first time to WDW any tips or suggestions

tjnpd116

have fun

1. Stay on disney property.
2. Get park maps and get a general idea of where to go in the parks.
3. line up for parades early.
4. Shop when leaving the park, so you dont have to carry it all day.
5. Reading this forum and getting a guide book is a good start, but talk with someone local who has been at least three times. they can really help. I talk to so many people who come back, that didn't talk to anyone, and didn't like the parks, but when you start asking questions, you find out they didnt see over 3/4 of the parks because they were so overwelmed.
6. Have fun!
Disney is the only place where you can be a kid again and no one looks at you funny, So relax, enjoy, and let yourself be young.

tjnpd116

have fun

1. Stay on disney property.2. Get park maps and get a general idea of where to go in the parks3. Line up for parades early. 4. Shop when leaving the park, so you dont have to carry it all day.5. Reading this forum and getting a guide book is a good start, but talk with someone local who has been at least three times. they can really help. I talk to so many people who come back, that didn't talk to anyone,and didn't like the parks, but when you start asking questions, you find out they didnt see over 3/4 of the parks because they were so overwelmed.6. Have fun! Disney is the only place where you can be a kid again and no one looks at you funny, So relax, enjoy, and let yourself be young again.

JWG

1. Stay on disney property.
2. Get park maps and get a general idea of where to go in the parks.
3. line up for parades early.
4. Shop when leaving the park, so you dont have to carry it all day.
5. Reading this forum and getting a guide book is a good start, but talk with someone local who has been at least three times. they can really help. I talk to so many people who come back, that didn't talk to anyone, and didn't like the parks, but when you start asking questions, you find out they didnt see over 3/4 of the parks because they were so overwelmed.
6. Have fun!
Disney is the only place where you can be a kid again and no one looks at you funny, So relax, enjoy, and let yourself be young.

1) Absolutely - Disney transportation, extra magic hours and Disney Dining Plan (if you're interested) make this worthwhile
2) You can create custom park maps if you're still 6-8 plus weeks out on Disney's website - these are great planning tools and souveneirs.
3) Even if it's raining. The MK has a cute rainy day parade we "got" to see on our trip
4) Or, if staying on property, have whatever you purchase sent back to your resort by the shop
6) Yes, and don't overplan or worry about seeing "everything" - it's not possible so enjoy what you get to

pcarathers

Be flexible. We plan every detail but are also aware that sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. Be sure to have confirmation numbers with you where you plan to eat. We learned this after last year. Had a res. for Liberty Tree in MK, got there and they had no record of it, and of course, all of our reservation info was back at the hotel. They had no openings at all, but were quick to call over to Crystal Palace and got us in right then, not far of a walk either. The Crystal Palace staff were waiting for us at the door! Talk about nice! But, have fun, pace yourself. There is NO WAY possible you will get to see and do EVERYTHING there is to offer. Take plenty of photos!!!! We look at ours from all of our past trips and see how kids have grown!

I also recomment the unofficial guide as well as Passporters guide and the Birnbaum. these have all been staples in our household. The passporter has some neat pockets in the back that allow you to record each day of your trip.

have fun....we still have about 7 1/2 months til we get back in December!!!!

LaughingGravy

As you're all adults, you have that extra capacity to Go Go Go.
Revel in that. Arrive 1/2 hour before opening any day you can.

Don't forget to take a breather every now and then and just sit down for a few minutes when you see a spot that can accommodate.
Take in the architecture, landscaping and watching other people go by.
You'd be surprised how much that will relax you and eliminate the need to go back to the hotel for a break as some others and even all the guide books suggest.

Stay until very late every night if you can. Even go into stores 15 minutes before park closing and take your time. You'll exit into an empty park, which is a wonderful experience.

Oh, and take me.

bjlc57

let me also say.. BUY THIS BOOK.. have one person read it and be RESPONSIBLE FOR IT.. meaning that , THAT PERSON, is boss..

with us , it's my wife.. the sarge.. when she says GO, YOU GO.. when she says turn here.. YOU TURN.. and when she says GET UP.. YOU GET YOUR BUTT UP...

and its Yes Sir at all times..

however.. this method has allowed us to see ALL THE RIDES and go on each of our favorite at least twice.. and with minimal waiting in lines..

like I said.. the last time.. six years ago.. we were the first person on the best five rides at Epcot.. we did the LAND alone.. just us and the girl doing the talk.. ( that has changed now)..

but follow the book to the letter.. and you will be well rewarded..

RoRo

Research and planning is the key. Get to the park right when it opens and you won't have to wait very long for the popular attractions.

gwhb75

PLAN, PLAN and PLAN.

Completly agree. Get to know the parks before you go. Look at maps and get to know where all the attractions are before you arrive. The guide books are great and well worth the money. Don't try and fit everything in in one trip (we've been twice in the last two years and still have a whole lot of things we haven't done yet). Mainly...have fun.

LoriMistress

How many - 10 in total but 4 in my family
Ages-42 ,41 , 19 and 21
How mandy days -7

It would also be helpful if you told us when you were planning on visiting? It can vary greatly if you're planning on going Thanksgiving/Christmas week or if you're going during the summer, or maybe off season.

I would suggest you plan, plan, plan! Going to WDW is a magical and wonderful experience, that you're entire family will love and have tons of fun, but to have a smooth vacation without any problems, I highly suggest you plan ahead.

I would suggest if you book to stay on property for your first stay. This will make you and your family's vacation more special. You book your vacation through WDW, use the DME to take you from the airport to your resort, and you wouldn't have to worry about using a rental car, because WDW does have transportation that can take you to the parks, DTD section, back to your resort--or if you like to visit other resorts, you can! Staying on property does feel like you're staying to a place that you've never been but it feels like home at the same time.

I would strongly suggest that you book ADRs in advance. If you stay on property you can book your ADR up to 180 days in advance. I would research which restaurants that would work best with your family. Book at least one Character dining (whether it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner). I would suggest breakfast because it's cheaper, and it's a nice way to start off your morning. Also, it's your confirmation that you'll be able to eat at restaurant that is a "must do" On our last vacation in '07, we saw so many families being turned away because the restaurant was booked up months in advance, and the majority of the people had to eat counter service (nothing wrong with that--but if you were just planning on having a sit down meal without an ADR, then don't be surprised if you can't get in).

I would suggest if you either purchase a book or visit different websites that can assist you on planning your family's Disney vacation. IMHO, websites like these, and others like Intercot, TGM, Passporter, etc. are excellent websites that can further assist you on planning your vacation.

Make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes, because you'll be doing tons of walking. Remember, you won't be able to see and do everything. Just have fun, after all, you're on vacation!!!

Congrats on planning your first trip, and welcome to the boards! :wave:

mickeyforlife

Hi this is first trip to WDW and I was wondering if there are any tips or suggestions of places to go or things to do and what not. So any tips or suggestions would be welcomes!

THANKS VERY MUCH

allears.net is a good planning web site. also my first trip I picked up a small head cold from going from the heat to the cool in door shows. and I looked everywhere to bye something to take. finally after a day of being sick was told to go downtown disney and go to counter in one of the stores and ask and they had some cold medicine behind counter. It was very expensive but I didn't care at the time just needed some relief. so My advice is make sure you pack cold medicine, headache med. etc from home. it could come in handy. also listen to some podcast they give good advice too. you may also consider a disney travel agent. they are free and very helpful in helping you plan your trip. I use Deb from magic for less and she is terrific. hope this helps some.:wave:

lilclerk

also my first trip I picked up a small head cold from going from the heat to the cool in door shows. and I looked everywhere to bye something to take. finally after a day of being sick was told to go downtown disney and go to counter in one of the stores and ask and they had some cold medicine behind counter. It was very expensive but I didn't care at the time just needed some relief. so My advice is make sure you pack cold medicine, headache med. etc from home. it could come in handy.
There's all kinds of first aid stuff in the resort shops. I've been able to get pepto bismol, cold medicine, advil, and ace bandages. There's always a problem :lol:

loveofamouse

dont waste your time on the swiss family robinson tree. It's a walk through at a snail's pass. No strollers and ALOT of stairs. You can't touch anything either.

definitely stay on property

use the transportation if you can.

If you have a family member with ANY type of special needs, go to guest services. We've been to disney 1-3x a year for 13yrs and didn't know about that one. lol.

there is a ride inside the golfball ;)

definitely see the Festival of the Lion King.

dont forget sunscreen

dont wear socks with sandals :)

fosse76

How many - 10 in total but 4 in my family
Ages-42 ,41 , 19 and 21
How mandy days -7

I would get a copy of The Complete Walt Disney World, and go through and identify the things you WANT to do. People here will reccomend classics, but go through and identify what you and your family want to do, and decide what you attractions you feel you can avoid. In other words, don't go on It's a Small World if you don't want to go on it. Don't visit the Tiki Room if you don't think you'll like it. That's not to say you shouldn't visit them...simply prioritize. Visit attractions on you low priority list if you have the time. Disney World is what you want it to be. I mean, if you don't like parades or care about fireworks, why waste your time watching them when you can be visiting or re-visiting attractions you do enjoy. Also, using FastPasses will help you get through more attractions by saving time (You can eat while waiting for the return time, or catch a show, or enjoy another attraction, etc.).

Staying on property is essential ONLY if you don't want to drive and/or want to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours, during which only Resort Guests can enjoy the parks. Don't buy a park hopper until the second you decide you want to visit a second park on the same day. You may find that you don't need to hop, and that will save you money.

bjlc57

rent a car for one day..

and drive to the Kississimi Walmart.. buy all your soda and gator aid and snacks there .. that one trip alone will save you $100 in drink costs..

example.. a 32 oz bottle of gatoaid at Walmart.. $1.. a 20 oz bottle in the park $3.50..

and there is no problem with bringing in your own drinks or sandwiches.. we brought drinks and granola snacks.. and that was enough.. enough to save paying $13 for a drink cup at the resort.. and more then pay for a days worth of a car..

RetiredFRN

I agree with an earlier post of plan, plan, plan. A little thought goes along way on what park to visit, when and what time. You need to look at EMH, times the parks close, special attratctions, and where you want to eat. You don't want to be in one park and have reservations to eat in another. Sounds simple but you can easily get wrapped up in the disney magic and lose track of time, I have done it. when I go I have worked out a basic plan of parks and ADR's and it has always worked for me. The most important thing I suggest though is have a good time. There is nothing like DW. Get lost in the atmosphere and fun and you will have a great trip. Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy, enjoy!!

Book Belle

Definatly take advantage of the Fastpasses. They're free and can really save you some time if you get some for the big rides at the beginning of the day. Aou can use them even after the end return time, so don't worry about not being able to get back exactly within the return time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom