FL Governor tells CDC to get its act together

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yay! So the cruise operators cannot ask for proof of vaccination nor can they require that their passengers nor their crew are adequately vaccinated. Big win?
No.

This has NEVER been the case. The law directly states that they can not require proof of vaccination to sail. There is nowhere in the law that states they can't ask for it. If a passenger can't or will not provide proof of vaccination then the cruise line is free to screen these passengers and have them adhere to whatever COVID protocols they set.

The short version is you can sail without proof, but you will probably be getting tested before and after you board and will most likely be required to wear a mask when out of your room. It is conceivable to think that areas where masking is not possible or is problematic (pool, spa, gym, etc.) might be off-limits or will operate with restricted hours.

381.00316 COVID-19 vaccine documentation.—
(1) A business entity, as defined in s. 768.38 to include any business operating in this state, may not require patrons or customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19 vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business operations in this state. This subsection does not otherwise restrict businesses from instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.
(2) A governmental entity as defined in s. 768.38 may not require persons to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19
vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the governmental entity’s operations in this state. This subsection does not otherwise restrict governmental entities from instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.
(3) An educational institution as defined in s. 768.38 may not require students or residents to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19 vaccination or post-infection recovery for attendance or enrollment, or to gain access to, entry upon, or service from such educational institution in this state. This subsection does not otherwise restrict educational institutions from instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.
(4) The department may impose a fine not to exceed $5,000 per violation.
(5) This section does not apply to a health care provider as defined in s. 768.38; a service provider licensed or certified under s. 393.17, part III of chapter 401, or part IV of chapter 468; or a provider with an active health care clinic exemption under s. 400.9935.
(6) The department may adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536 and 120.54 to implement this section.

Bob Harlem

The first restarted W. Hemisphere Royal Caribbean cruise from Nassau on Adventure of the Seas (with paying passengers) went on without any problems, you can scan youtube by the ship name for the 25 or so various vloggers that were on it -- it seemed fairly normal except for checkin/departure and the 1/3 capacity (Which that alone is probably worth it to attempt, it's like Disney/Universal were after reopening last year for a short time, virtual ghost towns where you could do everything without waits). (Including a few Disney ones) The second sailing is underway right now. They left from Nassau to avoid CDC regulations, similar to how the Celebrity Millennium left from St. Maarten. Nassau is just much quicker to get to via a flight from Florida.

"Freedom of the Seas" is actively doing the first "Test Cruise" of any line right now also.

aliceismad

This is a bit old, but Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and MSC all gave out some guidelines for vaccinated vs. unvaccinated passengers last week. I've not seen anything from Disney, but this is what I've seen from other lines thus far.

Celebrity: People (16 an over) who won't/cannot share proof of vaccination will need to pay for their own PCR covid test within 72 hours of departure and must be masked at all times and sit in designated seating areas in public areas of the ship. They may also require unvaccinated passengers to purchase ship-run tours. The ship will have antigen testing at embarkation, debarkation, and mid-way through the cruise.

MSC (sailing from the U.S. this fall): Unvaccinated quests are required to purchase MSC travel insurance and cannot go ashore unless they are in a ship-sponsored tour. They will be subject to mandatory testing throughout the voyage. (No word on quantity or whether it's PCR or antigen testing that I've seen.)

Royal Caribbean (Freedom of the Seas only for now): All guests will wear masks in indoor common areas. Vaccinated passengers can use special bars, restaurants and lounges without masks. Unvaccinated guests must have a PCR test prior to sailing AND two sets of PCR testing at the ship - once at embarkation and once at debarkation (all of these at their own expense). Per cruise critic "A Royal Caribbean spokesperson tells Cruise Critic those who present proof of vaccination will be given wristbands to wear onboard, while unvaccinated passengers will have a hole punched in their SeaPass card."

Carvinal (sailing from Texas, not Florida): No masks or distancing will take place, but all guests will be vaccinated with the exception of a small number of children.

Princess (will sail from U.S. this fall): Sailing only open to vaccinated cruisers.

Last edited:

Archie123

This is a bit old, but Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and MSC all gave out some guidelines for vaccinated vs. unvaccinated passengers last week. I've not seen anything from Disney, but this is what I've seen from other lines thus far.

Celebrity: People (16 an over) who won't/cannot share proof of vaccination will need to pay for their own PCR covid test within 72 hours of departure and must be masked at all times and sit in designated seating areas in public areas of the ship. They may also require unvaccinated passengers to purchase ship-run tours. The ship will have antigen testing at embarkation, debarkation, and mid-way through the cruise.

MSC (sailing from the U.S. this fall): Unvaccinated quests are required to purchase MSC travel insurance and cannot go ashore unless they are in a ship-sponsored tour. They will be subject to mandatory testing throughout the voyage. (No word on quantity or whether it's PCR or antigen testing that I've seen.)

Royal Caribbean (Freedom of the Seas only for now): All guests will wear masks in indoor common areas. Vaccinated passengers can use special bars, restaurants and lounges without masks. Unvaccinated guests must have a PCR test prior to sailing AND two sets of PCR testing at the ship - once at embarkation and once at debarkation (all of these at their own expense). Per cruise critic "A Royal Caribbean spokesperson tells Cruise Critic those who present proof of vaccination will be given wristbands to wear onboard, while unvaccinated passengers will have a hole punched in their SeaPass card."

Carvinal (sailing from Texas, not Florida): No masks or distancing will take place, but all guests will be vaccinated with the exception of a small number of children.

Princess (will sail from U.S. this fall): Sailing only open to vaccinated cruisers.

Here is the updated policy from Royal Caribbean. Why even bother going on a cruise with RC if you are not vaccinated?

lostpro9het

Here is the updated policy from Royal Caribbean. Why even bother going on a cruise with RC if you are not vaccinated?

Im pretty sure that's the point. Requiring the vaccines is the easiest way for them to reduce their liability if someone gets sick or another outbreak takes hold.(I know, I know, they'd still get sued) Protocols are mostly smoke and mirrors and since they have the onus of developing them they also would take the brunt of the liability, IMO, even if the CDC approves them. Again, plenty more options out there that don't involve sitting on a floating petri dish. That said, cant wait for my October cruise! I hope it goes down.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

That is kind of the point. If the local government wants to take away the most effective tool the cruise lines have for keeping an outbreak at an absolute minimum, then they are going to make the protocols for cruising unvaccinated so restrictive and unpleasant that people will not want to do it.

Archie123

That is kind of the point. If the local government wants to take away the most effective tool the cruise lines have for keeping an outbreak at an absolute minimum, then they are going to make the protocols for cruising unvaccinated so restrictive and unpleasant that people will not want to do it.

Oh I agree. Just because the Federal judge ruled against the CDC does not mean that the cruise lines themselves won't still make vaccinations mandatory or make it "unpleasant" with some strict rules for passengers that sail without being vaccinated.

Last edited:

aliceismad

"Outside of Florida, Royal Caribbean is requiring all COVID-vaccine eligible passengers to show proof of vaccination."

As a vaccinated guest, I'd rather just choose to sail out of somewhere other that Florida so I don't have to deal with the potential complications. 7-day cruises from Galveston and Los Angeles are supposed to start in October. I wonder if there's any chance they'll move Allure to Galveston early if there's more demand to sail from Texas vs. Florida. (Allure is supposed to start sailing out of Galveston in 2023.)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
"Outside of Florida, Royal Caribbean is requiring all COVID-vaccine eligible passengers to show proof of vaccination."

As a vaccinated guest, I'd rather just choose to sail out of somewhere other that Florida so I don't have to deal with the potential complications. 7-day cruises from Galveston and Los Angeles are supposed to start in October. I wonder if there's any chance they'll move Allure to Galveston early if there's more demand to sail from Texas vs. Florida. (Allure is supposed to start sailing out of Galveston in 2023.)
Texas has an anti-vaccine passport law similar to Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom