fireworks get rained out?

k.hunter30

Does this happen? Our family and I are going on the Magical Fireworks Voyage Monday night to see Wishes from the water. I know it never seems to rain for very long in Orlando; but how often does a show like Wishes get canceled due to rain?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The main issue that could affect firework shows is the actual initial loading of the fireworks into the launch tubes during the daytime. If the weather is so bad that the show cant be loaded, it wont run. It's my understanding from talking to IllumiNations crews, that as long as the show is loaded, it will run, regardless of the weather (expect of course real extreme weather hitting during the show). Illuminations had a record of something like 15 years of uninterrupted shows, all the way through until the wild fires cancelled shows.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
PS. have a great time on the cruise! It's a great view from the water, you will love it! and dont worry about the weather, you'll be fine!

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
PS. have a great time on the cruise! It's a great view from the water, you will love it! and dont worry about the weather, you'll be fine!

:wave: I will be referring back to this post in the future. :animwink:

Upvote 0

MickeyTigg

The main issue that could affect firework shows is the actual initial loading of the fireworks into the launch tubes during the daytime. If the weather is so bad that the show cant be loaded, it wont run. It's my understanding from talking to IllumiNations crews, that as long as the show is loaded, it will run, regardless of the weather (expect of course real extreme weather hitting during the show). Illuminations had a record of something like 15 years of uninterrupted shows, all the way through until the wild fires cancelled shows.

Keep in mind though that if it's raining, or there are low lying cloud, even though the show may be performed, the viewing of the fireworks will be very poor. I've seen a couple of shows after storms where the fireworks exploded inside the clouds...not a good show at all.

Upvote 0

Gorjus

Once loaded, the fireworks have to go off. That is why occasionally, if for whatever reason a Dream Along With Mickey Castle show performance is canceled or aborted mid show, you will see them immediately set off the fireworks. If it looks like it might rain all day and all night, sometimes they will cancel a show before loading the fireworks. But even if they have loaded the fireworks for a second Fantasmic show and then decide to cancel it, they will explode the shells.

Some of this I got from a manager who used to work in pyrotechincs and some from experience seeing some performances of the Castle Show aborted or canceled all together.

Upvote 0

gotribe07

This is kind of off topic... but does anyone else find it absolutely AMAZING that Illuminations had a 15 year streak?

I mean, the weather in WDW is unpredictable to say the least (especially in the summer months) and I just think its so awesome that their belief is that "the show must go on."

It truly shows that Disney still has MANY of the same phiosophies that Walt instilled in the company. The main one: "every day is a new day and our guests should receive the same experience as those the day before." And how true is that? There really is not such thing as a "let down" in the WDW parks... you get what you pay for and soooooooo much more.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This is kind of off topic... but does anyone else find it absolutely AMAZING that Illuminations had a 15 year streak?

I mean, the weather in WDW is unpredictable to say the least (especially in the summer months) and I just think its so awesome that their belief is that "the show must go on."

It truly shows that Disney still has MANY of the same phiosophies that Walt instilled in the company. The main one: "every day is a new day and our guests should receive the same experience as those the day before." And how true is that? There really is not such thing as a "let down" in the WDW parks... you get what you pay for and soooooooo much more.

Yeah it was one heck of an achievement. They were very proud of it too. With IllumiNations, the only 2 things that would prevent a show were: 1. not being able to load the pyro, and 2. not being able to secure the barges down in the lagoon due to winds etc.
Even during the wild fire pyro ban, the Illum crew reworked the show to run without pyro, and carried on with just the music, fountains and lasers.

The nightly performances of all the WDW firework shows is really a great achievement. Great job Disney and all the cast who work on the shows. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

WDW Monorail

Just a quick question. Sometimes, due to wind speeds or guest safety conditions, RoE's seawall devices do not launch during the show. Since these are loaded long before the show begins, when do they actually launch these if their time code is deleted?

Upvote 0

AEfx

The only show that gets cancelled even infreuqently is Fantasmic! because of the performers involved, although now they at least blow off the fireworks instead of sending everyone out without seeing anything.

AEfx

Upvote 0

Gorjus

I'll never forget the day that it just started absolutely pouring during Dreams Come True Parade. It hadn't started pouring when they started the parade. The performers hung in there great. The floats seemed to be moving ever so slightly faster and finally the broomsticks had to give up and get off stage early. It was the funniest sight. They took them off the parade route around the bridge at the end of Main St and walked them by Casey's and off stage by the Crystal Palace. There was a line of broomsticks d__________g (ok, try docking with a u replacing the o) under overhangs and such and moving along till they were off stage. The rest of the parade continued. And of course there are the guests who don't understand why the Spectro Magic parade can't run during a rain & lighting storm.

Upvote 0

tigger1968

We were waiting for Fantasmic one night when it began to rain about 10 minutes before the show. No lightning or thunder just rain, so the show went off as planned. I know WE were soaked, even with the rain gear we had with us, so I would have hated to be one of the CMs in the show that night. We did find something sort of odd about sitting there in a pouring rain, watching water effects though.....:lol:

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I've seen Fantasmic get cancelled a few times because of weather. However, I assume that is because they have live performers whose safety they need to be concerned with.

Upvote 0

monorailguy01

Firework shows do go on in the rain. I saw ROE and Fantasmic in the rain ( not so much fun ) bring a poncho or something to keep you dry if you think its going to rain.

Upvote 0

joanna71985

I'll never forget the day that it just started absolutely pouring during Dreams Come True Parade. It hadn't started pouring when they started the parade. The performers hung in there great. The floats seemed to be moving ever so slightly faster and finally the broomsticks had to give up and get off stage early. It was the funniest sight. They took them off the parade route around the bridge at the end of Main St and walked them by Casey's and off stage by the Crystal Palace. There was a line of broomsticks d__________g (ok, try docking with a u replacing the o) under overhangs and such and moving along till they were off stage. The rest of the parade continued. And of course there are the guests who don't understand why the Spectro Magic parade can't run during a rain & lighting storm.

:lol: Awwww, the poor brooms! They can perform Fantasmic in the rain. However, it depends on how heavy it is.

Upvote 0

Bratstarman

I know for a fact that this is not true. About 10 years ago I was in EPCOT on a very rainy evening, and Illuminations was cancelled.

Upvote 0

WDW Monorail

I know for a fact that this is not true. About 10 years ago I was in EPCOT on a very rainy evening, and Illuminations was cancelled.

Then the show must not have been loaded. As a precaution, the show must go on even during the rain if it is loaded.
I'm sure that boo can confirm this atleast for Wishes.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom