Flash Photography

Missing20K

I'll jump on the bandwagon here.....I too, though not extensively, witnessed flash photogs on POTC, Buzz, HM and yes it was annoying, but I've found just asking politely people will oblige. For instance, during the previews for SSE in January, the guy behind my girlfriend and I was doing video during the queue and loading area, and I thought to myself, "must be another blogger or WDWmagic user" and didn't think much of it. That is until he continued to video with a supremely bright light during the ascent. Typical of myself and gf, at first, we muttered to ourselves how annoying it was, then said it just a little louder, hoping he would hear. To no avail, we then just turned around and politely said, "That light is pretty bothersome, do you mind turning it off?" And sure enough he did. So in the future, I plan on just asking the offender to knock it off, and if it then continues, I will do my best to make sure every picture or video they take with a flash or light is a great shot of my hand, head, butt, or whatever else I can get in the shot:D

DisneyMemories

I agree like many of the other fellow photographers said about turning off the flash,but if they turn up their ISO which is another term for film speed from 100/200 and increase it to 800 or is possible 1600 then they can reduce the need for flash, but they gain a high likelyhood of having high noise in their photos but it's a chance to take if they really need photos in dark attractions.

I totally agree with a photo park cd of interior/exterior photos of attractions for guests to buy,my Dad bought them when his did not turn out so well. Photograhys great as long as you know what your doing wish everyone would learn even the basics and not ruin it with washout flash useage. I use my Nikon DSLRS for alot of photography,but for the parks I bring my basic Point and shoots of size and weight consideration, and since i'm no pro but do know alot about photograhy I can get some good shots from my Kodak and Olympus point and shoot cameras.

I feel Disney should have a segment on resort TV or a pamplet/guide when you buy tickets at the gate or resorts about the subjuct explaining what attractions that do not allow flash photography and at the same time also show with basic settings how they to can get good results from just about any camera. Well just my ideas,keep up the happy memories. :wave:

minnie2000

this is not a long-shot for me. those flashes of light can set off a migraine for me. and my migraines do not last a few minutes, but can last 12 hours or more. so flash photography inside a dark ride, so ruin my entire day.

i also take pics and don't mind pics being taken, just do not use flash.

I'm the same way. I have to close my eyes when going thru the tunnel on Space Mountain. It's enough to send me over the edge. I always carry my migraine and pain meds where ever I go.

Me too. If one bright flash goes off in my face, or lots of little ones that look like strobe lighting, I can get a migraine. I'm then stuck in bed for the next 2 days. I find the worst place in WDW is the Buzz Lightyear ride, near the end when you go through a room with strobe lighting.

My whole family know if they ever take a photo, and I am in it - please turn the flash off!

I know how to turn off the flash on my camera, but how do you get a good picture in low light with no flash? I don't know much about photography, I just point and shoot! (no flash of course!)

cooleo

With a digital camera, you need to be able to have control over your ISO (set it as high as possible) and / or be able to slow down your shutter speed to allow more light in. The other way if you don't have a camera with these capabilities is to turn the setting to Night Portrait. It would be the setting that shows a Person with a moon behind them. You still may need to turn the flash off with this setting. :cool:

RiversideBunny

Part of the problem is that a lot of people honestly don't know how to turn the flash off on their cameras. It just stays on Automatic.
They know how push the button that takes a picture.

:rolleyes:

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I have both pics of flash and pics with non flash. All my flash pics are from the MNSSHP LATE at night when we were the only ones on the ride. We litterally were allowed to sit on the boats passed the unloading areas through the tunnels and onto the loading areas. We rode around 8 times straight without a single person on the boat so I said what the hell. This was also the case on the Haunted Mansion. We didnt have to get out of our doom buggies. It was awesome.

With those exeptions I would have never thought to have my camera flashing ruining things that someone else may not have seen yet.

DizneyPryncess

I don't mind a flash photo going off once or twice during a ride - it's Disney World, and it's going to happen. A lot of people don't read the signs or hear the warnings about flash photography, others don't realize their flash isn't off, but on average I don't think many people do it deviously to ignore the rules.

I've never been on a ride with someone who takes pics in every scene, so I can totally imagine that being really irritating. In that case, I can understand saying something. But otherwise, I try not to get caught up in it, because then it'll ruin the ride for me even more. :)

MAGICFLOP

I try not to get upset. There are a lot of people that don't understand English, or well enough to get what the recorded message says.

I've traveled to China several times and I speak Chinese a little, but I did things wrong without knowing. People there were always kind to me, realized that I propably didnt understand. I could see myself flashing away there and not knowing there was huge signs in Chinese and a taped message.

Also, we (in here) all make numerous trips to WDW and it is not really spoiling it for us. We've seen a hundred times and will again.

Disney wants and knows people come from all over the world and does little to accomidate(language wise).

scpergj

I agree like many of the other fellow photographers said about turning off the flash,but if they turn up their ISO which is another term for film speed from 100/200 and increase it to 800 or is possible 1600 then they can reduce the need for flash, but they gain a high likelyhood of having high noise in their photos but it's a chance to take if they really need photos in dark attractions.

I totally agree with a photo park cd of interior/exterior photos of attractions for guests to buy,my Dad bought them when his did not turn out so well. Photograhys great as long as you know what your doing wish everyone would learn even the basics and not ruin it with washout flash useage. I use my Nikon DSLRS for alot of photography,but for the parks I bring my basic Point and shoots of size and weight consideration, and since i'm no pro but do know alot about photograhy I can get some good shots from my Kodak and Olympus point and shoot cameras.

Increasing the ISO can indeed increase the possibility of noise, however, moving most to 800 really isn't overly noisy, it's when you get to 1200 or 1600 -- even 3200 -- where you really introduce noise. I also shoot with a Nikon DSLR (D80), but bring mine to the parks, too. I have learned (a long time ago), that the better quality lenses with a better light gathering capabilities (one of my favorites is a 50mm 1.4) will go a long way towards better pictures in the dark. I'm still learning how my camera handles the dark, and don't have anything to post, but I hope to after Memorial Day.

DisneyMemories

Increasing the ISO can indeed increase the possibility of noise, however, moving most to 800 really isn't overly noisy, it's when you get to 1200 or 1600 -- even 3200 -- where you really introduce noise. I also shoot with a Nikon DSLR (D80), but bring mine to the parks, too. I have learned (a long time ago), that the better quality lenses with a better light gathering capabilities (one of my favorites is a 50mm 1.4) will go a long way towards better pictures in the dark. I'm still learning how my camera handles the dark, and don't have anything to post, but I hope to after Memorial Day.

I just recently got a D80, I'm still learning what it can do, I'm to chicken to risk taking it and lenses into the parks, that's why I carry a 12x point and shoot. I'm no pro, just a guy who enjoys photograhy learning as I go.:)

Brian_B

I try not to get upset. There are a lot of people that don't understand English, or well enough to get what the recorded message says.

I've traveled to China several times and I speak Chinese a little, but I did things wrong without knowing. People there were always kind to me, realized that I propably didnt understand. I could see myself flashing away there and not knowing there was huge signs in Chinese and a taped message.

Also, we (in here) all make numerous trips to WDW and it is not really spoiling it for us. We've seen a hundred times and will again.

Disney wants and knows people come from all over the world and does little to accomidate(language wise).

Little to accommodate, aside from having park maps in every single major language with plain written language specifying what you can and can't do, and staffing cast members that speak those languages. I personally got very used to saying "No foto con flash, por favor" as a tour guide on the movie ride, when things got out of hand (and believe me, it's VERY annoying on GMR, and a major safety hazard for us)

The problem is that people have gotten so accustomed to technology and the instant gratification of the digital age that it's as though EVERYTHING has to be recorded. Nothing is truly experienced anymore. People don't care about what they're seeing; they just want to take it, digitize it, and arrange it with all the other pictures they've collected. Looking at many many folders full of digital pics gives a false sense of accomplishment. Sure, you've taken pictures of MILLIONS of things. What have you honestly SEEN?

Next time you go to Disney, seriously, try leaving your camera and cell phone at home. You're on vacation. Try to actually experience it, and "take" the kind of "pictures" that'll never be deleted - great memories. I can honestly say that the at the most well-remembered, vivid times in my life, there were no cameras. If something isn't good enough to warrant remembering on it's own, then what point is there in recording it?

- Brian

fngoofy

Original Poster
I think the main problem is that the flash warnings are covert at best.

How many people can tell me where it is in PotC?

Let's see how many have even noticed it.

As I said earlier, try lighting up a smoke in PotC and see how many people have a hissy fit (guests & CMs.) I would much rather have the whole boat go through a carton of Pall Malls (and I'm a non-smoker) than have one twit with a flipping strobe light attached to his wrist.

Disney simply needs to be more aggressive with the warnings. Play them on the trams, monorails, IN THE QUEUE ESPECIALLY.

Like there isn't enough time in the PotC queue or in Peter Pan while you go though that death march of a queue.

I know the masses are thick, but if Disney can get them to go from smoking in line to stoning someone for walking around with one, by gosh they can work on the flash issue.

I spend lots of cash to get down there, and having these great rides ruined as they do little to address the situation is really unacceptable.

MAGICFLOP

Little to accommodate, aside from having park maps in every single major language with plain written language specifying what you can and can't do, and staffing cast members that speak those languages. I personally got very used to saying "No foto con flash, por favor" as a tour guide on the movie ride, when things got out of hand (and believe me, it's VERY annoying on GMR, and a major safety hazard for us)

Next time you go to Disney, seriously, try leaving your camera and cell phone at home. You're on vacation. Try to actually experience it, and "take" the kind of "pictures" that'll never be deleted - great memories. I can honestly say that the at the most well-remembered, vivid times in my life, there were no cameras. If something isn't good enough to warrant remembering on it's own, then what point is there in recording it?

- Brian

I missed the Map and signs in Chinese. I would consider that a major language. Granted that there are not that many Chinese that go to WDW.

I have not noticed the signs in German and Japanese and hear a lot people walking around speaking other languages too. You make it sound like it is just Spanish. I am a person that loves to watch people and tries to figure out where they are from. The most interesting and White people. Just when ya think there from the midwest, ya here hear them speaking polish.

I will try to remember your advice on the Cell phone and Camera. I don't own a Cell phone, but as for the camera, I rarely bring it...:drevil:

talfonso

UUUUUGGGHHH! It's sooooo annoying! One hooligan was taking flash photos of the crystal ball in the Haunted Mansion when I was attending last Tuesday's MNSSHP! Didn't the spiel specifically remind guests, no flash photography?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
UUUUUGGGHHH! It's sooooo annoying! One hooligan was taking flash photos of the crystal ball in the Haunted Mansion when I was attending last Tuesday's MNSSHP! Didn't the spiel specifically remind guests, no flash photography?

Instead of being annoyed, try feeling sorry for the poor uneducated fool making an idiot of himself taking pictures in a dark ride. They will NEVER come out as they imagine they will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom