Finding a solution for teens who don't sleep together well...

sweetpee_1993

Hoping the parents of teens/tweens out there can lend a hand with this one...

I have 2 boys who will be 13 & 14 when we're tentatively throwing together plans for another WDW adventure. With free dining, it's just hard to pass up (considering the savings in just feeding these bottomless pits I call my sons). The past 4 trips we've stayed deluxe mostly with great room-only discounts which has been great....but given we're needing to build the savings back up after the hubby was out of work for a couple months earlier this year we're really thinking going moderate & cashing in on the free dining would be quite advantageous.

Normally our issue with the moderates is the size of those resorts. I hate a ginormous resort that's mega-spread out. For that reason, we love POFQ. The problem with POFQ is the 2 double beds. The boys have never slept well together. The older is a very serene, still sleeper while his younger brother is a crazy active sleeper who kicks and rolls and even sits up then flings himself back down in his sleep. Thank goodness he's kinda outgrown the flinging himself out of bed thing. Sleeping these 2 boys together is good for at least 2 fist fights per night. Not so restful for any of us.

So what to do? Well, been doing some research. I think I'll buy an ultra-portable c0t (folds like one of those umbrella-like lawn chairs) for the boys to take turns on. The thought of putting one of them on the floor is just :hurl:. My question is...... Do ya think the Disney Gods will totally descend upon me with the wrath of Hades if I bring in a folding c0t? I realize it will appear that I'm sneaking in a 5th person which I totally wouldn't (bad karma! plus I feel like nearly 4 adult people for 1 bathroom is already pushing the limits). I just don't wanna be spending the cashola on the c0t if I'm gonna be flogged for it...or worse yet, not allowed to use it. :mad: I can just see myself inviting CMs in to do bed-checks every night. :lookaroun:lol:

Has anyone else ever done this? How'd it work out for you? I've got this vision in my brain that since the boys are the argumentative ones then they can be responsible for set up/take down every night/morning. <--yeah...right...I know!

Ps. How stinkin' hillarious is it that the word c0t is sensored??? I had no clue those things were so naughty!!!! :lol:

wdwmomof3

I don't think they would say anything, but I am not sure. Have you thought about maybe spliting up the boys by letting one sleep with you and one with DH? That's what we do to keep my kids from killing each other. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

ddrongowski

From my days in the USAF if we wanted to stop a person from moving to much, we would duct tape them up. Cheap, efficient and afterwards you don't have to worry about sinjing any hair with fire.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I suggest an inflatable twin mattress that they can rotate on a nightly basis. Since you won't have more than 4 people, housekeeping will be happy to provide you with linens.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I don't think they would say anything, but I am not sure. Have you thought about maybe spliting up the boys by letting one sleep with you and one with DH? That's what we do to keep my kids from killing each other. :ROFLOL:

I thought of that. Problem is I have never been able to sleep worth a squat in the bed with either of my kids from the day they were born. It's weird. If one of them is next to me I sleep so light it's crazy. If they move the slightest bit I will open my eyes to look at them. Hubby can get up in the night sick or have a nosebleed and I never know unless he talks to me because I sleep like the dead. It's so odd.

I wonder if they'd bring in a roll away? I know there's probably an up charge though.

From the reading I've done and talking to a reservations CM at DTC I was thinking only certain resorts had rollaways. I don't think POFQ is one of them. I could be wrong. Even with the additional charge per night (I think they run $15/night) I would actually save $60 on a 9 night stay by buying the one I'm eyeballing on LLBean for $75 w/free shipping. We're driving down. It'll just get tossed in the car with a sleeping bag and all the other luggage.

They will and there is.

Does POFQ have rollaways??? Now I'm curious!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
From my days in the USAF if we wanted to stop a person from moving to much, we would duct tape them up. Cheap, efficient and afterwards you don't have to worry about sinjing any hair with fire.

:lol:
Oooohh...velcro pajamas could be interesting, too. LOL! Love the visual on the duct tape.

I suggest an inflatable twin mattress that they can rotate on a nightly basis. Since you won't have more than 4 people, housekeeping will be happy to provide you with linens.

I thought about those (I think we might have one somewhere around here but can't remember). My cons of doing an air mattress were: 1. My luck, the first kid would spring a leak the first 5 minutes of our first night. Seriously. This has happened to us before....2. I really would prefer something they could easily fold out then fold down very quickly & easily with minimal effort (considering they're teenage boys and totally can't organize their way out of a paper sack :lookaroun...at least not like I can which tends to result with me snatching whatever it is up and doing it myself which I knooooow is the msot self-defeating thing I can do because then they'll never learn but I'm just picky like that :hammer:).

Upvote 0

Lucky

I think POR has something like rollaways. I don't know if they would try to charge you for it. you're allowed to have more than 4 people in those rooms.

Another option is CS, which has two queen beds.

But I realize you prefer a smaller resort than CS or POR.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I think POR has something like rollaways. I don't know if they would try to charge you for it. you're allowed to have more than 4 people in those rooms.

Another option is CS, which has two queen beds.

But I realize you prefer a smaller resort than CS or POR.

I think they have mini-trundles at POR. I looked at pics of them and the got dimensions. The official site says they aren't recommended for children under 9 but my soon-to-be 13 year old is pretty skinny. But you're right...don't want those bigger resort obstacles. :wave:

I am not 100% sure that they do as I have never had to get one at any of the resorts. I would call and inquire to confirm or deny.

I think the biggest thing was the thought that as long as I'm not exceeding the occupancy requirements I'm okay. I think I read that rollaways (I can't remember which resort or where I read it) are $15/night. 9 nights x $15 = $135. The nice c0t I'm gonna order from LLBean is $75 with free shipping. That saves me $60. Even if I decide to ship the thing to myself prior to arrival and ship it back at the end of the trip, I could spend up to $30 in each direction and still have the thing for future use after the trip is done. Not such a bad deal. Thanks so very much for your expertise, sweetie! :wave:

Upvote 0

jhoff3405

Been there done all of that with having 3 boys.

Stayed at POR a few years back and the oldest (then 14) slept on the "pull out trundle bed" while the younger two were still willing to sleep in the queen. Can you say itty bitty, mini-marshmallow size bed?!

Otherwise we have not one, but two blow up mattresses that we bring. We do a lot of "hotel-ing" with hockey & soccer tournaments and our hotel room always looks like some sort of huge trampoline fest as the floor space is all covered with these 2 blow up mattresses! Even more funny is that we usually pay some sort of "upcharge" for having 5 people in a hotel room that we bring our own additional beds into!

Go for the LLBean item/blow up mattress, you won't regret it.

Upvote 0

StitchMom84

POFQ does have roll-aways. We had one last October when we were there. We only had four people in our room, but we wanted an extra bed, so once we checked in, I called and they delivered it within about half an hour of the call. There is a charge for it ( nightly ) of $15

Upvote 0

Rob562

And just a side note, if one person will be sleeping on the floor or a fold-away bed, the rooms at Caribbean Beach are larger than the other Moderates, so it might not feels as cramped.
Though I think the difference in dimensions is a couple of extra feet wider from side-to-side, it's not any deeper front-to-back.

If a bigger bed itself might help out with the sleeping-together problem, all of the double beds at Coronado Springs have been swapped out for queen beds...

-Rob

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Been there done all of that with having 3 boys.

Stayed at POR a few years back and the oldest (then 14) slept on the "pull out trundle bed" while the younger two were still willing to sleep in the queen. Can you say itty bitty, mini-marshmallow size bed?!

Otherwise we have not one, but two blow up mattresses that we bring. We do a lot of "hotel-ing" with hockey & soccer tournaments and our hotel room always looks like some sort of huge trampoline fest as the floor space is all covered with these 2 blow up mattresses! Even more funny is that we usually pay some sort of "upcharge" for having 5 people in a hotel room that we bring our own additional beds into!

Go for the LLBean item/blow up mattress, you won't regret it.

Isn't that just nuts?? Pay more for a person you bring the bed for. LOL! Boys...what a joy. When they get along it's wonderful...but when they're at odds it gets rough real fast. The fun never ends. :lol:

Ordered the LLBean Easy C0t. I think it'll be a great thing to have for sleepovers, going to Nana's, etc. I love how compact it is. And it'll pay for itself over the course of our 9 night trip.

POFQ does have roll-aways. We had one last October when we were there. We only had four people in our room, but we wanted an extra bed, so once we checked in, I called and they delivered it within about half an hour of the call. There is a charge for it ( nightly ) of $15

Oh! So POFQ does have rollaways! Excellent info! The LLBean c0t will pay for itself halfway thru the trip but if we weren't driving it'd be a wonderful piece of info to have. So thanks! :wave:

And just a side note, if one person will be sleeping on the floor or a fold-away bed, the rooms at Caribbean Beach are larger than the other Moderates, so it might not feels as cramped.
Though I think the difference in dimensions is a couple of extra feet wider from side-to-side, it's not any deeper front-to-back.

If a bigger bed itself might help out with the sleeping-together problem, all of the double beds at Coronado Springs have been swapped out for queen beds...

-Rob

I think I knew about the rooms at CB being slightly bigger. Good to know Coronado is all queens now. We're trying to avoid those big mega-size moderates but if full beds were a deal-breaker then that's good info to have. Thank you! :wave:

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

How much are the family suite at the All Stars..i know your trying to aviod the larger, spread out..all the extra walking but 9 days is a long time to be cramped in one small room with an extra anything to have to deal with. Might be worth checking into and adjusting the mind set to make for a much better ending with no hurt feeling after spending so much together time in a smaller room for so long........:shrug: And with a room like this mom and dad gain some privacy!!!!! just my $$0.02!!!! Good luck and enjoy which ever way you ending up!!!!

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

Sounds like me and my younger sister. I actually got so sick of sharing a bed with her, I moved to the floor and slept with a blanket and pillow.
However, we have starting bringing a sleeping bag and we rotate who sleeps there every night. We learned that with this method the person on the floor never got a real good nights sleep so they would normally be cranky the next day. So we would come back to the resort and rest for about 2 hours during the day so that person could take a nap on a real bed.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom