Flash Photography

RiversideBunny

IMHO, a lot of the problem is that many people do not know how to turn off the flash on their digital camera.
They just leave it set on automatic.

:)

RiversideBunny

takes forever to figure out how to do stuff like this... With a flash they look like Junk..

260832825_ZVEhx-M.jpg

255293414_e4Zb5-M.jpg

With what type of lens/camera were you able to take these pictures without flash? Maybe an f1.8 lens on a digital SLR?
Tks.
:king:

PigletIsMyCat

Flash photography at WDW is easily my biggest pet peeve in the parks. I am lucky enough to ride these rides whenever I want - but some people save up for a long time to come to WDW, and this might be the ONLY TIME EVER that they get to ride POTC.

I am in the school of politely shouting 'No flash pictures!' when on POTC/HM/SSE/Finding Nemo (these are the rides I see it most on). My husband hates it - it embarrasses him, but it INFURIATES me! Flashes can also light up non-show areas of the scene - do you really think we're meant to see the ceiling of POTC? No. We're not.

In one week, we spent two days at MK and rode POTC both visits. The first day we were there, while loading into the boats (it might have been right after the load, where you stop next to that ship scene on the right?), there was a recorded voice reminding people about not using flash or video lighting. We enjoyed the ride without ONE FLASH. It was very nice.

A couple of days later, we were back at POTC and there was no recorded reminder. Flashes were going off constantly - literally there were four on our boat alone.

I know not everyone listens to these recorded messages, but in my experiences, any ride that announces 'no flash photography, no video lighting' has a very, very low instance of photo lighting compared to rides with no announcement.

Plus, I laugh my butt off when you see people using a flash to take pictures of light: the Earth projection in SSE, fireworks, the LCD screens during Finding Nemo. Or when they're shooting through glass, like at the aquariums. Not going to help, people. Not going to help at all.

sittle

Once... I almost got into an altercation on PotC with some lunk who insisted he needed to keep taking flash pictures as it was likely their only trip to Disney World... he also smacked his wife in front of his children on the ride... I informed him that his camera might be joining Davey Jones locker...

I am guilty, I have taken flash photos (and non flashed) on rides with my digital camera, but only when there is no one else present on the ride... in front of us and after us... We like to take advantage of MPPP and EMH and usually get lots of good pictures while the rides are virtually empty, great time for pictures.... I would never take a flash picture on a busy ride with other patrons enjoying...

fngoofy

Original Poster
I've talked to CMs a few times on this. The PotC CM said that it was more of a safety issue (flashes blinding the IR security cameras, than a guest issue (same response at tiki room as well I'm afraid.)

The Peter Pan CM said that it was not against the rules to take flash pics n that attraction.

I wish people would make more of a stink about this.

Imagine if people just lit up a smoke in the attraction, do you think that would be blown off by the CMs like the flash photo stuff is?

I don't think so.

CThaddeus

What ever happened to good ol memories?
the flashes from their cameras must be imparing the ability to mentally remeber something :brick:

But, takin' pictures IS makin' memories...sorry, I couldn't resist.
But I'm completely in agreement with everyone who hates flash in rides. I've been spending a good deal of my free time lately trying to find a decent digital camera that not only has a high level of megapixels and a good optical zoom, but one that also can take decent low light photos.
That being said, I do use flash as some others do in attractions where I won't ruin it for everyone else (ie. Fantasyland dark rides). The photos I get don't look exactly right, but since the low light ability of the camera I currently have stinks, it's better than nothing.

I think it would make a lot of sense for them to use the loudspeakers on the rides when they see people using flash photography. I've noticed on Splash and other boat rides that when someone is rocking the boat or trying to stand up that they see them on the video monitor and then go over the speakers and ask them to stop, it would be just as easy to do the same when they notice flash photography.

TheDisneyMagic

I think it would make a lot of sense for them to use the loudspeakers on the rides when they see people using flash photography. I've noticed on Splash and other boat rides that when someone is rocking the boat or trying to stand up that they see them on the video monitor and then go over the speakers and ask them to stop, it would be just as easy to do the same when they notice flash photography.

I have seen this happen quite frequently within Carousel of Progress, when people have attempted to take photos or video footage, a cast member has interupted the show and come on the loud speaker. Personally I don't agree with this method as it interferes with the show even more than the person taking the video or photo in the first place. I think any ride that should not have flash pictures should ensure that a spiel is played just before the show/attraction begins, if guests continue to take the pictures then after the show/attraction has finished a cast member have a quiet word about it being unfair on others.

Philo

I've never used flash photography on a ride and I always try to hide the light from any screen on my camera.

The fact is that people want to have pictures to remember the rides by - I can't argue with that however ask most people if they want a picture of POTC looking very fake and cheap due to their flash lighting an environment that was never meant to be lit or if they would rather have a picture of the ride as it was meant to be seen we know which would be chosen.

Most people don't know how to use cameras. Often they won't know how to turn the flash off but more importantly, they don't know why they should. If I'm stood in WS and I want a picture of SSE then using a flash is pointless, a flash just isn't effective to that range however, you get the effect that it it works because the shutter time is reduced so their is no handshake blur you get so often with night photography but at the same time there isn't much atmosphere.

I would think that a few signs in queues or on the park maps saying "for the best pictures, turn your flash off. Using flash photography will result poor picture". To help more why not suggest that you go and see a photopass guy if you need help turning your flash off - it's very similar on most cameras.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've never used flash photography on a ride and I always try to hide the light from any screen on my camera.

The fact is that people want to have pictures to remember the rides by - I can't argue with that however ask most people if they want a picture of POTC looking very fake and cheap due to their flash lighting an environment that was never meant to be lit or if they would rather have a picture of the ride as it was meant to be seen we know which would be chosen.

Most people don't know how to use cameras. Often they won't know how to turn the flash off but more importantly, they don't know why they should. If I'm stood in WS and I want a picture of SSE then using a flash is pointless, a flash just isn't effective to that range however, you get the effect that it it works because the shutter time is reduced so their is no handshake blur you get so often with night photography but at the same time there isn't much atmosphere.

I would think that a few signs in queues or on the park maps saying "for the best pictures, turn your flash off. Using flash photography will result poor picture". To help more why not suggest that you go and see a photopass guy if you need help turning your flash off - it's very similar on most cameras.
Excellent idea!

eagles

Absolutely not a flash picture. I have no problem with pictures. I do have a problem with flashes going off every two seconds. That is very rude to the other guests trying to enjoy their trip. Plus, what some people won't consider is that all of those flashes can irritate people with certain conditions. I'd hate to be the idiot who thinks they are above the rules that causes some poor person on vacation to have a seizure. This may be a long-shot / worst-case event, but it could happen.

this is not a long-shot for me. those flashes of light can set off a migraine for me. and my migraines do not last a few minutes, but can last 12 hours or more. so flash photography inside a dark ride, so ruin my entire day.

i also take pics and don't mind pics being taken, just do not use flash.

JDM

Understand some folks frustration.

But the bottom line is this: If the sign (or a recording) says "no Flash Photography' (such as in Haunted Mansion), then it certainly should be off limits.

But, if there is no sign and no announcement (as in Peter Pan--I think) , then it's allowed.

Same with Video. Monsters Laugh Floor says no, so I didn't. But Turtle Talk said nothing, so I taped.

That being said, people who do NOT follow the first rule are either rude or technically challenged.

cooleo

Get your camera ready for a Flash pic. Then tap the offender on the shoulder & take their pic up close right as they turn around. :) That is sure to make them stop. But then again, it might cause a fight. :shrug:

I have seen this happen quite frequently within Carousel of Progress, when people have attempted to take photos or video footage, a cast member has interupted the show and come on the loud speaker. Personally I don't agree with this method as it interferes with the show even more than the person taking the video or photo in the first place. I think any ride that should not have flash pictures should ensure that a spiel is played just before the show/attraction begins, if guests continue to take the pictures then after the show/attraction has finished a cast member have a quiet word about it being unfair on others.

But if they wait until the ride is over to tell them not to do it, it's a bit late for all those people whose experiance was ruined by the flashing.

Mybails

I have used my flash but only when the ride is at a stand still. this has happened to us at the last scene of Splash, in the town area of POTC and at the last Captain Jack area on POTC.

During the rides I keep my camera in my bag so we have to be stopped for a bit before I can get the camera out even.

sarabi

I find sometimes if I am sitting behind a person and they are taking flash photos on a dark ride, if I mutter something to my companion about "Oh no, their flash went off... THAT photo won't turn out!" as if it was an accident their flash went off and any sane person would know that you have to have the flash off to make the photos turn out, that sometimes works.
People don't like feeling stupid.

sarabi

Understand some folks frustration.

But the bottom line is this: If the sign (or a recording) says "no Flash Photography' (such as in Haunted Mansion), then it certainly should be off limits.

But, if there is no sign and no announcement (as in Peter Pan--I think) , then it's allowed.

Just because something is allowed doesn't mean it's polite.

Raven66

this is not a long-shot for me. those flashes of light can set off a migraine for me. and my migraines do not last a few minutes, but can last 12 hours or more. so flash photography inside a dark ride, so ruin my entire day.

i also take pics and don't mind pics being taken, just do not use flash.

I'm the same way. I have to close my eyes when going thru the tunnel on Space Mountain. It's enough to send me over the edge. I always carry my migraine and pain meds where ever I go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom