Flamingo Crossing Retail Center

tissandtully

If it's not really part of "Disney World", and not anything particularly special, then it seems like a huge waste. Orlando is already ridiculously oversaturated with shopping centers. As mentioned, less than a mile south of this you have endless restaurants, hotels, timeshare resorts, and shopping - including Super Target and soon to be yet another Wal-Mart right near it. North a couple of miles and you have the massive and upscale Winter Garden Village with another Wal-Mart just south of that. And this is just accounting for the western edge of WDW property.

I still think this is going to go nowhere for quite some time. Though admittedly I am shocked to see those Flamingo Crossings hotels fairly full at night.
They are great hotels.

I'm just REALLY wondering if they'll have a storyline for it! I mean they JUST redid Downtown Disney and went REALLY outta their way to give it a storyline by changing it to Disney Springs. It'd be weird if they made another no storyline shopping center which they'll have to redo in ten years or so so it too can have a story......

Grotto123

I think this is more for the fact the crossroads is going away. Like maybe disney is saying hey we are kicking you out here but we have this property over here. Also to they have a new Walmart that is opening up by sherberh road and 192.

lazyboy97o

I'm just REALLY wondering if they'll have a storyline for it! I mean they JUST redid Downtown Disney and went REALLY outta their way to give it a storyline by changing it to Disney Springs. It'd be weird if they made another no storyline shopping center which they'll have to redo in ten years or so so it too can have a story......
There won’t be a storyline. This isn’t part of Walt Disney World. It’s just a retail development to collect rent.

I think this is more for the fact the crossroads is going away. Like maybe disney is saying hey we are kicking you out here but we have this property over here. Also to they have a new Walmart that is opening up by sherberh road and 192.
Disney sold Crossroads some time ago. This isn’t related to the new interchange.

wishiwere@wdw

There goes our favorite secret Disney hotel! Free breakfast with Mickey Waffles for $70 a night, can't beat that!
Haha I was about to post the exact same thing. I'm in the area every other week right now on business and these are my go-to hotels for price and convenience and are just overall a great value. Oh well. Was great while it lasted!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
All personal opinion - too little, too late, no existing infrastructure. Meanwhile? The "classic" "not on property" areas have developed the cheap hotels, cheap dining, cheap shopping. Already there.

Flamingo Springs is fighting a headwind. Bet that's why it "stalled" for such a long time.
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.
It stalled because construction was due to start right about the same time the economy crashed. Disney finished the infrastructure at a snail's paced and mothballed the project until the economy improved.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Wonder if Disney will make this accessible via Disney Transportation... I know it's not very "Disney" to say this, but sometimes, while staying on property, I think how nice it might be to have Chipotle or Panera without having to get an Uber and go off property...

Add a Chick-fil-A and I'm with you.

LAKid53

Premium Member
There goes our favorite secret Disney hotel! Free breakfast with Mickey Waffles for $70 a night, can't beat that!

So you've stayed there? Do they have shuttles to the parks? I've often wondered what the hotels are like. They look nice from the outside.

LAKid53

Premium Member
"We spoke with Walmart officials and they said did not want to be associated with any Disney-branded "value"..." :hilarious:

There is a Walmart only 5-8 minutes away from the Epcot & Studios & Disney Springs areas, near the corner of 535 and W Osceola Parkway. We shop there, and also at the Target off of 417 and Orange Blossom Trail, frequently when we stay on-property. So much more economical when compared with Disney prices, even with the cost of a rental car.

I wonder just what businesses will go in this "value" area. And if Disney gets a cut of their sales or if it just plays the role of landlord.

Since Disney's going to include housing for the college program kids, would it make sense to add a grocery store? I'd love to be able to stop at a Publix once I get off 429, rather than wind my way over to the one at Lakeside.

And if they include spots like Panera, I wouldn't think twice about using a Minnie van to get there.

JohnD

"We spoke with Walmart officials and they said did not want to be associated with any Disney-branded "value"..." :hilarious:

There is a Walmart only 5-8 minutes away from the Epcot & Studios & Disney Springs areas, near the corner of 535 and W Osceola Parkway. We shop there, and also at the Target off of 417 and Orange Blossom Trail, frequently when we stay on-property. So much more economical when compared with Disney prices, even with the cost of a rental car.

I wonder just what businesses will go in this "value" area. And if Disney gets a cut of their sales or if it just plays the role of landlord.

I wonder if it's going to be an outdoor mall concept. Two Florida examples I can think of are Jacksonville's St. John's Towne Centre and Destin Commons.

JohnD

The storyline is that they are a private developer who can't wait to develop right outside Disney property and collect money from unsuspecting tourists. The twist is that the property is actually owned by Disney.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wonder if it's going to be an outdoor mall concept. Two Florida examples I can think of are Jacksonville's St. John's Towne Centre and Destin Commons.

So where is Destin Commons in relation to Silver Sands?

I'd like to see what goes there similar, but probably not as upscale, ad the new Town Centre at DS. Well layed out and not strip mallish.

Slightly off topic...are you ready for Saturday? We'll be at Uni with plenty of gummy bears.

JohnD

So where is Destin Commons in relation to Silver Sands?

I'd like to see what goes there similar, but probably not as upscale, ad the new Town Centre at DS. Well layed out and not strip mallish.

Slightly off topic...are you ready for Saturday? We'll be at Uni with plenty of gummy bears.

Destin Commons location (zoomed out): https://goo.gl/maps/4d3XwAuJF2S2

Definitely ready for Saturday. I'll be at Amelia Island with family for Labor Day weekend. You can be sure we'll be watching the game. Roll Tribe!

Raineman

If Disney is going to do something like this, it would be a good spot for it. They would be pulling in alot of people who are driving to WDW from north of Orlando on the turnpike and take the 429 to avoid I-4 traffic-the site is only a quarter mile away from the WDW western gate.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It looks like it will be quite similar to the St John's Town Center, but without the more high end retailers it has. Probably more River City Marketplace on the northside of Jacksonville.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom