First impressions of the Dream

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Ok, I finally had some time to get all my pictures uploaded and so I thought I'd just share some of my thoughts on the Dream. BTW, I was on the cruise immediately prior to the one that stopped twice at Castaway Cay. SOOOOOOOOOOO mad about that!! :mad:

Obviously, the ship is beautiful as it still has that new ship smell. Our room was beautiful. We booked an inside stateroom so that we could experience the virtual porthole, which was pretty cool. We were in stateroom 10545, which was hard to find when we boarded, b/c it's in a hallway between the starboard and port corridors. I actually had to ask a room steward to get us to our room.

Two drawbacks to our room. First, we didn't have the split bathroom. We've been so spoiled with the split bathroom in the past that NOT having it was a real adjustment. Not horrible, just an adjustment. Second, we could hear some kind of ship noise VERY loudly at all times of the day and night. It kept us awake at night, to be honest. It was BOOM, BOOM, Boom, Boom, Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. . . There were times when it would start every 2 or 3 minutes; and other times where we didn't notice it for a couple hours. We mentioned it to our room steward after the second night, who said that he was report it, but nothing came of it.

Other than that, however, everything was extraordinary, IMHO. Cabana's is definitely a step up from Topsider's. The only thing I didn't like about Cabana's is that there are no lines. People just wander between the counters trying to decide what to choose. I loved the new Animator's Palette. The interaction with Crush was a hoot. My brother-in-law has a beard and Crush asked him why he had sea moss on his face. From that moment on, our assistant server (Alex, who was WONDERFUL) called him Sea Moss for the remainder of the cruise. I also thought the other two restaurants were very nice. I really liked the Garden, and the Royal Palace was nice; but Animator's was the best for me.

And while we're talking about dining, would anyone care to venture a guess as to who else was sitting in our Server's section? Anyone? Well, on one side, we had Alfred and Seymour, who do a "high energy" comedy act onboard. We got to talk to them a little, and they seemed pretty nice. And on the other side (drum roll, please. . . seriously, do a little drum roll on your desk, it's totally worth it.) On the other side was Karl Holz, President of Disney Cruise Line, and his family! I kid you not. Our server, Kendell, was picked specifically to wait on the Holz family, and we had also requested Kendell when we first booked the cruise a year ago. I also got to speak briefly with Mr. Holz, but didn't have the nerve to ask for a picture.

I did the Art of the Cruise Ship walking tour, which was really good. We walked through Palo and Remy, which are both GORGEOUS. I also really liked The District, especially the 687 lounge and the Skyline lounge. We played video games that don't require a handheld controller in 687 and had a great time with that.

Quiet Cove was great, even though I think the pool is substantially smaller than the pool on the "classic ships", as they call the Magic and Wonder now. I loved the hot tub with the glass bottom so you can look down into the ocean.

I was very surprised at how "uncrowded" the ship felt, even with all the extra passengers aboard. The only place that felt packed ALL the time was the quick serve food service on Deck 11 (pizza, chicken fingers, etc.) That was always a mob scene, no matter when you walked through.

Ok, that's enough for now. We can talk about the shows and the shopping later. For now, here's a picture of my stateroom with the virtual porthole turned on. (You want me to post all my pictures here, or do it gradually in the DCL picture of the day thread?)

DSCN0511.jpg

Disneyfalcon

All of them! All of them!! Like a trip report! Love it!

That's so cool you were sitting next to Karl Holz!! And your servers must have been awesome if they were picked for him.

Love the virtual porthole. I was so impressed with them in person.

I agree Cabanas was great. The whole line thing is hard for us Americans though. It's like the pirate buffet. They always tried to get you to ignore the line, but it didn't work! If you passed people they gave you dirty looks!:lol:

Sorry you missed the double dip though.:cry:

Repoet

Love the report of your cruise and looking forward to all the pictures! The tour of the" Art of the Cruise Ship" sounds good--do you book it when you get on board?

ChuckElias

Original Poster
That's so cool you were sitting next to Karl Holz!! And your servers must have been awesome if they were picked for him.
Kendell is absolutely fantastic. We first met Kendell in 2007 on our Med Cruise. He was an asst. server at the time and took better care of us than our primary server. When the adults in our group went to Palo, it was Kendell who made sure the kids were properly served. Kendell learned their names (our primary server didn't address my daughter by name until the 4th night of the cruise. :mad: ) and treated them the way we've come to expect from DCL dining staff. When we told him how impressed we were with his level of service, we asked if he was going to become a main server and he said no, it was too much work and less time with the guests.

Come to find out when we arrived last week, not only had Kendell become a main server, but he had just recently (within the last few months) been promoted to Head Server of the dining room! But when the Pres. of the company asks for your service, you do it. So he left the Head Server responsibilities for just our cruise and served our section of the dining room. Is that amazing, or what?

Ohh...I do love photos. I love your virtual porthole. Were you able to turn it off at night?
Yes, absolutely. There's a switch next to the bed, right next to the light switch. Having it on at night was a little like a night light, because there's like a "TV" glow, but it's still dark outside. But the room actually has a night light over the sitting area, so we didn't need the porthole for that.

Love the report of your cruise and looking forward to all the pictures! The tour of the" Art of the Cruise Ship" sounds good--do you book it when you get on board?
No need to book it. It will be listed in the Personal Navigator. You just go to the meeting place (Meridian lounge, between Palo and Remy), and meet the guide. There were only about 6 of us on my tour. It's an hour and talks about various design features of the ship. (The carpets, the engravings in the lobby, the themes in the various lounges, etc. Trivia question: Why does the "687 Lounge" have that name?)

This tour was not as detailed as the one I did on the Magic years ago, but it was still informative and worth the time.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
All of them! All of them!!
Ok !! Ok!!! :) Here's the first batch.

I'm sure everyone on board has taken this picture. It's from the entrance to the Royal Palace restaurant.

DSCN0539.jpg

These are from the inside of the restaurant. I couldn't get the artwork of Belle and Cindy because the people sitting at the tables right in front of them were still eating. (Some people have no consideration!!)

DSCN0535.jpg

DSCN0534.jpg

And here is Kendell and our assistant server, Alex. My wife and daughter are seated.

DSCN0533.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Kendell is absolutely fantastic. We first met Kendell in 2007 on our Med Cruise. He was an asst. server at the time and took better care of us than our primary server. When the adults in our group went to Palo, it was Kendell who made sure the kids were properly served. Kendell learned their names (our primary server didn't address my daughter by name until the 4th night of the cruise. :mad: ) and treated them the way we've come to expect from DCL dining staff. When we told him how impressed we were with his level of service, we asked if he was going to become a main server and he said no, it was too much work and less time with the guests.

Come to find out when we arrived last week, not only had Kendell become a main server, but he had just recently (within the last few months) been promoted to Head Server of the dining room! But when the Pres. of the company asks for your service, you do it. So he left the Head Server responsibilities for just our cruise and served our section of the dining room. Is that amazing, or what?

That is amazing! How neat!!

Love the pictures! Keep them coming!

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Here are a couple more pictures of the atrium. Admiral Donald:

DSCN0523.jpg

My Queen, next to one of the gorgeous mosaics:

DSCN0401.jpg

The a cappella group Skyline, singing for folks as they arrive for dinner:

DSCN0525.jpg

Here's a link to a video that I shot of Skyline. I couldn't figure out how to embed it: http://youtu.be/9uk1Re0-0hs

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Ok, next batch.

My princess in front of the royal mosaic:

DSCN0400.jpg

Part of the "Bathroom Experience" in The District :) :

DSCN0519.jpg

Artwork in the stairwells:

DSCN0515.jpg

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Another batch of pictures from the Dream.

DSCN0509.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

This is one of the seats in the Meridian Lounge (located between Palo and Remy). The cushions look like luggage and the walls are decorated with passport stamps. Pretty cool lounge area.

DSCN0431.jpg

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Today's batch from the Dream.

A terrible picture of the Mickey statue in the Enchanted Garden:

DSCN0450.jpg

Another picture from the Meridian Lounge, because I like the map of Europe and Africa that is stenciled on the door:

DSCN0430.jpg

Me, outside Cabanas

DSCN0427.jpg

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Today's batch from the Dream:

This was a really interesting sitting area outside The District. I don't know if it was originally intended to be a smoking area or just a quiet reading area, but it's pretty cool. The floor slopes in places, and the walls are obviously curvy. It just makes for a very interesting little outdoor space.

DSCN0422.jpg

Very fuzzy, but it's Rapunzel and Flynn in the boat:

DSCN0411.jpg

Best show on any of the ships :)

DSCN0403.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom