First time at CSR, review

Pete C

Took my wife to CSR this weekend for her birthday. We live just north of downtown Orlando, but I had some Disney points saved up and we decided to take a weekend away from the house. The room ended up being $240 per night after tax for Easter weekend. My impressions of CSR are mixed. The usual complaints...spread out, not family friendly, etc, do not pertain to us. We don't mind walking at all, and since we were in Casitas 3 we were not far at all from the main building. The best thing about CSR is the grounds. Beautiful to walk around and look at the colorful buildings and flowers. I saw some nice hammocks that would also be really nice to relax on day or night. The pool area is fantastic, but we did not even take advatage of it because we were busy at the parks. However, if you are with family and staying for few days, the pool at CSR should be a plus.

The main building is very nice as well, with a sparkling lobby, nice shop, a swanky lounge (which would be fun if people actually went there...maybe they do but it is prob more for convention functions), a nicely themed food court called the Pepper Market, and their expensive restaurant Maya Grill, which we didn't try. The food at the Pepper Market was okay, having good fajitas, decent freshly-made pizza, and okay chinese. Very expensive for what you get IMO.

Next, the bus system. No complaints here...they were arriving fast and furious for every park. Based on some complains of other resorts, I can't see anyone complaining about the bus system at CSR.

Overall, if only rating the resort on these things, I would totally stay there again, but now on to my main complaint...the room. We had a standard room, but let me tell you this: I have stayed at around probably 30 different Hampton Inns over the years being an HHonors member, and I can't think of a single one that did not have a better room than CSR. Hampton Inns are the low end of the Hilton chain, but CSR is not even on that level. Dark, dreary decor, ugly colors...where are those fun colors from outside on the buildings? Maybe they do this to hide dirt, I don't know. The run-down Mexican furniture motif didn't do it for me. Why don't they just go full-stop on the theme and have no air conditioning? I am exaggerating a bit here of course, but compared to other hotels I have stayed at for WELL under $240 a night, this did not compare. The bathroom is very small, has a smallish shower, and the shower head was making a tea kettle-like like screaming sound whenever in use (I'm sure most don't do that but who knows). The tile colors on the bathroom walls just looked dated...not like a newer resort should look. I like a nice, bright white bathroom that feels fresh and clean. Just not impressed...not impressed at all for this price. I don't even think I would bother with any moderate resort again if the rooms are like this. On the plus side, the beds were nice...very nice queen beds and comfortable. However, they dropped the ball on the pillows. What the heck are these things? 3 small pillows on a queen bed? Where are the standard queen-sized pillows?

Anyway, even though the rooms were average at best, CSR has a lot going for it in other ways. I have a feeling that Port Orleans gets the higher marks because the rooms are better...at least I hope.

Dwarful

I agree with many aspects of your post. We stayed there over Christmas back in 2006. I think the price point for this particular resort is off. We actually had more drawer space at the value resort. The rooms didn't seem much larger than the values. The pool was nice for the kids except for 2 things: 1-long, long walk from many areas, 2-when we were there the water slide was closed sporadically- no notice until you actually walked all the way there.

We decided it would be our last choice of an onsite resort stay again.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

Did you have one of the newly remodeled rooms or one of the old rooms?

I like the way the new rooms turned out. They are half way done with the rehab.

wgvj9i.jpg

dm46iv.jpg

xf85kz.jpg

2s84m0o.jpg

nn18gh.jpg

iqacnk.jpg

5bo5ls.jpg

Upvote 0

Pete C

Original Poster
Did you have one of the newly remodeled rooms or one of the old rooms?

I like the way the new rooms turned out. They are half way done with the rehab.

5bo5ls.jpg

Renovated....it had the queen beds, which were nice. I looked at some pics online and the rooms don't look as dark. Either way, it didn't have any sort of wow factor. I at least like to walk into a hotel room and say...ahh, nice. It was more like, oh, okay this will do.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

Renovated....it had the queen beds, which were nice. I looked at some pics online and the rooms don't look as dark. Either way, it didn't have any sort of wow factor. I at least like to walk into a hotel room and say...ahh, nice. It was more like, oh, okay this will do.
Yes, all the rooms have queen beds now but only half have been renovated with new furniture, rugs, paint and more.

Here is a list of the buildings that are completed.

All the cabana buildings and the 4th floors in casita 1, 2 & 3 are done. Rancho 6A and 6B are now completed. The renovation team is working on Casita 4 now.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well the new decor does seem an improvement. Getting rid of that flimsy curtain between the bathroom / sink area seems a big improvement. Is there any type of table & chairs or is it just the footstools?

Upvote 0

Pete C

Original Poster
Oh wow, just looked at the pics. I assumed ours was a renovated room but it definitely was NOT. Much nicer, more modern colors. I was thinking every time I was in the shower that it was in dire need of a curved shower curtain rod. If I had this room I would have been much happier!

Upvote 0

sbkline

Did I understand someone to say that ALL the rooms at this resort now have queen beds? I was thinking i may have to inquire about getting a queen bed room, but that would be great if it is standard in all rooms.

We're scheduled to check in a year from next week. Is this refurb expected to be complete by this time next year, or should I plan on specifically requesting a renovated room?

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

Did I understand someone to say that ALL the rooms at this resort now have queen beds? I was thinking i may have to inquire about getting a queen bed room, but that would be great if it is standard in all rooms.

We're scheduled to check in a year from next week. Is this refurb expected to be complete by this time next year, or should I plan on specifically requesting a renovated room?
The only section where you could get 2 doubles beds would be in the casitas. The cabanas and ranchos all have queen or king beds. The few that don't in the casita section will be converted to king rooms once the building closes for renovations. By 10/2009, all room will either have king or queen beds.

Upvote 0

sbkline

The only section where you could get 2 doubles beds would be in the casitas. The cabanas and ranchos all have queen or king beds. The few that don't in the casita section will be converted to king rooms once the building closes for renovations. By 10/2009, all room will either have king or queen beds.

Cool, I'm getting more and more excited about the prospect of staying at this resort!

Upvote 0

SchultzFamily

Took my wife to CSR this weekend for her birthday. We live just north of downtown Orlando, but I had some Disney points saved up and we decided to take a weekend away from the house. The room ended up being $240 per night after tax for Easter weekend. My impressions of CSR are mixed. The usual complaints...spread out, not family friendly, etc, do not pertain to us. We don't mind walking at all, and since we were in Casitas 3 we were not far at all from the main building. The best thing about CSR is the grounds. Beautiful to walk around and look at the colorful buildings and flowers. I saw some nice hammocks that would also be really nice to relax on day or night. The pool area is fantastic, but we did not even take advatage of it because we were busy at the parks. However, if you are with family and staying for few days, the pool at CSR should be a plus.

The main building is very nice as well, with a sparkling lobby, nice shop, a swanky lounge (which would be fun if people actually went there...maybe they do but it is prob more for convention functions), a nicely themed food court called the Pepper Market, and their expensive restaurant Maya Grill, which we didn't try. The food at the Pepper Market was okay, having good fajitas, decent freshly-made pizza, and okay chinese. Very expensive for what you get IMO.

Next, the bus system. No complaints here...they were arriving fast and furious for every park. Based on some complains of other resorts, I can't see anyone complaining about the bus system at CSR.

Overall, if only rating the resort on these things, I would totally stay there again, but now on to my main complaint...the room. We had a standard room, but let me tell you this: I have stayed at around probably 30 different Hampton Inns over the years being an HHonors member, and I can't think of a single one that did not have a better room than CSR. Hampton Inns are the low end of the Hilton chain, but CSR is not even on that level. Dark, dreary decor, ugly colors...where are those fun colors from outside on the buildings? Maybe they do this to hide dirt, I don't know. The run-down Mexican furniture motif didn't do it for me. Why don't they just go full-stop on the theme and have no air conditioning? I am exaggerating a bit here of course, but compared to other hotels I have stayed at for WELL under $240 a night, this did not compare. The bathroom is very small, has a smallish shower, and the shower head was making a tea kettle-like like screaming sound whenever in use (I'm sure most don't do that but who knows). The tile colors on the bathroom walls just looked dated...not like a newer resort should look. I like a nice, bright white bathroom that feels fresh and clean. Just not impressed...not impressed at all for this price. I don't even think I would bother with any moderate resort again if the rooms are like this. On the plus side, the beds were nice...very nice queen beds and comfortable. However, they dropped the ball on the pillows. What the heck are these things? 3 small pillows on a queen bed? Where are the standard queen-sized pillows?

Anyway, even though the rooms were average at best, CSR has a lot going for it in other ways. I have a feeling that Port Orleans gets the higher marks because the rooms are better...at least I hope.

I'm glad you liked the resort itself--it truly is beautiful. I'm sorry you did not get a new room. I think perhaps you would have had a different view of the entire experience if you would have had one of the newly rehabbed rooms with furniture etc.

We love the CSR and have stayed seven times and are planning stay number eight. We were never fond of the furnishings...but we LOVE the new stuff.

Upvote 0

Skinr

We have a group of three families traveling during Christmas. There are a total of 7 adults, 3 teenagers, and 2 girls. We are excited to try Coronado Springs for the first time. I figured this resort would have a little bit for everyone. :lol:

Upvote 0

sbkline

Whenever we've stayed at POR, we requested Magnolia Bend, and the request was noted, but we were told that it can't be guaranteed. But each time, we ended up getting Magnolia Bend.

Is it the same way with Coronado Springs? With the Casitas, Ranchos and Cabanas, if you request a specific one, do they tell you that they can't guarantee it? Or when you check in, do they ask you which one you want, or do they just assign it randomly?

Part of me wants to try to pick which one to try, but the other part of me just wants to show up at check in and see which one I get and let it be a surprise.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom