FL Governor tells CDC to get its act together

nickys

Premium Member
Related NCL pitched a plan to the CDC. The following is a quote from the USA Today article:

• All passengers embarking or disembarking at a U.S. port show proof of being fully vaccinated no less than two weeks before departure.
  • All crew must be vaccinated at least two weeks before their duties onboard are scheduled to begin.
  • Norwegian cruise lines will incorporate safety protocol developed by the Healthy Sail Panel, a task force put together with Royal Caribbean. Protocol includes testing, mask-wearing, sanitizing and more.
  • Norwegian lines will start sailing on July 4 with limited capacity starting at 60% and ramping up by 20% every 30 days.

How this will play with the Florida governor's ban on vaccine passports is unknown.
Not to mention the fact that the BBC is telling me this morning that there will be no US Federal vaccination passports.

aliceismad

Not to mention the fact that the BBC is telling me this morning that there will be no US Federal vaccination passports.
Yes, the press secretary said that in a briefing. I think there is a difference, though, between a government system and government sanctioned "vaccination passport" and a corporation requiring cruise guests to show proof of vaccination.

Bob Harlem

Royal just started offering cruises out of Southampton in the UK in July on one of their larger ships (Anthem).

I think it's pretty much a given cruises in the US will be happening before the summer is over, CDC is just really behind.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Royal just started offering cruises out of Southampton in the UK in July on one of their larger ships (Anthem).

I think it's pretty much a given cruises in the US will be happening before the summer is over, CDC is just really behind.
CDC just gave the lines the tech specs they said they needed.

Carnival balked at attempting to follow it.

It would be irresponsible for the CDC to say, "Hey, go ahead and restart cruising on July 4 with no COVID protocols. Have fun!" ... at this time.

aliceismad

Hopefully. Yesterday Carnival canceled all it's U.S. cruises through June 30 and is allowing people to delay their last payment or cancel their own cruises booked for July.

I know the cruise lines have been pushing bookings just so they still have enough capital to not go bankrupt. But it's gotta be frustrating for people who have cruises booked.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

So you have to have proof of vaccination if over 18 and at least two weeks from the second shot till sail date. Sounds like a vaccination "passport" of a kind will be needed.

GimpYancIent

So you have to have proof of vaccination if over 18 and at least two weeks from the second shot till sail date. Sounds like a vaccination "passport" of a kind will be needed.
The use of the term "vaccination passport" stirs unnecessary angst, why is it critical to use it. Simply stating proof of vaccination is sufficient. Done! But I guess its fun to poke the bear.

nickys

Premium Member
Yep. I tried asking on the RCL site “chat” feature what kind of proof they would accept, but it’s clearly a bot not a real person as it kept asking me what date and how many in the party.

nickys

Premium Member
The use of the term "vaccination passport" stirs unnecessary angst, why is it critical to use it. Simply stating proof of vaccination is sufficient. Done! But I guess its fun to poke the bear.
True. But in the U.K. we don’t get a card or anything to show we’ve had the shot. So what kind of proof are RCL going to accept? A signed piece of paper saying “yes I’ve been vaccinated”?

aliceismad

Yep. I tried asking on the RCL site “chat” feature what kind of proof they would accept, but it’s clearly a bot not a real person as it kept asking me what date and how many in the party.
From RCL's site:
1617819288758.png

So it appears a "passport" set up by a government entity might work, but so would the card you're given when you get your shots.

Not sure how how the UK is administering shots or recordkeeping.

Last edited:

aliceismad

Also just as an FYI for potential things Disney could do, NCL says it's first cruises back will be from Athens, Greece; Montego Bay, Jamaica; and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

nickys

Premium Member
From RCL's site:
View attachment 546098

So it appears a "passport" set up by a government entity might work, but so would the card you're given when you get your shots.

Not sure how how the UK is administering shots or recordkeeping.
See my other post. We aren’t getting any card or anything. We get called up by letter, but that doesn’t prove we went to get the vaccine.

It will be on the vaccine database. And I assume on our health records. But to get hold of them you have to apply for a full copy of your health record, and I have no idea how long that might take. Or how exactly you do it.

And if they have some voluntary vaccine passport scheme, it will only be available once all adults in the U.K. have been called up for the vaccine. Not in time for the RCL sailings, or the planned DCL ones either.

aliceismad

See my other post. We aren’t getting any card or anything. We get called up by letter, but that doesn’t prove we went to get the vaccine.

It will be on the vaccine database. And I assume on our health records. But to get hold of them you have to apply for a full copy of your health record, and I have no idea how long that might take. Or how exactly you do it.

And if they have some voluntary vaccine passport scheme, it will only be available once all adults in the U.K. have been called up for the vaccine. Not in time for the RCL sailings, or the planned DCL ones either.
Yeah I'm sorry, I'm not sure on the UK records. That's unfortunate that the guidance isn't better for you.

nickys

Premium Member
Yeah I'm sorry, I'm not sure on the UK records. That's unfortunate that the guidance isn't better for you.
Which is why I think DCL are waiting. RCL are banking on something being sorted out in time, but I have my doubts that will happen.

As discussed earlier, DCL haven’t yet said that vaccination will be required for these U.K. sailings. It may be they are willing to be flexible and use PCR test results maybe a couple of times before boarding.

aliceismad

Which is why I think DCL are waiting. RCL are banking on something being sorted out in time, but I have my doubts that will happen.

As discussed earlier, DCL haven’t yet said that vaccination will be required for these U.K. sailings. It may be they are willing to be flexible and use PCR test results maybe a couple of times before boarding.
Honestly, I don't think some of the cruise lines have been very forthcoming with information during covid. I've personally had and heard other stories of a lack of answers or conflicting answers from cruise personnel. I think there's a good chance that they put language out there to try to boost consumer confidence (and stock markets?) before a solid plan was in place. (Or at least before a solid plan was communicated with all their staff, like customer service people.)

ToTBellHop

Another thing none of them have explained yet is how they are going to get their crew vaccinated. 🤷‍♀️
I’m sure if we can send 2.5 million vaccine doses to Mexico, we can set some aside for a business entity Americans enjoy. We are sending vaccine to Mexico and Canada to indirectly keep Americans safe. This would also do that. We will give A-Z vaccines to anyone!

nickys

Premium Member
I’m sure if we can send 2.5 million vaccine doses to Mexico, we can set some aside for a business entity Americans enjoy. We are sending vaccine to Mexico and Canada to indirectly keep Americans safe. This would also do that.
But none of these cruise lines are American. Except maybe DCL. And presumably most of the crew are currently at home.

These cruise lines are planning to sail in Europe and the ships are already over here. There’s nothing for US citizens to enjoy, they can’t join these sailings. Why would the US government allow a non US company hundreds of vaccines when US citizens won’t benefit from them?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
But none of these cruise lines are American. Except maybe DCL. And presumably most of the crew are currently at home.

These cruise lines are planning to sail in Europe and the ships are already over here. There’s nothing for US citizens to enjoy, they can’t join these sailings. Why would the US government allow a non US company hundreds of vaccines when US citizens won’t benefit from them?
logical star trek GIF

ToTBellHop

I’m assuming we’d vaccinate crews on ships that will sail from American ports. The President just said we’d be in a position to send many vaccine doses elsewhere soon. I can’t see why this couldn’t be part of that. We will have 300m AZ doses we don’t want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom