FL Governor tells CDC to get its act together

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The cruise will go on despite the political noise. The test cruises are a waste of time anyway

Looks like the procedures worked on that particular ship, and it seems they are headed to Florida to get the crew vaccinated (since I guess Europe is really behind in the Vaccine compared to the US), the test cruise just seems like a waste of time (especially if the Ship is that high of a percentage vaccinated), it's not like there aren't already cruises going on out in Singapore and a few other spots already.

I don't care what Singapore or other countries are doing with regards to allowing cruise ships to sail in their waters. It's cruise lines complying with the Conditional Sail Order to begin cruising from US ports that matter, in this instance. And to insure that, you conduct a simulated cruise. Cruise lines have been submitting data to the CDC, which has enacted a color coded scheme to evaluate how that ship is complying. I'd like to be confident that ship I get on in September has met those requirements to sail.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I expect the new law to be challenged. The issue will be jurisdiction... where does the state's end at a port and where does the feds begin? And THAT'S what a cruise line will care about. Not to mention the requirements for those foreign destinations, like the Bahamas.
I doubt it will go past a state law can not supersede federal law.

Bob Harlem

I don't care what Singapore or other countries are doing with regards to allowing cruise ships to sail in their waters. It's cruise lines complying with the Conditional Sail Order to begin cruising from US ports that matter, in this instance. And to insure that, you conduct a simulated cruise. Cruise lines have been submitting data to the CDC, which has enacted a color coded scheme to evaluate how that ship is complying. I'd like to be confident that ship I get on in September has met those requirements to sail.

With how quickly things have been changing with real world data, I'm not sure the CDC's old guidelines are worth much.

The June cruise is bookable now, https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-search?dates=2021-06&ship=EG

Last edited:

G00fyDad

This is the exact text from the bill. The word "passport" is not used.

381.00316 COVID-19 vaccine documentation.—
(1) A business entity, as defined in s. 768.38 to include any business operating in this state, may not require patrons or customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19 vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business operations in this state. This subsection does not otherwise restrict businesses from instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.
(2) A governmental entity as defined in s. 768.38 may not require persons to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19
vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the governmental entity’s operations in this state. This subsection does not otherwise restrict governmental entities from instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.
(3) An educational institution as defined in s. 768.38 may not require students or residents to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19 vaccination or post-infection recovery for attendance or enrollment, or to gain access to, entry upon, or service from such educational institution in this state. This subsection does not otherwise restrict educational institutions from instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.
(4) The department may impose a fine not to exceed $5,000 per violation.
(5) This section does not apply to a health care provider as defined in s. 768.38; a service provider licensed or certified under s. 393.17, part III of chapter 401, or part IV of chapter 468; or a provider with an active health care clinic exemption under s. 400.9935.
(6) The department may adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536 and 120.54 to implement this section.

Then I stand corrected about the vaccine card even though it is not a passport. However, it is about documentation. Disney can still ask.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With how quickly things have been changing with real world data, I'm not sure the CDC's old guidelines are worth much.

The June cruise is bookable now, https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-search?dates=2021-06&ship=EG
I was waiting for that to see what their COVID protocols were:
For U.S. cruises and guests: Prior to booking, please consult all applicable U.S. Centers for Disease Control travel advisories, warnings, or recommendations relating to cruise travel, available at http://www.cdc.gov/travel/notices. If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard your cruise ship during your voyage, your voyage will be ended immediately and the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed.
For cruises and guests worldwide: Health and safety protocols, guest conduct rules, as well as regional travel restrictions and clearance to visit ports of call, are subject to change without notice based on ongoing evaluation, public health standards, and government requirements. Onboard and destination experiences, features, itineraries and guest conduct rules vary by ship and destination and are subject to change without notice.
Elsewhere on their site:

Announcing Our Return to Sailing

We’ve been hard at work developing new health and safety protocols to keep you Healthy at Sea.
We’ve partnered with medical and scientific advisors from our Healthy Sail Panel, our Global Head of Public Health and Chief Medical Officer; and local health and government authorities to guide us in the development of our protocols. These measures include reduced capacities and enhanced cleaning and sanitization.
All guests ages 16 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all Covid-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. As of August 1, 2021, all US Guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated. For UK residents, all guests 18 and over must be fully vaccinated with all Covid-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Crew members onboard will be vaccinated.
As we return to sailing, your health and safety remains our top priority.
You can find the latest CDC travel advisory on cruising here.

Vaccines

All guests ages 16 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all Covid-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. As of August 1, 2021, all US Guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated. For UK residents, all guests 18 and over must be fully vaccinated with all Covid-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Crew members onboard will be vaccinated.

Testing & Screening

Safe vacations start with prevention. Prior to boarding, all guests are required to complete a health questionnaire and guests ages 2 –15 will be required to take a complimentary antigen test at the terminal. In some homeport countries, testing may be required for all guests regardless of vaccination status. An additional test will be administered onboard, free of charge, if required for home country re-entry.

What health screening measures are being taken at the terminal on boarding day?
At the terminal, we'll continue screening measures to ensure everyone boarding the cruise, or working at the terminal, is in good health. All guest documents, including proof of full vaccination administered two weeks prior to sailing, and a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result must be presented. Prior to embarkation, check https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety and government sites for specifics as the requirements vary by port. Additionally, all guests, crew, visitors and port personnel will be required to complete a Health Questionnaire and have their temperatures taken in the terminal by trained staff using touchless, handheld thermometers. Guests and crew members with temperatures of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or greater will undergo a secondary screening. The secondary screening is conducted by a third-party medical professional and determines if a person is eligible to sail.
Do I need a COVID-19 vaccine to cruise? What documents count as proof of vaccination? How far in advance do I need to get my vaccine?
At this time, we are requiring guests 18 years and older to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Each guest must submit proof of full vaccination no later than boarding day, in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by either (1) the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card) or (2) the guest's medical provider that administered the vaccination. Electronic vaccination records will only be accepted for residents of those countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form (e.g., a unique QR code). The vaccination record submitted to Celebrity Cruises must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered (e.g., received the second dose in a two-dose series), and that the guest has received the final dose at least 14 days before sailing.

Last edited:

spock8113

If cruise lines want proof of vaccination, that is their prerogative as a private business.
Norwegian Cruise Lines is not acquiescing and good for them because a cruise ship is a floating petri dish. As it is, sailing isn't starting back up until after the dry runs required by the CDC. Like masks, vaccines and cruises, do it or not at your own risk.
September is the time frame so things should be much better by then.

https://www.ibtimes.com/norwegian-c...ming,for what it claims are risky COVID rules.

spock8113

If cruise lines want proof of vaccination, that is their prerogative as a private business.
Norwegian Cruise Lines is not acquiescing and good for them because a cruise ship is a floating petri dish. As it is, sailing isn't starting back up until after the dry runs required by the CDC. Like masks, vaccines and cruises, do it or not at your own risk.
September is the time frame so things should be much better by then.

If they do the 'test sail' (like Royal Caribbean is doing) they don't need to have a vaccinated-only cruise.
So in all sincerity I am scratching my head on the test cruise. It seems like many are saying once they do the test cruise they can begin regular cruising. The word “test” means it can pass/fail. What if it fails and fails again? What is the benchmark for passing? Zero covid transmission? 5% 10%? Is there a return to port threshold?

Would it be possible for the vaccination route to be faster path to get the ball rolling?

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
So in all sincerity I am scratching my head on the test cruise. It seems like many are saying once they do the test cruise they can begin regular cruising. The word “test” means it can pass/fail. What if it fails and fails again? What is the benchmark for passing? Zero covid transmission? 5% 10%? Is there a return to port threshold?

Would it be possible for the vaccination route to be faster path to get the ball rolling?
It is a top secret algorithm and your security clearance isn't high enough to be briefed in. :hilarious:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

My assumption: The test sail takes place. The cruise line writes up a report about what they did to meet CDC guidelines for a mixed vaccinated and non-vaccinated complement of guests and crews, and what happened. CDC reads the reports and unless it became a 'sick ship,' says, 'go ahead.'

Or, a cruise line chooses to be vaccinated-only and checks for vaccinations and then either tussles with Florida or goes elsewhere.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Who pays for any of it, Florida taxpayers or is there another deep pocket?

The lawsuit against the CDC? As it's the state suing, we the Florida taxpayers will pay the state's costs.

And @monothingie, I wouldn't be so quick to assume the state will prevail. The judge, in ordering both parties into mandatory mediation, didn't indicate he thought the state had a more compelling argument.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
One thing about Celebrities return to cruising and the vaccine mandate. Keep in mind that Celebrity is a much older crowd and you really don't see children on their ships. It's going to be easier for them to attain 95% vaccinated. I'm happy that it's opening back up.

Pam

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
One thing about Celebrities return to cruising and the vaccine mandate. Keep in mind that Celebrity is a much older crowd and you really don't see children on their ships. It's going to be easier for them to attain 95% vaccinated. I'm happy that it's opening back up.

Pam
Celebrity's web site says they'll be asking for proof of vaccination. Do you think that they'll go through with that in FL despite the governor's and legislature's ban on vaccination carding?

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Celebrity's web site says they'll be asking for proof of vaccination. Do you think that they'll go through with that in FL despite the governor's and legislature's ban on vaccination carding?
I honestly don't know what will happen. Retailers and restaurants are one thing but cruise lines are a whole different animal. If Florida wants that cruise revenue back, I think they will end up changing that law so it does not affect cruise lines. Just my 2 cents
I do know that the CDC gave cruise lines like Celebrity and Royal since they are owned by the same company (and they have been working diligently with the CDC to form guidelines) either a 98/95% vaccinated or to do test cruises. Celebrity chose the mandatory vaccinated while RCCL chose test cruises. Now we are being told that RCCL wants mandatory vaccinations but with so many children on their ships, they are going to have a hard time hitting the 95% vaccinated. They are saying 16 and above need to be vaccinated and after Aug 1st 12 and up. We watch this constantly so we can keep on top of it since we book so many different cruise lines.

Pam

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom