FLE vs. Cars Land...

TP2000

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I was shocked how much more it was - I'll have to dig deeper!

You can find amazing deals at Enterprise if you go to one of the neighborhood places away from Disneyland, especially the weekend rates. The Enterprise office on Tustin Avenue in Orange, a few miles east of Angels Stadium, will have prices at least half that of the Disneyland Enterprise locations on Katella or at the Anaheim Convention Center.

You've got to get away from the airport and Disneyland rental car offices and out in to the regular neighborhoods of SoCal to get the best rates.

JoClovesCARS

An argument could also be made that Disney Parks as a global whole have been more geared to girls than boys recently. Even at Disneyland, there's not a whole lot different from WDW aimed at boys in recent years, with the exception of Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy at Disneyland and that big new RideMakerz shop in Downtown Disney Anaheim. And Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy is surprisingly intense, and probably not appropriate for children under 10 or so.

[/B][/I] that opened in '07 with Pirate's Lair is a bit of a wash (no pun intended) since the submarine ride is cool, but the subject matter is kind of girly with the singing fish and stuff.

Except for those few new things in the last few years, it's been all girly-glitter, all the time at Disneyland just like it's been at WDW.

It continues this year with Little Mermaid opening next month, although you could argue that Star Tours 2.0 and elecTRONica and Goofy's Sky School have a more masculine edge to them. But they can't compare with the big budget animatronic spectacular like Mermaid when it comes to a marketing push.

Not until Cars Land opens will we finally see a big budget (widely rumored to be over 500 Million Dollars!) park expansion aimed squarely at the guys. It should be interesting to see what happens.

There's a famous old saying in Detroit's executive offices; You can sell a woman a man's car, but you can't sell a man a woman's car. The same could probably be said for theme park rides and developments. :lol:

TP i agree with you 100 Percent. It is unfortunate that they do not see the whole genre of children they are missing. My grandson is at the age where he wants nothing to do with the entire pricness concept. He does, however, love the Finding Nemo in Epcot and the whole Crush experience. He was even picked by Crush as the kid he wanted to talk to which was awesome for him. I just think Disney in general has made so much money pushing everything princess and fairy that they missed the boat. I can tell you this though. In 2009 when we went to WDW it was hard to find anything ARS related, well when we went back in 2011 you could find the CARS themed merchandise everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. Whe you go into the stores the CARS still fly off the shelf, and now they are showing trailers constantly for the new movie. I think it took them awhile but they realized (a bit too late as I said) that they missed a golden opportunity to really make a bundle on CARS. I just have a feeling that with the parade and everything in HS that it is going to eventually be renamed Pixar Studios. Disney was very smart to sign on John Lassiter because he is a genius, before someone else did.

TP2000

For those keeping score at home.... :lol:

The Blue Sky Cellar Preview Center at DCA has a new aerial picture displayed in one of the exhibits. It was taken about a month ago, and shows the scale of the Cars Land expansion at DCA compared to the rest of the park. Cars Land is the dusty corner in the bottom left quarter of this picture, with the little nub of dusty ground poking into the park itself as Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree ride.

It gives a good idea of just how much Cars Land will expand the park footprint of DCA.

i-xBtdm2K-X2.jpg

Thanks to Mintcrocodile for the nice image of this new aerial picture. http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/2011/05/blue-sky-cellar-mini-update.html

JoClovesCARS

Thanks for the update. I will tell you this, though. The anticipation by Pixar by the CARS 2 Movie is unbelievable. McQueen, Mater and Finn McMissle are being taken all over the country on tours and the lines to see them and have your picture taken with them is long. They were just in Silver Spring, MD for 2 days Mother's Day weekend and then on to DC for 2 more to add to the tour. Last night I was in Target with my grandson and they have signs everywhere for CARS 2 and there is 1 aisle dedicated to nothing but CARS merchandise. Disney/Pixar realized they missed the boat originally with CARS and have decided (finally) that kids love CARS. I understand that you and some other people do not think this is worthy of its own land but children dictate what their parents spend money on like it or not. I have been to WDW the past 2 years and will be going 3 more times in the next 18 months and we spend a fortune on merchandise related to both CARS and TINKERBELL while there. I spend very little money, while there, on any adult themed merchandise. The main reason we go to WDW is for these children and believe me I have adult friends who love the CARS characters as much as my grandson. The most important thing is seeing the world and everything they love through the eyes of children. This provides the most fun to me in my life, what makes my grandchildren happy and McQueen is just that for my greandson and TINKERBELL is for my granddaughter and I hope they always keep that childlike innoncense in their life.:animwink:

TP2000

How are we calling the other two rides in Carsland "D-tickets"? :shrug:

Mainly because of their complexity, themeing, and extra special effects and large-scale animatronics.

The Flying Saucers at Disneyland required an E Ticket during their entire existence from 1961 to 1966, but offered nothing more than an outdoor switchback queue and 90 seconds of bumping into other saucers on the flight deck.

65%2Bjune%2BE.jpg

Luigi's Flying Tires takes the Flying Saucers technology and plusses it up with a fully themed interactive NextGen queue, and then adds special effects, music and full-size Luigi and Guido animatronics that interact with the guests flying below them in the tires.

luigis.jpg

Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is similar in that it's an outdoor ride, but has themeing and animatronics more like an indoor dark ride. The LA Times quoted Imagineers as stating that Tow Mater's would be a sort of "outdoor dark ride" where riders went past various show scenes and a full-size animatronic Mater who calls out the square dance steps to the music while the ride is going.

maters-junkyard-jamboree-disney-california-adventure_56287937.jpg

If it bugs you to consider these big-budget attractions D Tickets because they are outdoors and involve spinning and/or circular ride vehicles, you could certainly call them C Tickets, to align them with the other popular spinners at Disneyland.

59%2BJune%2Bc.JPG

But the aesthetics and extras of both Luigi's and Tow Mater's seem to elevate them beyond the simple 90 seconds of twirling that the Teacups or Dumbo offer. Maybe we call them C+ Tickets instead? :lol:

SeaCastle

The Fantasyland dark rides were considered "C" attractions, same with Autopia or Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

The PeopleMover, Skyway, Columbia, Mark Twain, Disneyland Railroad, and Flight to the Moon attraction were all "D" 's.

While I believe you could make an argument that the new Carsland rides could be a "D-ticket", in my opinion it's not a particularly strong argument. You can theme the heck out of a spinner, but what does that make it besides being a well-themed spinner? Likewise, with the Seven Dwarves coaster being planned for WDW's Fantasyland, it may be a "kiddie coaster" with nice theming, but does that make it anything else? I'll reserve full judgement until those attractions are open.

http://www.yesterland.com/abcde.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom