First time on property with a car

disneytopdog

I have never had a car and driven around WDW while staying on property, I have always used Disney transportation. This trip I will have a car and will be staying at POP.

My question is, how hard is it to get around the world(park to park, resort to park, resort to resort)?

Are there published maps that show all the street, roadways, and highways? I really dont want a bunch of mapquest pages but maybe a atlas or folded map. Also a map that shows the nearest grocery, walmarts, walgreens etc....

slappy magoo

By and large you won't need any maps while in "the world." Signs to direct you from place to place are easy to spot and easy to follow.

WHile there are cheaper places to get groceries, there is a market - I think it's called Gooding's - right across the street from the "rear entrance" at the Downtown Disney side. You'll go down the street where all the non-Disney-but-still-on-Disney-property hotels are (like Marriott and Holiday Inn) and when you get to the end of that street, a giant strip mall called "The Crossroads" is right in front of you. Supermarket is there, as well as plenty of chain restaurants in case you want to give your wallet a break from WDW prices.

http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/disneyworld/maps_index.htm

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

We have a car every time we visit WDW. However, we only use it when visiting offsite attractions (SeaWorld etc) as I find Disney property to be short of directional signs. For this reason (and to assist a stress free break) we always use Disneys transportation - let someone else do the driving

Upvote 0

Philo

I agree with the Captain.

Maybe it's because driving on the wrong side of the road confuses me but I would find it far more stressful to drive (hence the reason I've never had a car in WDW). I also like to know I can have a drink with a meal and wear myself out so much that I fall asleep on the ride back to the hotel without neededing to worry.

However, the signs do seem pretty clear and whilst I'm sure a mistake or two will happen, I doubt there will be any bit problems.

I'm afraid I don't know where any stores are but if you head out of disney property you'll come across something soon enough.

Upvote 0

donsullivan

Premium Member
Something else you might want to try is spending some time on Google maps in advance of the trip. It can be really helpful to get your bearings about where things are relative to one another. It can be really useful to understand the routes between different locations and where one thing is relative to another on the property.

Just enter Walt Disney World Resort, Bay Lake, FL as the location

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Up to date maps on a GPS is the best way. Signage at WDW is accurate, but sparse. There might be one sign as you're driving to indicate when you need to turn. With family in the car [especially excited kids] it's easy to get distracted and miss the sign you needed to see.

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I always have a car when I go to WDW, I enjoy the freedom and not having to rely on the bus-system.

Beware of the other tourists!!! They'll be in the far left-lane and need to right-exit to EPCOT and will cut everyone and anyone off without looking - beware!!! :fork:

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I always have a car when I go to WDW, I enjoy the freedom and not having to rely on the bus-system.

Beware of the other tourists!!! They'll be in the far left-lane and need to right-exit to EPCOT and will cut everyone and anyone off without looking - beware!!! :fork:
:lol:

Partly because of the sparsity of signage [and a goodly number of them are idiots too!].

Upvote 0

durangojim

You won't have any trouble driving although you might get turned around especially at night. For some reasons when we used to rent a car (before the wonderful DME) we would always miss the turn on to World Drive and wind up a Animal Kingdom, the other thing that happened one evening after it was dark was my wife and I wound up drining up to a security check point behind Epcot near the wand. Still not sure how that happened:shrug:

Upvote 0

HollyBelle

We ALWAYS drive when we're on Disney property. It gives you more control and enables you to get places much faster than when you have to rely on the bus transportation.

I find the signs actually quite easy to follow. What you will want to know though, before going, is in which Resort Area the places you want to go are. For example, there will be signs directing you to the Epcot Resort Area, not the specific resorts (once you get into that Area you'll then find signs for specific resorts). Because of this you'll need to know what is in that resort area. The maps break this down nicely for you. So if you don't already know what is where, then keep one of those handy.

Once you start driving on property, you'll realize the busses take some really crazy (long) routes instead of the "straight from A to B" route you can take when driving yourself.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

We ALWAYS drive when we're on Disney property. It gives you more control and enables you to get places much faster than when you have to rely on the bus transportation.

I find the signs actually quite easy to follow. What you will want to know though, before going, is in which Resort Area the places you want to go are. For example, there will be signs directing you to the Epcot Resort Area, not the specific resorts (once you get into that Area you'll then find signs for specific resorts). Because of this you'll need to know what is in that resort area. The maps break this down nicely for you. So if you don't already know what is where, then keep one of those handy.

Once you start driving on property, you'll realize the busses take some really crazy (long) routes instead of the "straight from A to B" route you can take when driving yourself.
Huh...is this really true? If so, why do that do that?

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

I have never had a car and driven around WDW while staying on property, I have always used Disney transportation. This trip I will have a car and will be staying at POP.

My question is, how hard is it to get around the world(park to park, resort to park, resort to resort)?

Are there published maps that show all the street, roadways, and highways? I really dont want a bunch of mapquest pages but maybe a atlas or folded map. Also a map that shows the nearest grocery, walmarts, walgreens etc....
I found it to be quite easy. The only time I got a little confused was coming from the Cont back to CSR at night. Other than that, its not difficult at all.

Upvote 0

corey154

I think the signs make it easy, it feels like even if you take an exit you weren't supposed to, you can always take the next one and it gets you there. Plus I think it's easier to drive to animal kingdom and hollywood studios than the buses.

Upvote 0

mickey7879

We usually have a car while staying at Disney and it is sooo easy to get around. No need for a map. Just follow all the signs to get from park to park or resort to resort or wherever you want to go on property. We go on 192 a lot for restaurants, grocerys, pharmacy or whatever. There are signs directing you how to get there too and also how to get back on property. You won't have any problems. Just remember to put your resort parking pass on the dash so you won't have to pay for parking at the parks.

Upvote 0

Rob562

You won't have any trouble driving although you might get turned around especially at night. For some reasons when we used to rent a car (before the wonderful DME) we would always miss the turn on to World Drive and wind up a Animal Kingdom

Yeah, that right turn from Osceola Parkway onto World Drive northbound is one of the worst-signed turns on property. At home in the northeast, I'm used to a sign announcing the turn/exit before you get to it, and then another sign *at* the turn. That right-hand turn in WDW just has one sign with a "next right" notation (it might even be just an arrow pointing up and to the right).
If you miss that turn, the next big highway sign is an exit sign for World Drive South to I4/192, and "All other Guest areas straight ahead". You then don't realize anything's wrong until you arrive at the Animal Kingdom parking lot toll booths...

Huh...is this really true? If so, why do that do that?

It depends on the bus route. The most round-about routes happen with buses going to Downtown Disney. For better traffic flow, Disney buses can't turn left into the Marketplace bus stops, so they *have* to approach from the north. So while a Guest can just drive down Buena Vista Blvd and turn left into the Downtown Disney lots wherever they want, Disney buses have to loop up and around past Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, so that they can make a right-hand turn into the Marketplace.

The other routes that seem to take a while are many of the routes leaving the Magic Kingdom. Unless you're at OKW, SS or the Port Orleans resorts, buses leaving the MK bus stops have to drive down World Drive, turn right onto Seven Seas and go past the Poly, and then left onto Floridian Way (which merges onto/becomes World Drive Southbound). Meanwhile, Guests exiting from the TTC parking lot merge directly onto World Drive.

-Rob

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

It depends on the bus route. The most round-about routes happen with buses going to Downtown Disney. For better traffic flow, Disney buses can't turn left into the Marketplace bus stops, so they *have* to approach from the north. So while a Guest can just drive down Buena Vista Blvd and turn left into the Downtown Disney lots wherever they want, Disney buses have to loop up and around past Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, so that they can make a right-hand turn into the Marketplace.

The other routes that seem to take a while are many of the routes leaving the Magic Kingdom. Unless you're at OKW, SS or the Port Orleans resorts, buses leaving the MK bus stops have to drive down World Drive, turn right onto Seven Seas and go past the Poly, and then left onto Floridian Way (which merges onto/becomes World Drive Southbound). Meanwhile, Guests exiting from the TTC parking lot merge directly onto World Drive.

-Rob
Ooooh hmm ok, thanks for clarifying!

Upvote 0

KingStefan

We nearly always have a car for one reason or another, not because we think it is essential, but there has been in the recent past always some reason.

We use Disney Transportation a lot, though. But for resort-to-resort trips, especially late at night, it is a HUGE advantage, unless you don't mind springing for a taxi once in a while. Also it's a lot better for going to the water parks and downtown.

And of course for supplies, you can save a ton of money shopping just off-site rather than the hotel shops.

Somebody mentioned Goodings. That's fine; they have good stuff, but they are a bit pricey. There is a Publix right on US192, near Old Town, and that would be convenient for you from the Pop. I think (according to Google maps, which is not always entirely reliable) there's another just off I-drive near the Orlando Outlets.

When we go off property, we like to cruise 535 between the Crossroads and World Center Drive, and usually end up stopping at the Wallgreen's about halfway between them on the Southbound side for supplies. I think there was a Cici's on that strip, too, but I can't find it on the map now. That's a great stop for a cheap meal for a change. There was a small market right next to Cici's that we'd stop at sometimes.

There is also a small strip mall with a CVS and 7-Eleven and some other shops on World Center Drive where it crosses 535 on the SE corner.

So there are a lot of options.

Upvote 0

2Siamese

In all honesty, if you are going to be renting a car while your there pay the extra and get a GPS unit and if its your own car then invest in a GPS unit. Either way the monetary outlay is minimal (we rented a car and got the GPS and it was the best thing we could have done) and they are very easy to use.:animwink:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

How are you at driving and directions outside of your hometown? I have a friend who is just plain directionally challenged. If you are like that, then let Disney do the driving. We almost always drive to WDW, however, we rarely use the van. For the occasional trip off property they are great to have. I think the bus transportation tends to get a bad rap. I'd definately take the bus to Magic Kingdom. The other parks, its more of your feeling. My husband drives all day for work, so the last thing he wants to do is drive more when we get to WDW.

Upvote 0

GatorGambit

I always take a car, and I always use it. If you are renting a car for about 4-5 days, it is possible to rent one for around the same price (give or take $30) as DME or taking a taxi/shuttle. If you're staying on property, parking at the parks is free. (For more on renting a car, see this link: http://www.disonadime.com/?p=67)

I find the signs around property to be fairly decent at getting you from point A to point B. I especially think it's handy to pick up the overall property map from Guest Relations or your resort front desk - it is a great reference and easy to read. I've found TomTom GPS systems to be unreliable on property - I entered a route from POFQ to DTD and it tried to get me there via MK for some weird reason. Not sure about other manufacturers.

From a time perspective I think the Unofficial Guide lists MK as the only park where it is generally faster to take a bus than to drive. That of course is dependent on traffic, your resort, the number of stops you need to make, and how fast folks board the bus. I also believe DAK allows buses into the parking area earlier than cars, so that could be something to consider.

One thing is for certain, at the end of a long day we prefer hopping in our car and going directly to the resort passing tens of buses along the way instead of sitting around waiting for buses, finding a seat on a packed bus, waiting through bus stops, and finally getting to your hotel.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom