Flamingo Crossing Retail Center

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Will this have a Walmart or are they good with just having the one at Main Street USA?

"We spoke with Walmart officials and they said did not want to be associated with any Disney-branded "value"..." :hilarious:

There is a Walmart only 5-8 minutes away from the Epcot & Studios & Disney Springs areas, near the corner of 535 and W Osceola Parkway. We shop there, and also at the Target off of 417 and Orange Blossom Trail, frequently when we stay on-property. So much more economical when compared with Disney prices, even with the cost of a rental car.

I wonder just what businesses will go in this "value" area. And if Disney gets a cut of their sales or if it just plays the role of landlord.

tissandtully

Awesome. This is exactly what the area needs, ANOTHER shopping center. Winter Garden Village isn't far and the Walmart on New Independence is nearby but heck, build more.
There is also a Super Target off 417 on Irlo Bronson Hwy right near it, and a bunch of restaurants. I'm not saying it's not a bad idea, I'm just gonna miss that area being really quiet and empty except for the two hotels.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All personal opinion - too little, too late, no existing infrastructure. Meanwhile? The "classic" "not on property" areas have developed the cheap hotels, cheap dining, cheap shopping. Already there.

Flamingo Springs is fighting a headwind. Bet that's why it "stalled" for such a long time.
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Disney-Trains

Just a guess... But I think Disney Springs is a combination of ideas originally meant for Downtown Disney redevelopment and Flamingo Crossings. About the same time they announced the flamingo crossings areas they also announced Hyperion Wharf for Downtown Disney

lazyboy97o

Just a guess... But I think Disney Springs is a combination of ideas originally meant for Downtown Disney redevelopment and Flamingo Crossings. About the same time they announced the flamingo crossings areas they also announced Hyperion Wharf for Downtown Disney
Disney Springs has nothing borrowed from Flamingo Crossings. It was always just strip mall type development, a Crossroads Redux.

Tom Morrow

If it's not really part of "Disney World", and not anything particularly special, then it seems like a huge waste. Orlando is already ridiculously oversaturated with shopping centers. As mentioned, less than a mile south of this you have endless restaurants, hotels, timeshare resorts, and shopping - including Super Target and soon to be yet another Wal-Mart right near it. North a couple of miles and you have the massive and upscale Winter Garden Village with another Wal-Mart just south of that. And this is just accounting for the western edge of WDW property.

I still think this is going to go nowhere for quite some time. Though admittedly I am shocked to see those Flamingo Crossings hotels fairly full at night.

Driver

Keep in mind Crossroads on 535 was originally a Disney-built and run shopping enterprise for exactly this kind of thing. It was later sold.
Exactly what I was thinking and the hotels are right there on Buena Vista Blvd. this concept is that same idea all over again but on the other end of property.

raven

As previously mentioned that's been that way for some time now. I go home that way when I-4 is backed up
I know. Just saying it looks like it once had promise but was forgotten (much like Pop Legendary Years). Glad they will be attempting to build it up finally. But there's also a brand new Walmart just up the road a bit from there.

Driver

I know. Just saying it looks like it once had promise but was forgotten (much like Pop Legendary Years). Glad they will be attempting to build it up finally. But there's also a brand new Walmart just up the road a bit from there.
Right until I learned the backstory it seemed odd to me that there was infrastructure and nothing happening. And yet I still wonder about how well it will do. Is there really a need? Seems like a crap shoot, but at the same time Disney usually does there homework.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom