first time to WDW any tips or suggestions

powlessfamily4

Original Poster
Hi this is first trip to WDW and I was wondering if there are any tips or suggestions of places to go or things to do and what not. So any tips or suggestions would be welcomes!

THANKS VERY MUCH

klineski96

This is the right place! Lots of people on here will have plenty of good tips and suggestions for you. Just a few questions though...

How many people are going?
What are their ages?
How long are you staying?

goofykt

Hi this is first trip to WDW and I was wondering if there are any tips or suggestions of places to go or things to do and what not. So any tips or suggestions would be welcomes!

THANKS VERY MUCH

Hello and CONGRATULATIONS on your first trip! I bet you guys are so excited to finally be going :)

I saw your user name and am assuming you have kids, so two places I would definitely recommend for both the "young and old" are the 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater (both are in Disney Hollywood Studios). The DH and I have gone to both places by ourselves and also with a big family group, and we've always had a blast. When my family took it's first trip to WDW right after DHS was built, eating at 50's Prime Time was one of the few things I remembered about the trip (I was the only one that wasn't scolded for having their elbows on the table :) )

Another good idea is to buy a few boxes of granola/cereal bars before you leave, and pack them in your purse or backpack for the parks. Sometimes I get hungry but don't want to eat a big snack between meals (or pay for one), so it's nice to have a little something to tide you or your kids over while you're walking around.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but this is all my tired brain can muster right now. I know you'll get a lot of really good advice from everyone else on these boards...there are some incredibly knowledgeable people on here!!!

RiversideBunny

Be at the parks when they open. Don't sleep in.
The first two-three hours at any park are the best.
Less crowds.

Early to bed (sort of). Early to rise, definitely.

Good luck.
:)

SAV

PLAN, PLAN and PLAN. Go and buy the Unofficial guide to Walt Disney World:

• The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2010
  • Author: Bob Sehlinger with Len Testa
  • List Price: $19.99 USD
  • Format: Paperback, 864 pages
  • ISBN: 978-0470460269
  • Publisher: John Wiley & Sons (First printing August 2009, Second printing March 2010)
UG2010small.jpg

MillerPoppins

It's best to leave all souvenir shopping til the end of the trip if you are looking to buy a lot. This way, you have the whole trip to check out what you want and make decisions. However, if you see things in the park you like i.e. safari style stuff in AK, buy it. Park specific related merchandise is not available all over Property.

Take advantage of the fast pass and photo pass opportunities, they are great little inventions. And the photo pass folks will also take pictures with your own camera!

Have a great time!

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
PLAN, PLAN and PLAN. Go and buy the Unofficial guide to Walt Disney World:

• The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2010
  • Author: Bob Sehlinger with Len Testa
  • List Price: $19.99 USD
  • Format: Paperback, 864 pages
  • ISBN: 978-0470460269
  • Publisher: John Wiley & Sons (First printing August 2009, Second printing March 2010)
UG2010small.jpg

The new colorized one is AMAZING!

Susan Savia

Wear comfy shoes.
Bring snacks.
Get to the park of choice at rope drop.
Do not waste time going back to room to nap/pool.
Go go go.
Take time to sit on a bench.
Make at least two character dining reservations.
See Wishes
Plan for at least 5 days, more if possible.
Fast pass when needed.
Eat lunch prior to noon hour or well after to avoid the rush.
Take lots of pictures.
Meet lots of characters. (We happen on most just walking around)
Above all, enjoy the moment!:)

Duckberg

GOOD List

Wear comfy shoes.
Bring snacks.
Get to the park of choice at rope drop.
Do not waste time going back to room to nap/pool.
Go go go.
Take time to sit on a bench.
Make at least two character dining reservations.
See Wishes
Plan for at least 5 days, more if possible.
Fast pass when needed.
Eat lunch prior to noon hour or well after to avoid the rush.
Take lots of pictures.
Meet lots of characters. (We happen on most just walking around)
Above all, enjoy the moment!:)

PLAN AHEAD before you walk thru the gates @ WDW not after!

PS Bottom Line ENJOY YOURSELVES Duckberg :D

CP_alum08

Maybe Im a little more 'free-spirited' than some, but I would say don't OVER plan. Its nice to have an idea of what you want to do, but being your first trip you won't see it all and can't expect to see it all. So, when you do plan make sure to leave some time for unexpected things to come up. Good things like walking to one attraction on your list and seeing one you really want to do but didn't have it on the list, or not so good things like having to spend hours in line for Toy Story! Either way, just make sure to leave some space, there is nothing worse than being stressed at WDW.

Now that thats done...here is my biggest tip. Don't let your kids (19 and 21) be adults! Im 22 and I still ride Dumbo! You and them will have a much better time if everyone lets their hair down. Everyone at WDW is there for the same reason so there is no reason to feel embarrassed about having fun.

misscritta

Comfortable shoes.
Drink LOTS of water.
I agree with the PP that said try not to overplan, but Disney is a vacation that does require a bit of research to be enjoyed. I second the recommendation of the Unofficial Guide. Great info inside. I also enjoyed the book "Mousejunkies". Good info, as well as just a fun read.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If you're going during the summer, the "early-to-rise" maxim works very well. Get in, enjoy yourselves, and then perhaps retire to your rooms for a couple of hours to let the crowds and heat subside, returning later in the day. Maybe even take some time away from the parks to enjoy the pool hotel or a water park. But simply relaxing and not letting yourselves get too stressed out by the parks and people will make your vacation eminently more enjoyable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom