First Memory of Disney

monkeysammich

Original Poster
I just thought I'd like to pass the time waiting for my next trip by reading and sharing first memories of past trips to disney.

My first memory...

It was my first trip to the Magic Kingdom and I want to say I was around 4 years old. It was my Mom, my Step-Dad, my Grandma and my 5 year old brother. (that I recall) We started by heading over to Space Mountain. I was deathly afraid of it, just from what people were saying I was screaming not wanting to go on... it was fast moving, in the dark and it made a horrible noise as the coasters were cycling. Just not for me. My brother, on the other hand, was quite excited wanted to show how much braver he was than I. Well, we come off the ride and I'm grinning from ear to ear begging to go back on... and he's turning green saying he's never going on a ride again.

Shortly after that we all went to pick out a souvineer from grandma. I picked out a set of goofy ears... a big green top hat with ears that hang down. And then I fell asleep under the watchful eye of grandma while mom and dad took off to have some "them" time (which I now appreciate much more being a parent). When I woke up... my ears were gone. Someone had taken them off of the head of a sleeping 4 year old while my grandma wasnt looking.

Yes my first true memory of disney is me getting something stolen. Oh well.

I still love the place, despite losing my first set of "Ears". :D

ThinkTink721

When I was 7 yrs. old - walking through Cinderella's castle looking at the wall mosaic & wondering what was inside. It seemed so much larger then!
:wave:

fraumaus

I was 4 on my first Disney trip. I remember waiting for what seemed like a long time (it probably was a long time) for the Jungle Cruise. Every time we would come to the end of a turnstile, we would turn around and I would see the queue going down the other way, and I thought we'd never (!) get there.

I remember how awesome the old-school balloons were. Just a plain set of iconic Mickey ears, in every color under the rainbow. I think I got a red one.

Finally, I remember going into dinner, laying down in the booth for a moment...so cool and relaxing...and not waking up till the next morning in bed!

lilfritzy

When I was About 3 or 4 we stayed in a KOA campgroung in Anaheim. Now the campgrounds there are essentially a paved parking lot for rv's.There was a tall cinder block wall allong the back that sloped down on the back of it with a chain link fence that ran up from the slope so no one could crawl down into the back lot of DL.Every afternoon my uncles would take me back there and lift me up and seat me on that wall and we would watch the CM's getting ready for the parade. So I got to watch the parade head out on to main st.

pixel-dust

My first visit was in February 1972, We were in Florida visiting my grandparents for winter break. My grandfather herded us out to the car and told us he was taking us fishing. After a drive that lasted forever, we rolled up to Disney. It was a rainy day. I remember Jungle Cruise, and the Tiki Room. And the Florida Orange bird. I still have the cup from that somewhere. I dont remember anything from fantasy land or tomorrow land.

I would give anything to remember more of the trip, not because of Disney but to see the face of my grandfather being a kid again!

My first trip was when I was 3. I remember getting a Donald hat that squeaked & the first ride I remember ever riding was Dumbo. It was so neat seeing my daughter ride it for the first time last year and remembering how I felt as a little girl, same age as she is now.

LoriMistress

My first Disney memory was when I was around one years old, and my mom took me to see Snow White in the movie theaters. My first Disney trip memory was when I was probably 1-2 at DLR, wearing my Mickey Mouse jumper, in a Disney stroller. I was playing with my mom's keys, and we were resting at the hub. I knew where I was. Looking at the castle, I was so excited to just be there.

EPCOT Explorer

Liar!:lookaroun

You are just being a fanboi!!
Not at all. We went to EPCOT first. I don't remember the narration (from that experience-I know it now...), but I do remember my Dad telling me who he was and we have video of me trying to sing along to Tomorrow's Child.:lol:

We went to MK later that day....had park hoppers then.:wave:

rock_doctor

Mine is kinda gross...I remember being hosed down by my mom because i was sick and had..."relived" my lunch... I guess i was like 2 or 3. I remember looking up at the hose so i was only like two feet tall. Fort Wilderness....the early years. :rolleyes:

My next one is better. I remember sleeping in a tent and being woken up by the steam whistle on the Fort Wilderness train and the air horns on the launches. Still to this day love to hear those horns. It is amazing how a simple sound can bring back those memories. :) Still have 80 days before we go back to Disney... Just can't wait.

Courtney1188

I was about 7 (and a bit of a wimp) for my first Disney trip, and we arrived at Port Orleans in the middle of the night. Secretly, I was terrified of the 'dragon' slide at the pool that I had seen in the Disney video, and I was hoping to not see it.

I also have a very vivid memory of my favorite souvenir from that trip. It was a small glass ballerina figurine that I got somewhere in the Magic Kingdom.

Oh, and to a 7-year-old, the castle cake was the coolest thing ever!

wdwwdeagle

1973. I was 4, WDW was 2. I remember seeing Winnie the Pooh. At that time, I think, the characters just walked around the park. You didn't have to go find them at a certain spot like you do now, and instead of lines, people just kind of bunched around them.

I LOVED Pooh and I wanted so much to go up and see him, but I was star-struck, and intimidated by the crowd gathering around to get photos. My mother finally coaxed me into going up to him and I just walked up and put my hands on both of his cheeks, just on either side of his mouth. I have a photo of it, but I need to scan it in. If I get that done, I'll post it.

One other memory is of running b/t Tomorrowland and Fantasyland w/my sister to ride SM and Mr. Toad's over and over again (I think this was a couple years later), and we had to keep trading with my mom and dad for 'E' tickets because we had used up all of ours.

Finally, I had forgotten until reading this thread, but I had a donald duck hat with the squeaking bill, also. It was awesome! I wish I still had it. Thanks for the fun thread, and good memories....

monkeysammich

Original Poster
Sounds like we have some great stories kickin' around.

I also remember being so afraid of the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion that I had to plug my ears and squeeze my eyes shut until my mom grabbed my hand and led me to the cart.

Wow, I was a big chicken when I was 4 years old. :zipit:

Matt and Kelly

I don't really remember much from my first trip to WDW. My parents took my brother and I when we were younger, like Grade 3 or 4, and I cannot recall anything of the park or the characters, but I do remember Typhoon Lagoon.

For some reason, the only memories I have from that trip are from the wave pool and floating around the creek surrounding the waterpark.

It would be great to have some recollection of the park itself, but I've had many great memories since that trip to make up for it.

dznygirl64

December 1971 I was in first grade we went down for christmas break.I remember walking down mainstreet and the construction workers still working on brick work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom