FL Governor tells CDC to get its act together

nickys

Premium Member
You have a short memory. When COVID19 infections were detected on vessels they were not immediately returned to port and disembarked but rather denied disembarkation and passengers + crew quarantined on the vessel. I guess all those news reports and documented stories are being rapidly forgotten.
No I do remember.
But I thought the new CDC guidelines / protocols etc had specific rules around it. Hence the reason Cruise lines need to arrange for medical facilities at their departure port.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
You have a short memory. When COVID19 infections were detected on vessels they were not immediately returned to port and disembarked but rather denied disembarkation and passengers + crew quarantined on the vessel. I guess all those news reports and documented stories are being rapidly forgotten.
Calm Down Chill Out GIF

aliceismad

I haven't seen anything on the cruise sites about testing prior to debarkation, but I've seen disclaimers about shore excursions and the safety issues there. (This is RC's: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/shore-excursions-health)

From Disney's site: "If a threshold of COVID-19 is detected on board the cruise ship during a voyage, the voyage will be ended immediately and the ship will return to the U.S. port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed."

GimpYancIent

I haven't seen anything on the cruise sites about testing prior to debarkation, but I've seen disclaimers about shore excursions and the safety issues there. (This is RC's: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/shore-excursions-health)

From Disney's site: "If a threshold of COVID-19 is detected on board the cruise ship during a voyage, the voyage will be ended immediately and the ship will return to the U.S. port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed."
You mean the infected person will not be made to walk the plank to prevent infection spread?

Communicora

Premium Member
If everyone is clean upon boarding there should be no passing on. If per chance there is a mistake made and a clean yet soiled one gets on board, guess what, the floating petri dish ( I mean cruise ship) is quarantined soiled or unsoiled. Hence, once the vessel leaves the dock its either good to go or not further testing = unnecessary irritation.
It doesn't always show up immediately. For example, the guidance here was to be tested five days after exposure.

Surfin' Tuna

I did not know there was a test for norovirus. A rapid test for norovirus would be a welcome addition to cruising and to the industry. I have known plenty who refuse to cruise because of fear of getting it.

aliceismad

Please, Please, Please have the testing for Covid Virus and Noro Virus. Cruising and Cruisers will thank you.
My understanding is that the only real test for norovirus involves a stool sample. 6,000 guests on one of the big ships. That's a lot of poo. ;) Especially for something that only causes 900 deaths and 100,000 hospitalizations per year. The problem with norovirus is that it is very contagious and symptoms often don't appear until 24-48 hours after you get it, so it's sometimes impossible to tell where it came from.

Tony the Tigger

More news:

Two passengers aboard the Celebrity Millennium cruise have tested positive for COVID-19, cruise officials confirmed Thursday.

The two guests, who are sharing a stateroom, are asymptomatic and currently isolating.

"We are conducting contact tracing, expediting testing for all close contacts and closely monitoring the situation," a Celebrity Cruises spokesperson said in a statement.

They also confirmed that this cruise has paying customers and is not a test cruise.

The cruise sailed from Aruba earlier this week and will end its excursion in St. Maarten.

The Celebrity Millennium is sailing with fully vaccinated crew members and passengers, the subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Group said. Passengers are required to show proof of vaccination as well as a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours before sailing.

G00fyDad

More news:

Two passengers aboard the Celebrity Millennium cruise have tested positive for COVID-19, cruise officials confirmed Thursday.

The two guests, who are sharing a stateroom, are asymptomatic and currently isolating.

"We are conducting contact tracing, expediting testing for all close contacts and closely monitoring the situation," a Celebrity Cruises spokesperson said in a statement.

They also confirmed that this cruise has paying customers and is not a test cruise.

The cruise sailed from Aruba earlier this week and will end its excursion in St. Maarten.

The Celebrity Millennium is sailing with fully vaccinated crew members and passengers, the subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Group said. Passengers are required to show proof of vaccination as well as a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours before sailing.

All the major news outlets were talking about this yesterday. (Well, all except for one. That one was talking about puppies and kittens or something.) Yes, I understand that it is just two cases but I wonder if this is making anyone in Florida government rethink the new law?

Tony the Tigger

All the major news outlets were talking about this yesterday. (Well, all except for one. That one was talking about puppies and kittens or something.) Yes, I understand that it is just two cases but I wonder if this is making anyone in Florida government rethink the new law?
Imagine if it wasn't a fully vaxed cruise? That number would certainly be higher than two.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You can be vaccinated and re-infected. Vaccines aren't a shield that keep the viruses out of your airways. Vaccines train your immune system to fight the infection immediately before it does any real damage.

Bob Harlem

That article has blatant errors in it (It didn't sail from Aruba, it originated from St. Maarten), but it looks like the process worked and it's not going to stop the rest of the cruise. Considering it didn't seem to spread and they remained healthy I'd call it a decent outcome.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You can be vaccinated and re-infected. Vaccines aren't a shield that keep the viruses out of your airways. Vaccines train your immune system to fight the infection immediately before it does any real damage.
I am well aware. No vaccine is 100%, everyone is different, etc, etc. What raises a red flag for me is it was 2 people in the same room. This made me start thinking that they either got vaccinated a few days before the cruise or they were not vaccinated.

MaryJaneP

Is it a possible false positive test or a breakthru infection? The tests seem to be as less than 100% effective as the vaccines are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom