Fingerprinting going away at gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneySaint

we usually get 7-10 non expiring tickets when we go and sometimes get 2 trips out of them, but i dont understand why you couldnt sell/give away your tickets if they had a day left on them and you were going home. its not fraud to sell anything else used, like a car so what makes the difference about a ticket. and why would disney care, the days were paid for, it isnt like someone would be getting in for free. guess its fraud cause disney says so?

It's a business, people. It's not fantasyland. Why allow people to internally sell tickets when you can make them buy whole new one's?
(e.g. Allow the guest to sell a remaining day on his 7-day ticket and that day is valued at about $2. That guest will now sell that 1-day ticket for about $60 on E-Bay. OR, make tickets non-transferable and allow the new guest to buy a 1-day ticket at the gate for $70. So, instead of making nothing, Disney has now made $70 more.)

And if you don't buy that argument, think about it from a customer service standpoint: Guest buys tickets on E-Bay and goes to the parks with his family for a much-anticipated vacation only to find out the tickets are completely used up. Now Disney's Guest Relations gets the guest and what is Disney supposed to do? Tell the guy tough luck? That's exactly what they are going to say and now either (A) the guest buys new tickets and is angry the entire duration of his trip causing him to have a miserable time or (B) he aborts the entire vacation and creates terrible memories for everyone.

Tickets being non-transferable makes 100% sense and the Biometrics, unless you can come up with a better technology, is the best thing to enforce the non-transferable policy. I believe the headaches they cause are worth the business they generate. You guys need to stop looking at everything in fantasyland terms of lines and what a 'pain' it is to find out what ticket is yours. Why not just sign the back of the ticket to make sure you know that is your ticket and simply use the proper one when you get to the turnstiles? I have NEVER taken more than a few seconds to get through a turnstile; what holds it up are ignorant people who swap tickets around within their group, buy tickets off scammer booths in Orlando & on E-bay, and people who are just eternally confused about how to put their index finger on a piece of glass.

Sorry, folks, but any argument to the contrary will be hard for me to believe.

Edit - I want to add also that if you people seriously think it takes your fingerprint and your identity, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It would be illegal for a private company to covertly take your finger print for data purposes. It's been said 100 times but I will say it again: The biometrics (not fingerprints) converts your unique fingerprint into a numerical cypher which is then associated permanently with your ticket. With that all said, Disney already knows everything about you it wants to. They have your name and/or phone number and/or address and/or number of times visited and where and/or 100 other pieces of identifying material. If you've stayed in a Disney resort, wrote a letter, made a priority seating, went into Guest Relations, telephoned anywhere in Disney from a personal number, etc. ... they know who you are. If you've ever so much as paid with a credit card, they know you've been to the property. The only way they could not know is if you've only ever used cash for every purchase, you are not staying on property, and you've never given one lick of information to anyone (such as a phone number when booking priority seating at a restaurant).

WildcatDen

on principle, I agree. Especially if we were talking about the KGB... rrrr Homeland Security,

Oh crap. So that Urine sample they requested at the gate of Epcot from my family and I back in November was not part of this "Bio-Metric" system. . . .

I am not sure why they do not honor the Second Amendment at all of the parks. Sure would make for an interesting day. :xmas:

WildcatDen

Have you ever served in the armed service if not DO NOT PREACH TO ME I gave 8 years to good OL USA and Damn PROUD OF IT I PROTECTED YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES FOR EIGHT YEARS AND CONTINUE TO DO IT TODAY .
DONT TELL ME WHAT THE US STANDS FOR !!! PICK UP A CONTRACT AND SIGN UP WITH THE ARMED SERVICES and SEE WHAT THE US MEANS before your slam others , Put your life on the line to serve your country and provide the blanket of FREEDOM YOU SO MUCH ENJOY!!!

God Bless you for your service to this country :wave:

Besides, if it is a College Civics class, you know how that is slanted. . . :hammer:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Have you ever served in the armed service if not DO NOT PREACH TO ME I gave 8 years to good OL USA and Damn PROUD OF IT I PROTECTED YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES FOR EIGHT YEARS AND CONTINUE TO DO IT TODAY .
DONT TELL ME WHAT THE US STANDS FOR !!! PICK UP A CONTRACT AND SIGN UP WITH THE ARMED SERVICES and SEE WHAT THE US MEANS before your slam others , Put your life on the line to serve your country and provide the blanket of FREEDOM YOU SO MUCH ENJOY!!!
Thank you for defending our democracy and constitution and the choices and freedoms held within.

Now how about you practice them and accept the fact that other people may have different opinions than you, opinions that are protected by a piece of paper you defended.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
How about everyone gets back to the topic at hand before the thread is closed?

WildcatDen

I know... heaven forbid people take a college class and *duhn-duhn-duhn*... better themselves!

Two degrees here. Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering. Eight years of going to school at night while working full time and raising a family. I remember all too well how slanted my non core classes were.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
How about everyone gets back to the topic at hand before the thread is closed?
agreed.

I would love it if they got rid of the fingerprinting, along with bag checks, in order to speed up park admission.

JWG

Original Poster
No, not really correct...when you buy a used car, that asset becomes yours...you are not "taking" anything from the car company that originally built it...

However, if you use someone else's ticket, you are essentially "taking" from Disney without having paid...you are using their transportation systems, riding their rides (which causes wear & tear), using the restrooms, etc...but you haven't actually paid an admission fee to cover the costs of that "extra use", which is essentially what it is...

I disagree. When you buy a car new - the seller has gotten the value they want for that item. When you buy a pass (regardless of who uses it), Disney has gotten the value they want for the pass. If the pass holder sells it to someone else why should Disney care that person A is no longer using the items but person B is? In the end, 1 person used resources slotted to that ticket even if not the same person who paid Disney for it. There is no "extra use" that I see - just transfered use (as in buying a used car).

I do also understand that Disney needs to eliminate fraud if they can. Since there is no way to verify days on a pass (or days until expiration if its been activated and you don't know that) something has to be done to protect consumers and Disney. I don't like biometrics because I think it's a hassle and I wish I didn't have to try to keep track of which ticket was mine versus my wife's, but that's me and an opinion not shared by all.

Brian Noble

The technology used cannot identify you other than matching you to a ticket...therefore, no privacy concerns.
This is correct.

There are two kinds of biometric systems. One is called identification, the other is called verification.

An identification system uses biomarkers that are unique to an individual. Thus, given only the marker, you can tell precisely who the marker belongs to from the entire set of known people. A fingerprint is an identifying biometric.

A verification system uses a biomarker that is not necessarily unique, so you can't map from only the marker to an individual. However, the chances that two different people will have the same marker are relatively low. So, if you are given a candidate identity, and a candidate biomarker, you have a high probability of being able to tell whether or not the marker belongs to that person, or not. Hair color, for example, could be used as a verifying biometric.

The scanners currently at the gates, and the two-finger version before that, are both verification schemes---they are meant to tell only if the ticket doesn't match the person holding it (with high probability). They are not identification schemes.

bluejayx

I don't like biometrics because I think it's a hassle and I wish I didn't have to try to keep track of which ticket was mine versus my wife's, but that's me and an opinion not shared by all.

Easy way to fix that hassle is to put your name on the back in the place provided.

uklad79

Easy way to fix that hassle is to put your name on the back in the place provided.

First we have fact in the thread now we have common sense. Wow this is a record for wdwmagic.

I am surprised how many people don't write their names on the tickets. Usually when you have to get duplicate tickets they print your name on the ticket. I think this should be done with all tickets when they are bought and a few routine ID checks done on high value tickets. The system could pick these out and alert the CM.
As for the finger scanners I find these no hassle but I don't have kids and I have full mental capability so it's no problem for me to use them.:lookaroun

DisneyMusician2

If they really wanted to prevent resale and keep tickets to a certain ID, they would put pictures on them.

I know buildings in NYC that issue temporary access passes that are nicer than some official forms of ID that I have received, with instant picture ID's. It could easily be done.

It would drive ticket resellers nuts, though.:D

dandaman

The TSA: Live free or else.

I couldn't care less about the fingerprint thing. Apparently every technological advancement these days will lead to a crappy Orwellian society, so why not go with the flow? :lol:

DisneyMusician2

The TSA: Live free or else.

I couldn't care less about the fingerprint thing. Apparently every technological advancement these days will lead to a crappy Orwellian society, so why not go with the flow? :lol:

I kinda agree....Take DNA on my ticket if you want, it really doesn't bother me.

CarlHS

A big reason tickets are not transferable is that the 10th day on the ticket costs less than the 1st day.

To have tickets transferable the daily price would need to be set equally. Disney won't do this because they are rewarding / encouraging you to stay for more days with the temptation of a lower price. This means they must be non-transferrable, but you get the discount as a bonus.

It works well as it is.

Bill Smugs

I find it very interesting that people are concerned about a theme park "taking finger prints" when the US government is actually and truly taking finger prints of foreign visitors.

kimmychad

I find it very interesting that people are concerned about a theme park "taking finger prints" when the US government is actually and truly taking finger prints of foreign visitors.

if they think it will stop any terrorists from getting in im all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom