First timer with 4 kids HELP !!

mymomee3

Original Poster
:hammer: Ok I'm a first time poster & a first time park visitor. We are bringing our camper & staying at fort wilderness & I cant seem to find any of your tips on this campground. HELP with tips & advise.

We are also (bravely) taking our 4 young children (2,3,6,7) I bought the birnbaums book & have planned our park days but not yet planned out any rides. We are going to try to get to the parks on there days for the early enterances.

What would you suggest as the best spot to eat for our 1 or 2 big dinners out, remember we have young children.

Do all of the parks offer an evening "fireworks display of sorts" ?

Ok what do you think of thes plan, your the experts:
Mon. anim. kingd , possible nice dinner night
tues. mgm or epcot
wed mgm or epcot
thurs magic kingd
friday not sure yet

I want to possibly hit magic kingdom twice but the books say do NOT go to magic king. on monday ( I was thinking of mon & fri for this park) I also wanted to take advantage of there hour early entrance thing.

OK .....Maybe you guys should help me re-plan our schedule.

We are arriving on sunday march28, leaving on the following saturday & have park hoppers for mon through all day friday.

HELP !! my planning time is running out of time.

Are there any meal deals out there?

Thank you !!:wave:

MKCP 1985

Welcome, and good luck with your upcoming trip - it sounds like it should be a lot of fun for your kids. So you have a 6 & 7 year old, and then a 2 & 3? I would have to think your best bet for the finer dining meals is going to be the character meals because the adults will get better than fast food and the kids will endure a lengthy sitting because every few minutes a different character will come to the table and goof around with the kids.

Liberty Tree in Magic Kingdom comes to mind for character meal other than breakfast. Crystal Palace is another.

If you are wanting one of your good meals to be at Animal Kingdom, I would suggest you consider the Rain Forest Cafe - lots of animal animatronics inside that act up every so often, and the kids will probably think it is really cool, although some timid children may be spooked by the "rainstorm" that occurs every so often.

As far as fireworks - Magic Kingdom: Wishes, EPCOT (Center): Illuminations, Dis-MGM: Fantasmic. Animal Kingdom: None that I know of, really.

As far as meal deals, many of the restaurants have kids meals, and you can often substitute fruit for fries, which is sweet when you are eating a lot of burgers and pizza.

Well, there are a couple of thoughts!

Maria

Originally posted by mymomee3
tues. mgm or epcot
wed mgm or epcot
thurs magic kingd
friday not sure yet

I want to possibly hit magic kingdom twice but the books say do NOT go to magic king. on monday ( I was thinking of mon & fri for this park) I also wanted to take advantage of there hour early entrance thing.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Considering the ages of your kids, I would suggest you to do one park a day and take your time without trying to see eeeeverything, if you know what I mean. You will be there a whole week, so do it at a comfortable pace for all.
I would also suggest to leave MK for two days as you want to do it, because the kids will love it and if you see it first, they may not find the other parks as entertaining as MK and will bug you to go back while you are trying to show them the others! (We did that when kids... :D ).
AK closes early so you can have your nice dinner that night, that´s a good idea.
I´ve read some people take breaks while visiting the parks and go back to their hotels to the pool or to tak a nap after lunch time. Then they go back to finish with the park and see the night shows. You could do that too so you don´t have four cranky kids in the evening. :animwink:

That´s all I can think of now, but I am sure others will be more helpful!
:wave:

Since1976

<i>I´ve read some people take breaks while visiting the parks and go back to their hotels to the pool or to tak a nap after lunch time. Then they go back to finish with the park and see the night shows. You could do that too so you don´t have four cranky kids in the evening. </i>

I may do this my next trip. Do you have to get your hand stamped when you leave the park or do you just reinsert your pass when you return?

tigsmom

Welcome! You are brave taking kids that young & close together in age.

For your Fancy dinner try to make it a character meal as suggested. It really does help in keeping them well behaved.
You might want to try the Trails End Buffet at the campground. I have never eaten here (its on my list of things to do), but I hear its fantastic. If you can try to have dinner one night at the Whispering Canyon Cafe in the Wilderness Lodge (just take the boat across from the campground). Its great fun & they have pony express races (on a stick pony) thats fun for all.

Did you get Birnbaum's book WDW for Kids By Kids? This is great as it rates rides, shows, etc from a kid's point of view. My girls love it. We always do 2 days at the MK because its our favorite park. There is so much to see & do. Don't forget autograph books and thick pens and a camera for all those group pics.
:D

Try to build in a rest period daily. Head back to the campground for a nap (or maybe a swim). Then head back to the parks, especially if you plan on staying for the fireworks. You probably will want a stroller, too.

I'm not much of a planner we usually just go with the flow.(there are four of us: 2 adults & 2 kids-15 & 9.) Your plan sounds good, but remember.....Don't push the kids. Let them set the pace. It will keep everyone happier.

Check out this site: http://allearsnet.com/

It has all sorts of info you could use. Enjoy your trip.

:wave:

MadameCheshire

Originally posted by Since1976
I may do this my next trip. Do you have to get your hand stamped when you leave the park or do you just reinsert your pass when you return?

It depends on what kind of ticket you have. If you have a park hopper then no, but you have to get a stamp if you don.t Even with a park hopper it is a good idea to get stamped anyway.

-Sam

MadameCheshire

It may be a good idea to go on the parks other than these days..

Mon - Magic Kingdom
Tues- EPCOT
Wed - MGM
Thurs - Animal Kingdom

When people go down to WDW they tend to go in that order. You know, come in on the weekend and start Monday. So on those days the parks are the busiest.

The Character meals are a great idea. My parents took us to them when we were little, and they are fun. Not only for the kids, but parents enjoy them too. Spoodles is also a nice resteraunt. It is on the Boardwalk.

Have fun!

-Sam

ddbutts1

As for going to the parks that have early opening on certain days, don't! Those days are usually the busiest days for that park. ust my 2 cents.

tigsmom

We always try to do the early in (esp if your kids are early risers). You can have the park just about done by noon ( or earlier) and head on out for a quiet lunch or to another park.

johnvree

Hi mymomee3.

Did you say when you are going? If it's off-season, then it may not matter what day you are going to which park.

Here's an alternative plan:

Monday: MGM, have dinner at Sci-Fi and see Fantasmic. Sci-Fi should keep the little ones occupied and allow you to relax and enjoy your meal a litte

Tuesday: MK, see Wishes.

Wednesday: AK, there is no fireworks/closing show. Go to Epcot at night and see Illuminations.

Thursday: MK, dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern.

Just a thought.

Have fun planning.

Shaman

:hammer: Ok I'm a first time poster & a first time park visitor. We are bringing our camper & staying at fort wilderness & I cant seem to find any of your tips on this campground. HELP with tips & advise.

We are also (bravely) taking our 4 young children (2,3,6,7) I bought the birnbaums book & have planned our park days but not yet planned out any rides. We are going to try to get to the parks on there days for the early enterances.

What would you suggest as the best spot to eat for our 1 or 2 big dinners out, remember we have young children.

Do all of the parks offer an evening "fireworks display of sorts" ?

tues. mgm or epcot
wed mgm or epcot
thurs magic kingd
friday not sure yet

OK .....Maybe you guys should help me re-plan our schedule.

We are arriving on sunday march28, leaving on the following saturday & have park hoppers for mon through all day friday.

HELP !! my planning time is running out of time.

Are there any meal deals out there?

Thank you !!:wave:

Ok...this is the order I would do the parks:

Monday: AK...this park is usually the least crowded and has some great things to see (including a great parade before the park closes)...since it closes early, you can head to Epcot grab dinner near where you are staying or have dinner at one of the restaurants at the World Showcase...then watch Illuminations in Epcot...

Tuesday: The Studios....this park like AK isn't all that crowded, except around the big attractions....Fantasmic would be the show to catch on this night (remember with Fantasmic you need to be there sometime before so you can get seats)...

Wednesday: MK...(for some reason the parks are less crowded on wednesdays) perhaps you can see more on this day at MK.....see wishes on this night....

Thursday: Epcot....see the rest of Epcot...although there is not alot here for your younger kids....there is still some stuff to do...maybe you can head to Epcot early...leave, grab lunch and then head out to MK again....maybe have another big dinner on this night...

Friday: Try to relax, this being the last day...maybe see somethings you didn't get to see at a particular park...or maybe even go to Downtown Disney....

I know that it is sometimes good to plan...but speaking from experience things usually don't go the way you plan them to....the best advice I could give is for your to take it slow...and like many have already suggested (and I do this myself) is leave the park at midday have a quiet lunch and relax and head out again in afternoon....and like Maria said you may want to leave the fav kids park MK for the later part of the trip....

Hope some of this stuff helps!!! Have a fun trip, and welcome to the boards!!!

figmentmom

With four youngsters in tow, you're going to have to be very flexible in your planning and touring! WDW is overwhelming, so take it easy. Don't be disappointed if you can't accomplish everything you had planned every day. One park a day is a good idea, and I would definitely leave the Magic Kingdom for the fourth day - EPCOT especially is a letdown for little ones who are used to the thrill-a-minute pace of the Magic Kingdom. When the kids are grouchy, head back to the campground for a break, nap, swim, snack, whatever! The restaurants that others have already suggested are great ideas. If you wind up at downtown Disney at lunch or dinner time, the Rainforest Cafe there is as much fun as the one at the Animal Kingdom, so you might want to combine a trip there with a meal.

AP.S. Bring your own rain ponchos, in any color except yellow! The yellow Disney ones are reasonably priced, don't get me wrong, but in the rain, EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME and you may have a hard time keeping track of your older two!

CAPTAIN HOOK

OK - first things first - Welcome.
I want to possibly hit magic kingdom twice but the books say do NOT go to magic king. on monday
If everybody did as they were told and followed the advice of books then MK would be empty on a Monday :lol:

Considering the age of the kids I would leave MK until last - the best park for kids of their ages - build up to it.
Consider EPCOT on your first day - stay for Illuminations at night.
Animal Kingdom on day 2 (can be done in less than a day) and then you have options for the remainder of the day
MGM on day 3 - Fantasmic at the end of the day
MK on day 4 - Wishes plus Spectromagic (check schedules for when Spectromagic is running, you may have to alter your schedules)
Day 5 - revisit MK ? - too much to do in one day

imagineer99

My advice is quite simple...

DON'T TRY TO DO EVERYTHING! :) If you struggle to see and do all that WDW, you will become too tired, your kids are going get cranky, and no one is oing to have any fun. It's a vacation so have fun!

Plan a little, Play a lot!

Like others have mentioned, take breaks throughout the day. Go back to Fort Wilderness to relax before venturing back to the parks in the afternoon.

Do two parks in one day:

i.e. start in MK and finish at EPCOT. This way you never will get "sick" of the parks that you are in.

Also, if you are going to Fast Pass make sure it is on these two attractions: TEST TRACK and SPLASH MOUNTAIN.

Have Fun!

MadameCheshire

Oh, if you are looking at the Fast Passes it is a good idea to get the ones fro Buzz Lightyear, Space and or Splash Mountain, and Haunted Mansion first because they seem to he the first to run out. I am not sure how much the little ones will like the roller coaster or Haunted Mansion, but just a tip.

Also, at MGM if you were looking at Tower of Terror (I know when we went) one parent can go with a child if they had wanted to go, and the other can stay with the other children. Then, once you get off the other parent can go up and get right (with another child.. or the smae one) on the ride. So if you and your husband wanted to ride, and if some of your children wanted to and others didn't. Tower of Terror is also a ride you should definetly get a fast pass for if you were looking at riding it.

Oh yes, at Downtown Disney there are these fountain things spread out round the place. One (which is closer to the end of downtown disney) and you can go and play in them. At least, I believe you still can. It is a great deal of fun, mainly for the kids, but the older ones may like it better because they aren't the softest water shoots. However, in front of the Disney store there are some calmer ones.

And yes.. the dinner in Cinderella's Castle would be a great idea. MAybe on the day you are at MK or on the last day (you have to pay to go into the park to go in, so it is a good idea to go on a day you are planning MK) The view from the top of the castle is great, and it is a nice resteraunt with lots of food. However, it is a little pricey, and I don't know what your budget is.

Have a great time!

-Sam

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
You're Brave

Four kids under 8? Go to Epcot where you can have a few drinks to calm the nerves :lol:

But seriously, I agree fully with tiggsmom (no relation) in that you should get to the parks early, hit one or two items that the older kids have ID'd as wanting to do and then coast. Plan on returning to the campgrounds midday to decompress/nap. For the two younger ones, definitely get strollers (you pay once a day and can pick up strollers at any park if you park hop). The walking (or carrying) of them will wear you down.

For Fantasmic, I strongly suggest you eat at a restaurant that offers the Fantasmic admission package. Otherwise you need to get there at least an hour in advance...and that wait time with kids :hammer:

You may want to explore the various buffets offered to satisfy everyones tastes in a single meal.

Consider splitting up for some of the day as the two older children will have a different agenda than the younger. Toontown would be nice for the younger ones unless they get terrified by the "giant" characters as many do.

In summary, I suggest that you be careful not to try to push and do too much in any one day. With the wonders of the parks, the kids sometimes just want a pool. Enjoy it at a slower pace and plan for more complex visits in the future (with the guidelines being different.)

GenerationX

The best advice I can give you as a fellow parent (my boys are 4, 6, and 8) is:

1. Buy the Unofficial Guide to WDW by Bob Sehlinger. This book is significantly more useful than Birnbaum's book. The scariness factors and ride ratings by age group are very accurate, in my experience.

2. Try not to spend more than 5 or 6 hours straight at any one park. Go back to the campground for a break mid-day.

3. Make Priority Seating reservations for your big meals, and I would make them for character meals. They're all good.

4. Plan on hitting the playgrounds at each park. It's a good chance for the kids to run around and not have to be standing in line or sitting at a restaurant (MK - Tom Sawyer's Island, AK - Boneyard, Ep - Viking Ship, MGM - Honey, I Shrunk the Playground).

5. Use FastPass to avoid lines.

Have fun!!! :wave:

mymomee3

Original Poster
Thanks for the help.....

We are going to see enough & at a slow pace as you suggest. We are going to bring small snacks, drinks, & strollers.

Whats the best character meal to get into, we are coming next week?

I need info on FT wilderness camping? have any of you stayed there? How far is it to the parks, walk, ride ??

Kim

Oh explain fantasmic previous poster please. I didnt understand what your were trying to describe to me?

I'm such a beginner.

Maria

You got it Kim! Slow pace, snacks, strollers, possible breaks, etc... I´d still suggest to leave MK for the last two days... :animwink:

As for Fantasmic, it´s an awesome night show at MGM. It´s done in an amphiteather that holds 9,000 people in the bleachers, but it fillls up very fast. The show is a tour around Disney movies conducted by Mickey Mouse himself. It involves special effects, floats, boats, fire, water, lots of characters too, and beautiful music! I love it! :sohappy:

There is a 'dinner package' -I am not sure if offered all year round- that guarantees you a seat, so you can dine while the rest of the people queue. The lines get long and start sometimes more than an hour before showtime. Fantasmic is included in your park entrance, but a seat is not guaranteed, once it fills up, they can close it and you won´t be able to see it. If you get the dinner package, no matter when you finish dinner, you can still have access to the amphiteater and your seat is saved for you.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom