finding Nemo The Musical

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this show. I thought the puppets were great and the songs were good enough, considering the original film wasn't even a musical.
I don't particularly like the 'visible puppeteer' thing, mainly when they make a point of putting the puppet behind the actor, so you don't really see the character. I honestly didn't expect the puppets to be like this, considering Disney tend to like to hide the mechanics of a ride, I thought they would want to hide the fact that the puppets aren't 'real' in a way...
The problem my family had with it was it was too long, but I don't see an awful lot that could be cut anyway.

Good, not great, but certainly not bad.

It is kind of an inconsistency with Disney to have these visible puppeteers.

That was my very first thought when it opened.

AEfx

I didn't say you should care about another thread but you can't single out one from the other when the earlier ones are worse than that one that was deleted. YOU took pride in getting that thread deleted.

Yes, I thought it was a score for good taste, and hopefully educated a few people about what is and is not appropriate on the Internet. Basically, if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, you shouldn't say it with photos and words on a website.

I can single out anything I wish. I was not a member of this site when the thread you mentioned was posted or I would have reported it just like I did yours. The fact you keep harping on a thread from 2002 before either of us joined as your only defense of what you did is really...telling, just like most of your little dance around in this thread.

Now, will you please let us get back to the topic here? Or does it really make you that upset that I think you behave improperly that we need to continue talking about it in this thread? If what you did was so noble (though on no planet in the solar system can I imagine anyone putting what you did in that category, self-delusion or not), it shouldn't bother you what I think, or that the moderators decided to delete it.

AEfx

Legacy

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this show. I thought the puppets were great and the songs were good enough, considering the original film wasn't even a musical.
I don't particularly like the 'visible puppeteer' thing, mainly when they make a point of putting the puppet behind the actor, so you don't really see the character. I honestly didn't expect the puppets to be like this, considering Disney tend to like to hide the mechanics of a ride, I thought they would want to hide the fact that the puppets aren't 'real' in a way...
The problem my family had with it was it was too long, but I don't see an awful lot that could be cut anyway.

Good, not great, but certainly not bad.

You can blame two things for having visible puppets:

The success of The Lion King on Broadway
The success of Avenue Q on Broadway

That said, they don't bother me that much. When it's live performers singing, it's better to actually see them. It would honestly bug me you COULDN'T see their faces.

AEfx

I get it with Lion King (on Broadway). I didn't like it, but I "got" it artistically. For Nemo, it made less sense because they really did create the puppets in full, they weren't meant to be "representative" of the animal, but actually look like it.

I really think the performers do an excellent job, and if I go again (I'll sit on the floor up top or stand in the back LOL) that would be why. They really are talented, I just have a hard time with the overall execution of the concept and the music itself (the center of any musical, of course, hehe).

AEfx

AEfx

The success of The Lion King on Broadway
The success of Avenue Q on Broadway

Hehe and this is also why we ended up with the Little Mermaid Broadway show the way we did.

I haven't seen it yet, which shocks me. TLM is my favorite Disney film. I was SO looking forward to it. Then I saw "Ariel" hopping around singing in that outfit on several talk shows looking like...a girl hopping around in a fake looking tail. I was so let down, I had hoped we'd see some of the tech from the TDS show or something.

I'll still see it, but I would have made a special trip down already if I wasn't so disappointed with the creative direction.

AEfx

raven

Yes, I thought it was a score for good taste, and hopefully educated a few people about what is and is not appropriate on the Internet. Basically, if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, you shouldn't say it with photos and words on a website.

Um yeah. Here's the thing...this is America. Things like that have been all over TV, magazines and the web for years. It's not going to stop no matter how hard you try. It's called entertainment.

Now will you please let us get back to the topic here? AEfx

I'm sorry. Maybe my screen is a little dirty but I could have sworn that someone keeps replying to my posts causing me to respond.

Erika

Guys, can we please stay on track in here and leave out the fighting? If you have something to discuss you can (politely) take it to PMs.

Thanks!

Legacy

Hehe and this is also why we ended up with the Little Mermaid Broadway show the way we did.

I haven't seen it yet, which shocks me. TLM is my favorite Disney film. I was SO looking forward to it. Then I saw "Ariel" hopping around singing in that outfit on several talk shows looking like...a girl hopping around in a fake looking tail. I was so let down, I had hoped we'd see some of the tech from the TDS show or something.

I'll still see it, but I would have made a special trip down already if I wasn't so disappointed with the creative direction.

AEfx

The soundtrack is great. That's at least a highlight.

But I saw Tarzan on Broadway, so I definitely wasn't expecting much from the Little Mermaid.

Hopefully the rumored Newsies comes soon.

AEfx

Which show is that?

That's interesting, I hadn't seen many images from the Little Mermaid musical, so I wondered what they would do with that.

Tokyo Disney Seas has a show with acrobats up in the air on wires, etc. I bet you can find something on it on YouTube, but I've never seen a full/HQ video (Tokyo parks are SO strict about photographs and video).

To be honest, I can't say the Broadway version is awful because I haven't seen it, but I just know it's not what I envisioned when hearing and fantasizing about it. It has gotten really mixed reviews though, but that said, I don't let reviews bother me much haha. I like a lot of things critics find "bad".

Guys, can we please stay on track in here and leave out the fighting? If you have something to discuss you can (politely) take it to PMs.

Thanks!

Be glad to Erika! Thank you! :) We could sit all day and discuss the sad state of what is mistaken for "entertainment" by a certain demographic, but you are right - this isn't the place.

The soundtrack is great. That's at least a highlight.

But I saw Tarzan on Broadway, so I definitely wasn't expecting much from the Little Mermaid.

Hopefully the rumored Newsies comes soon.

I never saw Tarzan (I haven't even seen the film ROFL) but I have to say you just sent me to Amazon because I had forgotten to pick up the soundtrack. Now I'm really looking forward to at least hearing it - unlike the Nemo musical, I love all the Mermaid songs.

Vocally the performance the actress has been giving on TV (The View, Regis and Kelly, etc.) is very good, but it's the costume that just makes me not feel like spending $100 on a ticket in addition to traveling to the city just to go see it. I'll check out the CD first I think. :)

Thanks!

AEfx

SWatsi

Tokyo Disney Seas has a show with acrobats up in the air on wires, etc. I bet you can find something on it on YouTube, but I've never seen a full/HQ video (Tokyo parks are SO strict about photographs and video).

To be honest, I can't say the Broadway version is awful because I haven't seen it, but I just know it's not what I envisioned when hearing and fantasizing about it. It has gotten really mixed reviews though, but that said, I don't let reviews bother me much haha. I like a lot of things critics find "bad".

AEfx

Thanks. I didn't realise they had a Little Mermaid show at Tokyo, so I'll definetly look that up now. I do like acrobatics and am a fan of the movie so sounds good (going to look up on YouTube right now!).

AEfx

Thanks. I didn't realise they had a Little Mermaid show at Tokyo, so I'll definetly look that up now. I do like acrobatics and am a fan of the movie so sounds good (going to look up on YouTube right now!).

Here is one to get you started. :)

I haven't looked at that since the Mermaid TV appearances lately...man, that is so much more impressive than an actress on rollerskates LOL.

AEfx

AEfx

I dunno if this thread was ever on track, lol...

Well, it has developed (with one minor setback ROFL) but has turned into an interesting discussion of Disney shows in general. Since the original posting was a bit...ambiguous in terms of content, I think it's great this thread has come so far. :)

AEfx

Legacy

Well, it has developed (with one minor setback ROFL) but has turned into an interesting discussion of Disney shows in general. Since the original posting was a bit...ambiguous in terms of content, I think it's great this thread has come so far. :)

AEfx

Although, to be honest I'm fighting the urge to sidetrack it more.

Did you enjoy Aida?

SWatsi

Here is one to get you started. :)

I haven't looked at that since the Mermaid TV appearances lately...man, that is so much more impressive than an actress on rollerskates LOL.

AEfx

Oh yes, i very much see your point. Just checked out that video and one for the broadway musical (here). And the tail does look strange.
I guess it is even more strange since we are so used to seeing her like she is in the Parks.
Sebastian and the Eels are puppets very similar to the Nemo Musical too, I found that funny thinking about the topic I found out about this show.
Looks as though it is becoming more common for Disney to use these visible puppeteers?

That reminds me I must put my videos from my last holiday up at some point (first time filming anything disney, and i went to get all of Spectro and Wishes - so can;t wait to see how i've done!!)

Thanks again mate.

AEfx

Although, to be honest I'm fighting the urge to sidetrack it more.

Did you enjoy Aida?

LOL my ex was obsessed with Aida haha. Truth be told, I never saw it. Heard the music a lot, but it doesn't do much for me.

I'm kinda picky about my musicals really. I like fast, up-tempo stuff, for the most part ballads bore me. I just run out of patience with them. I'm pretty low-brow when it comes to musicals, I kind of feel like it should be a little cheezy and not so serious, which is sort of the impression I got of Aida.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom