Five existing in-park kennels to close when new facility opens this summer?

Biff215

one of the reasons i go on vacation is to get away from my dog. I could not imagine taking that beast with me when i go to disney unless it was to leave him locked in the car while i visited the magic kingdom. Now that would make it the happiest place on earth!

This was somewhat funny until you mentioned leaving your dog in a locked car. That's just disturbing.

ttalovebug

Well, I hope since this is a larger facility they will let your dog out for you. When we go to the parks for a day trip, one of us has to go back to the kennel to take the dog for a walk in the middle of the day. It sure would be a hassle to have to drive to do that.

Figment1986

The new kennel is right around the corner form Ft Wilderness. While it surely will not be as convenient as the one currently at Ft Wilderness it will only be about a 5 minute detour.

Well actually it would be more of a detour than you think... because it requires you going from fort wilderness in a vehicle to the new kennel/pet resort... before you could walk your pets from your loop to the kennel at the resort.

Also you would need to think about those who only brought a camper... I understand the parks consolidating, but fort wilderness is a campground that allows pets, and it just seems like it should keep the day kennel as a courtesy to the guests staying there.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well actually it would be more of a detour than you think... because it requires you going from fort wilderness in a vehicle to the new kennel/pet resort... before you could walk your pets from your loop to the kennel at the resort.

Also you would need to think about those who only brought a camper... I understand the parks consolidating, but fort wilderness is a campground that allows pets, and it just seems like it should keep the day kennel as a courtesy to the guests staying there.
What surprised me was the location that they put it. I would have thought that they would have built it directly across the street from Ft Wilderness and not it its present location around the corner. I am assuming that either Disney will be offering some type of transportation to the kennel from Ft Wilderness or they have determined that the situation that you described does not happen enough for them to worry about it. I guess we shall see in the near future.

JonnyK

This was somewhat funny until you mentioned leaving your dog in a locked car. That's just disturbing.

Talk about Dehydration too :lookaroun

Think of those summer heat :eek: - This is more disturbing leaving it in the car during the summer season with the windows up or a bit rolled down.

xtina72

Universal Hotels allow you to bring your dogs into the hotels, a neighbor of mine always stays at the Universal hotels because of that, they charge you an extra fee to do so....Im sorry, I am an animal lover but I find that pretty gross. People are sloppy with their own human stuffs on vacation in a hotel, I cant imagine what people "allow" with a dog in a hotel. :hurl:

...and I bet that most maids do not clean EXTRA WELL after they know a dog has been in the room.

My neighbor, who may I add is a moron (lol) proceeds to tell me that when they get back from the parks her dog has many times pooped and peed on the floor and one time the bed....she said "I cleaned it up so they wouldnt know"

OMG how gross for the people AFTER them!!!!! I am NOT for dogs in hotels.

frank2271

Universal Hotels allow you to bring your dogs into the hotels, a neighbor of mine always stays at the Universal hotels because of that, they charge you an extra fee to do so....Im sorry, I am an animal lover but I find that pretty gross. People are sloppy with their own human stuffs on vacation in a hotel, I cant imagine what people "allow" with a dog in a hotel. :hurl:

...and I bet that most maids do not clean EXTRA WELL after they know a dog has been in the room.

My neighbor, who may I add is a moron (lol) proceeds to tell me that when they get back from the parks her dog has many times pooped and peed on the floor and one time the bed....she said "I cleaned it up so they wouldnt know"

OMG how gross for the people AFTER them!!!!! I am NOT for dogs in hotels.

I remember years ago Oprah did her show in WDW and she stayed at the GF and she showed her room for the show, and guess what???? Her dogs were there, so I guess if your rich and/or powerful enough Disney will let your dogs in the hotels.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I remember years ago Oprah did her show in WDW and she stayed at the GF and she showed her room for the show, and guess what???? Her dogs were there, so I guess if your rich and/or powerful enough Disney will let your dogs in the hotels.
If you have the cash I'll wager Disney would let you keep a giraffe in your room.:lol:

Starry9281

There is a lot of confusion about the current state of the kennels on Disney property. They have facilities at TTC, Fort Wilderness and Epcot where the staff will walk and feed your pet for you. The only kennels that do not provide that service are Studios and AK. (Side note: ALL the kennels on property require proof of vaccinations in order to board your pet...which the owner should have anyway if they're flying with their pet or driving across state lines with their pet in the car. At least if they want to do it legally...) Most people end up being confused because if you don't make a reservation ahead of time, chances are the only space available will be at Studios or AK where you will have to return to walk and feed your own pet, which leads people to believe that these services aren't offered at any of the kennels. (Another side note: I've never understood why someone with a 100 lb. Great Dane would travel all the way to FL with their dog and not even call first to see if they are going to have space to board him.)

The facility at Epcot is the largest and also one of the most popular. They are almost always full for dogs over 50 pounds. Same goes for the one at TTC, although they are a bit smaller. The one at Fort Wilderness is almost always full...period. They are the smallest kennel and have returning customers who vacation every year at FW that bring their pets every time. Doesn't matter what size dog you have, if you show up unannounced, you'll most likely be turned away.

The kennels at Studios and AK are hit and miss. They are both fairly large facilities (AK being larger than DHS) and get full for dogs over 50 pounds quickly because they are the only option when the other three have to turn people away. During holiday weekends and busy times, these kennels get completely full as well. During non-peak times, these kennels can be like a ghost town. Some people choose to board there because they don't want strangers handling their dog, others are forced (unhappily) into the situation and even though they're told they need to come back to walk and feed their own pet and sign paperwork agreeing to do this, they will not return long periods of time to take care of their pets. They assume the staff will just take care of it but at AK and DHS, they will not. The new center will be good in that respect, because all the animals will be taken care of by the staff.

If I had to guess, I would say that they have room for about 50 dogs over 50 pounds between all 5 kennels, a lot more than that for dogs between 10 and 50 pounds (probably close to 150, if not more) and a bunch of spaces for dogs under 10 pounds, which hardly ever fill up. Sounds like they're cutting back on the space for cats at the new center though.

With all that being said, the company that took over is a nationwide company however the kennels on Disney property are their only locations in Florida. Draw your own conclusions from your own experience (and things might be handled differently at the new center) but in my experience, an isolated operation with inexperienced employees away from the eyes of upper management and corporate is rarely a shining example of how the business should be run.

And this goes without saying, I'm sure, but it is against the law to leave your animal in a parked car in FL. If Security sees an animal in the car, they will get Orange County to break your window (fastest method) and remove the pet. And then press charges...

yes, it is against the lasw to leave your pet in the car here in FL.

My cat has stayed at Ft Wilderness kennel once (in an emergency, & he was there in the cat room by himself) and twice at TTC last fall. I felt the staff was very animal friendly at both facilities. When Cedric stayed at TTC, I went and spent time with him every day. It was very handy when I stayed at BLT, as I just hopped on the monorail.

Since the kennels are run by an operating participant, Best Friends, I wonder who is making the supposed decision to close the other facilities....:confused:

julwh

Anyone know when they will be opening? We are planning a trip in August and want to bring our dogs with us.

JoeDsny

???

I love the convience of leaving my little one at the front of the park. I park hop ALOT and just being able to go and walk him for a bit is nice. closing them and making me drive to riverside is going to be a pain in the butt. so most llikely I will have to leave him at home when they finally do close them :(

sweetpee_1993

I'm really hopeful that they will build this facility to be like the Pet Paradise pet resort we take our little dog to when we need to board. I love the way they have the doggy door for each "guest room" so they all have their own outside "potty" space. We let our little girl out to "go" no less than 4 times a day, sometimes more. It's a bummer to have to pay a fortune for her to get the extra potty breaks she's accustomed to. Having her on-property will be a big plus for us now that our friends who usually dog-sit moved away.

As for cost, I was trying to get an idea of what the rates will be by looking at the rates at several of the Best Friend's other facilities that are similar to what's being built at WDW. My predictions? For our small dog in the 2-room/space setup will be about $28-$30/night. All the rates I looked at said the group play session is $12. I'm guess-timating that being at WDW will make it a couple bucks more. So for us, my forecast total per night will be $40 - $45. We'll have to wait & see. The Pet Paradise in Houston generally costs $35/night (including a group play session every day) so I don't feel like it's that far out of the norm considering it's at WDW where everything costs more. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom