Flamingo Crossing Retail Center

JohnD

It looks like it will be quite similar to the St John's Town Center, but without the more high end retailers it has. Probably more River City Marketplace on the northside of Jacksonville.

That's the one on Duval Rd. across from the airport, right? I'm a native of Jax but haven't been there yet. I have no reason to head up that way unless I'm going to the airport or driving to Amelia Island as I'm doing this weekend.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's the one on Duval Rd. across from the airport, right? I'm a native of Jax but haven't been there yet. I have no reason to head up that way unless I'm going to the airport or driving to Amelia Island as I'm doing this weekend.
Correct. I am in Arlington, which puts me right about halfway between the Town Center and the Marketplace, but since the in-laws are north of Jacksonville in Callahan and because the traffic at the Towncenter is nothing short of nightmarish, the marketplace tends to be where we end up more often.

JohnD

Correct. I am in Arlington, which puts me right about halfway between the Town Center and the Marketplace, but since the in-laws are north of Jacksonville in Callahan and because the traffic at the Towncenter is nothing short of nightmarish, the marketplace tends to be where we end up more often.

Ah, thanks. My folks live in Ortega Forest. (I'm a native of Jax.) I now live full time in Tallahassee but visit them often.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

You must have fun going home, being a Nole in Gainesville North....;)

Been to Jax a couple of times back in the day. Now just take the I-10 bypass over the St. John's if I'm heading to I-95. Niece now lives in Jax, attending North Florida.

Gatorboy

If it's not really part of "Disney World", and not anything particularly special, then it seems like a huge waste. Orlando is already ridiculously oversaturated with shopping centers. As mentioned, less than a mile south of this you have endless restaurants, hotels, timeshare resorts, and shopping - including Super Target and soon to be yet another Wal-Mart right near it. North a couple of miles and you have the massive and upscale Winter Garden Village with another Wal-Mart just south of that. And this is just accounting for the western edge of WDW property.

I still think this is going to go nowhere for quite some time. Though admittedly I am shocked to see those Flamingo Crossings hotels fairly full at night.
Why the shock? Cheap rooms on the doorstep of Disney. Throw in that they are Marriott Resorts with their reservation system and you a have a winner. I believe now that the added acreage combined with the original concept make for a good business plan. Extra land for the college interns, cheaper area to shop, eat, & drink has not only guest in resorts, but interns to support businesses. This becomes Disney's value resort area, leaving the current value resorts to move higher up the chain.Bus system would be welcome for both cast members & guests.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Why the shock? Cheap rooms on the doorstep of Disney. Throw in that they are Marriott Resorts with their reservation system and you a have a winner. I believe now that the added acreage combined with the original concept make for a good business plan. Extra land for the college interns, cheaper area to shop, eat, & drink has not only guest in resorts, but interns to support businesses. This becomes Disney's value resort area, leaving the current value resorts to move higher up the chain.Bus system would be welcome for both cast members & guests.

Totally agree. I thought, this is a great business plan - house the college kids much closer and better (hopefully) accommodations - and those in Hotel & Restaurant can get practical experience in something other than Disney, accommodations for guests that are a step above Motel 6 (and not at Disney prices) with types of rooms more guests want, shopping and dining options that fill the hole Disney has. Like I said previously, I'd take a Minnie van to visit if they have Panera, Chipotle, Chick-fil-A or Jimmy John's. And a Publix. And you can see the Western Way Gate from your hotel. Sounds like a win-win to me.

The deciding factor would be to put the area on Disney Transportation and make these, as you suggested, the Value resort area. Then redo All Stars to an entry level moderate. I honestly think that with the room renovations being done at Pop, those rooms will be more moderate than value. And quite frankly, Disney needs more moderate rooms, now that an entire section of CBR is becoming DVC. I've aways thought of CSR as the convention hotel and not one I'd want to stay in as a regular guest. And wouldn't it be nice to get ALLLLLL those tour groups off the main property.....

BigThunderMatt

Awesome. This is exactly what the area needs, ANOTHER shopping center. Winter Garden Village isn't far and the Walmart on New Independence is nearby but heck, build more.

Clearly you've never had to deal with explaining to tourists how to get around the convoluted mess that is the Orlando metropolitan area. If it's not within a block, or even better, line of sight, there is a 900% chance they WILL get lost. Directing Disney guests to Winter Garden Village or pretty much anything outside of the intersection of 535/192/I-4 is an exercise in futility and you might as well be giving them directions to the lost city of Atlantis.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Clearly you've never had to deal with explaining to tourists how to get around the convoluted mess that is the Orlando metropolitan area. If it's not within a block, or even better, line of sight, there is a 900% chance they WILL get lost. Directing Disney guests to Winter Garden Village or pretty much anything outside of the intersection of 535/192/I-4 is an exercise in futility and you might as well be giving them directions to the lost city of Atlantis.

Which is why I found that Publix at Lakeside back behind MK - easy to get to and none of the traffic that is the horror called I-4. I hope that, if building housing for the college program attendees, a grocery store will be included.

Walt may have chosen that location because of access (MCO, 3 interstates), but yes, it's not fun to get around. When I'm down there, it's WDW or Uni or traveling between the two. Have ended up smack dab in downtown too many times.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So true.

I had a guy in a parking lot with a smart phone in his hand asking me how to get somewhere a couple of weeks ago.

"You do know that supercomputer in your hand can tell you much better than I ever could?"

I could only imagine how he would have dealt with my instructions on how to get to a location on the other side of town.

BigThunderMatt

Which is why I found that Publix at Lakeside back behind MK - easy to get to and none of the traffic that is the horror called I-4. I hope that, if building housing for the college program attendees, a grocery store will be included.

I know for some of the CP housing there is a Publix a block away. I think they also provide a bus to Wal-Mart on 535.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I know for some of the CP housing there is a Publix a block away. I think they also provide a bus to Wal-Mart on 535.

Isn't that apartment complex at the intersection of Reems and Center housing for the program? The sign at the complex entrance sure makes it seem so.

BigThunderMatt

So true.

I had a guy in a parking lot with a smart phone in his hand asking me how to get somewhere a couple of weeks ago.

"You do know that supercomputer in your hand can tell you much better than I ever could?"

I could only imagine how he would have dealt with my instructions on how to get to a location on the other side of town.

To their credit, ON property I've found GPS to be pretty much useless. Conversely, there's also a myriad of road signs to get you pretty much anywhere on property. To not be able to reach your destination with even those fail-safes in place means you're probably a special kind of stupid.

BigThunderMatt

Isn't that apartment complex at the intersection of Reems and Center housing for the program? The sign at the complex entrance sure makes it seem so.

No that's income-restricted housing. But it's pretty much entirely Magic Kingdom/WDW Cast Members. CP housing is in the 535/Little Lake Bryan area.

LAKid53

Premium Member
No that's income-restricted housing. But it's pretty much entirely Magic Kingdom/WDW Cast Members. CP housing is in the 535/Little Lake Bryan area.

Oh, okay. But I knew it was probably CM housing of some type, if not owned by Disney.

Not sure were current CP housing is in relationship to the parks, but it would appear moving their housing to Flamingo Crossing would put them closer to their jobs. And adding Disney Transport would be that cherry on top. I'd love to spend 20 minutes or so on a bus talking to one of the kids. The ones I've interacted with at the resorts or in the parks are such a pleasure to talk to.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
To their credit, ON property I've found GPS to be pretty much useless. Conversely, there's also a myriad of road signs to get you pretty much anywhere on property. To not be able to reach your destination with even those fail-safes in place means you're probably a special kind of stupid.
This was up in Jacksonville, but I know what you mean. Back in the day when we just had a GPS we downloaded a WDW POI and it made things super easy. Without the POI our Tom Tom was near useless in WDW.

Google maps is pretty good around WDW. We use it just to see our ETA and have yet to run into an issue.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This was up in Jacksonville, but I know what you mean. Back in the day when we just had a GPS we downloaded a WDW POI and it made things super easy. Without the POI our Tom Tom was near useless in WDW.

Google maps is pretty good around WDW. We use it just to see our ETA and have yet to run into an issue.

I like the notification of traffic delays and the detour route. There's always at least one accident on I-75...

LAKid53

Premium Member
Same with I-4, of course the rerouting options there tend to consist of "Deal with it" or "Go back where you came from".;)

Don't we now regret Jeb getting voters to kill the Bullet train? Wouldn't it have been nice to have that option? I hate driving I-4. I can't imagine living down there and using it for my daily commute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom