARS and had a terrible time finding anything related at the parks. She was astounded as her and her husband are car buffs and as far as the movie is concerned she loves MATER. Well my grandson is 6 and if there is anything made that has McQueen or any of the heroes on it he has it. He sets up the race daily complete with trailers and pits and McQueen wins the Piston Cup in his races lol. I showed him the UTube videos for CARS LAND last night and he is ready to go today. We have been to WDW the past 2 years and this year we bought hoppers so he could go see McQueen anytime he wanted, and we did make the trip several times. He even went to say goodbye the day we were leaving. The story itself teaches kids such a valuable lesson and it isn't just about the CARS, he loves that Mater is McQueen's best friend and how he made DOC forget all the bad things that happened to him after his wreck. I think Disney missed the boat on this and is trying to right a wrong. I just hope they make some plans to expand this to WDW. As DVC members we can make the trip to DCA but most people on the East Coast probably won't.:sohappy:

Lee

Adventurer
Carsland for sure. I think Radiator Springs Racers alone comes close in cost to the entire Fantasyland expansion, and it's the most expensive attraction Disney has built, to my knowledge .
Most expensive ride anyone has built.
Hope it's worth it. I'd hate to spend the next few years discussing "Lasseter's Folly.":lol:

djkidkaz

How could RSR be the most expensive ride ever? Isn't it just using the ride tech from Test Track? Except you have two cars out instead of one and then you have a different theme for the land...I dont get it? Where is the high cost coming from?

I know Kilimanjaro Safaris is the largest attraction ever for Disney, which would also seem to be one of the most expensive once you add in the cost of populating it with live animals. I have to imagine a herd of elephants ain't cheap!

And who's idea was Mission: Space? I remember that being touted as the most expensive. Talk about a dud, I wonder if that guy was fired? LOL

ToTBellHop

How could RSR be the most expensive ride ever? Isn't it just using the ride tech from Test Track? Except you have two cars out instead of one and then you have a different theme for the land...I dont get it? Where is the high cost coming from?

I know Kilimanjaro Safaris is the largest attraction ever for Disney, which would also seem to be one of the most expensive once you add in the cost of populating it with live animals. I have to imagine a herd of elephants ain't cheap!

And who's idea was Mission: Space? I remember that being touted as the most expensive. Talk about a dud, I wonder if that guy was fired? LOL
I'm not sure I would call Mission: Space a dud. It still gets long lines and seems popular to me. Its lines may be shorter than Test Track's, but A) it has a higher height requirement and B) it has a much higher hourly capacity.

As for Radiator Springs Racers, can any ride be worth $350-400 million? I'm sure it'll be awesome, but how do you ever get a return on investment on that ride?

Lee

Adventurer
RSR has a longer (dual) track, twice as many vehicles, acres of custom rockwork, and a huge showbuilding filled with detailed sets and AA cars.
That's what $350mil gets you.

Tokyo's ToT is second highest. (Thanks to the added cost of building on reclaimed land.)
Everest third.
Mission:Space fourth.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

I can't say I'm an expert on anything DLR / DCA related, but I dont think it's the Test Track portions that are going to be considered as the costly parts. It will be the inside portions, with the tech they use to make the car characters talk and immerse you in the "story". Also, most likely all of the architecture / land-building for the area that the cars will race in outside will probably be associated with the ride as well.

Again, all this from watching the little 3 minute "Carsland" feature on the Mater's Tall Tales DVD, and a little guesswork, so take it for what it is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How could RSR be the most expensive ride ever? Isn't it just using the ride tech from Test Track?
Because Test Track as it stands is one expensive ride. Double the track, add more turns, add indoor dark ride sections, improve the technology with lessens learned from both Epcot and TDS, add a huge and incredibly themed show building with a massive backdrop, animatronics and animated show sets, 50% more track than TT, 41 new vehicles....

It all adds up.

JoClovesCARS

It will be worth every cent. The lines for TT are so long they cut off the FP several times a day. I am sorry they are not including it in WDW, but hope after the huge hit it will be in DCA they decide to add on at HS to bring it in from some fashion. I am also disappointed that there doesn't appear to be anything permanent mentioned for Pixie Hollow for Tink. The lines to see the fairies in Toontown were cut off as well several times while the princess line was in and out. We waited in that line 2x to see her and the fairies. I think the TT rebuild should have been done in phasis so the entire section was not shut down and reopened in phasis as it was complete. to wait for almost 2 years will put a damper on WDW, but the rebuild may help DCA.:sohappy:

TP2000

It's been reported that much of the 350 Million dollar cost of Radiator Springs Racers is to be found inside the massive show building behind the Caddilac Range mountains. That's where about 5 minutes of the ride will take place, as you travel through the dark ride portion where large sets and big Cars animatronic vehicles interact with you and put on their show, before the "race" begins and you line up with a second vehicle and speed through the outdoor race track section of the ride.

As impressive as these types of Cars Land construction pictures are...
1170517889_cKqH3-M.jpg
1170519524_4v3mL-M.jpg

It's the big dark ride going in to that show building warehouse you can't see behind the mountains that is taking up a big chunk of the $$$ there. :eek:

TP2000

I was under the impression that Luigi's Tires and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree were C-tickets at best.

The Tea Cups and Dumbo were both C Tickets at Disneyland from the 1950's through the early 1980's. But both Luigi's and Mater's are a step above that, due to their interactive elements, big animatronic Cars characters that sit inside the ride or boarding area, in addition to their themed queue buildings and indoor pre-shows (NextGen perhaps?).

The Flying Saucers at Disneyland were actually an E Ticket while they existed from 1961 to 1966!

1965%2BE%2Bticket.jpg

And the Flying Saucers had a simple switchback queue, no pre-show, no music, no animatronic flying saucer characters talking to you and interacting with you, etc. While I don't think you can apply the modern interpretation of what an E Ticket is to Luigi's Flying Tires, it's definitely not just a C Ticket among the likes of the simple Teacups.

I think D Ticket is a good, solid rating for these two outdoor rides with a lot of extra bells and whistles added in just for fun, at John Lasseter's design request.

cheezbat

From what i've heard, its a duel test track system...but upgraded. I think ALOT of the money is going in to the actual theming of the attraction. Don't you guys see just how massive the whole mountain range is on that thing? MASSIVE. It looks like it would take putting Grizzly River Run, Expedition Everest, and Big Thunder Mountain all together just to match the amount of mountain rockwork!

I'm sure the animatronics and tech inside the showbuilding are gonna be a pretty penny too...

misterID

Because Test Track as it stands is one expensive ride. Double the track, add more turns, add indoor dark ride sections, improve the technology with lessens learned from both Epcot and TDS, add a huge and incredibly themed show building with a massive backdrop, animatronics and animated show sets, 50% more track than TT, 41 new vehicles....

It all adds up.

Do you think if it's a runaway, massive hit (which I think it will) it'll inspire TDO to update TT? By that I mean the ride itself, theming, not so much the tech.

Yes, I'm a optimistic sucker sometimes.

sponono88

From what i've heard, its a duel test track system...but upgraded. I think ALOT of the money is going in to the actual theming of the attraction. Don't you guys see just how massive the whole mountain range is on that thing? MASSIVE. It looks like it would take putting Grizzly River Run, Expedition Everest, and Big Thunder Mountain all together just to match the amount of mountain rockwork!

I'm sure the animatronics and tech inside the showbuilding are gonna be a pretty penny too...

Looking at this model you can begin to see just how big the mountain range will be!

http://blogs.ocfamily.com/files/2010/10/cars-land-model-1.jpg

The mountain range itself will serve as the backdrop for the town of Radiator Springs

3908238243_dd5c715c00_z.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you think if it's a runaway, massive hit (which I think it will) it'll inspire TDO to update TT? By that I mean the ride itself, theming, not so much the tech.

Yes, I'm a optimistic sucker sometimes.
There were plans for minor CARS additions to TT a few years back (no retheme) but they fell by the wayside.

If (or when) RSR is a runaway success TDO might think about moving ahead with the DHS version they have planned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom