Finally made it onto Under the Sea...not impressed

Since1976

It's a basic dark ride, essentially a gateway attraction for Walt Disney World newbies. In that sense, it's pretty successful, as it's got the well-themed (and somewhat interactive) queue and show building, lively animatronics, and a solid story flow.

The fact that Disney spent money on TLM makes me hopeful that we'll get a new dark ride (Horizons 2? Figment 4?) at Epcot one day.

lebeau

And in twenty years when they update or remove LM people will be clamoring about losing such a classic.

Probably.

But my opinion isn't based on nostalgia. I don't have any fond memories of riding PP as a kid. Nor does anyone else in my family. We all prefer TLM story to PP and we all prefer the PP ride. PP could use some love, but even in its current state it has the whimsy that TLM ride completely lacks.

jlsHouston

Me too. Couldn't feel the love. I just rode it for the first time this past March. I thought it would be ...more immersive. I had a difficult time following the sequences because of the noise I think. I liked Ursula. That was about it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Is it not just the same as at CA? if it is It was a pleasant enough ride, Im sure the under 10 girls and women of a certain age that it was aimed at will enjoy it

tinkerblonde11

I definitely agree with the closeness of the vehicles. but of course that's what comes with omnimovers. With Pooh and previously Snow, you often can't see the car in front of you or else it's very dark and you're too busy paying attention to the scenes around you. In Under the Sea, the cars are too close and the lighting is too bright NOT to be distracted by the cars/other people. For me, it works better in HM because it's a group of people experiencing a "haunted house" together (I sure don't want to feel alone there!) whereas in a story-line dark ride it's almost like watching a movie and should feel more independently immersive. Just the way I see it!
I also had a slight issue with the AA's. Primarily Ariel, she just looked very plastic and reminded me of a doll I would see in a kid's playset. Also many of the fish just looked very fake. Ursula of course is a different story, she looked awesome and completely redeemed the ride for me.
Overall I still enjoyed it and am happy they added another dark ride to Fantasyland, just those few things made it not one of my favorites.

PolynesianPrincess

My issue is also the ending. It's like there's Ariel and Eric in a boat and then Ursula is dead! If someone who has never seen TLM goes on the ride, they would never know Ursula showed up as Vanessa and Ariel tried to stop the wedding and then she turned back into a mermaid... There is just a HUGE chunk left out!

I also agree with the ride vehicles being too close together. I've noticed that ride has A LOT of flash photography going on every time I ride it. The fact the clamshells are so close together and facing each other a good part of the ride definitely makes that worse.

BoarderPhreak

I don't want to pile on the UtS hatewagon, but yeah... After setting the stage outside - the ride inside is a bit of a let-down. You have to ride it at least once, even a couple of times. But I fear it doesn't have the "staying power" of classic Disney rides. It's not even as cool as NaF at EC, which is saying a lot. It's a lot like IaSW in ways (the exposed ceiling, large room of AAs, etc.).

But... It's better than nothing I guess - it absorbs enough people in the park that could be elsewhere. :p

Communicore

I rode this during the NFL soft opening after a day at DCA so it was literally back to back and there's just something off with the NFL version. The vibe, the plastic, the concrete, the cheapness, I can't quite explain.

JohnD

When the bar locked into place, it was too close to my waist. I was constricted and could barely concentrate on the ride. I agree that the main party scene with the disco ball definitely needs improvement and more to immerse you into the story. "This ain't no Haunted Mansion, folks."

aladdin2007

It's pretty good, but should have been awesome. So many flaws from basic design onwards.

Agree, not to mention way too much plastic for textures. The outside is fantastic in theme and design. Seems like they spent more on that than the ride. something is just wrong with that picture that the queue was given more attention than the ride itself. If they wanted to wow they could have stuck with the original overhead track plan, but of course they wont spend that kind of money. I could maybe live with the insides more if they didnt leave everything exposed.

Pocahontas

I mean, I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary with it, but I didn't think it would be terrible either. I was not disappointed, I thought it was very cute and it had my attention the whole time. It's just a nice little dark ride that fits very well with the land it's in. Nothing extraordinary, but I don't think it's a bad ride at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom