Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

DCLcruiser

What separates Figment and Dreamfinder so much from the other EPCOT Center characters?

Ignoring they're the focal point of their attraction.
He's a friendly dragon. Show an 8 year old a dragon and they are hooked. I'm still hooked at my age.

Also, Future World doesn't really have any other characters.

UoE - The tigers? Dinosaurs? Neither were characters.
Horizons - None, that I recall
M:S - None
WoL - Goofy playing sports? White blood cells?
WoM/TT - None
SE - None
Seas - Nemo is new and doesn't really matter for the pavilion.
Land - LK is not even the main attraction

V_L_Raptor

What separates Figment and Dreamfinder so much from the other EPCOT Center characters?

The original attraction used them to speak to viewers in a much more germane way than any of the other attractions did. Not even Cranium Command, ostensibly telling people about how their own brains work, managed to draw in the audience the way the original JII did. It didn't talk down, it just shared, and it did so in a way that made people want to re-ride to catch more of what was on view, because so many scenes were jam-packed with elements that it was impossible to take the whole thing in over a single ridethrough.

They came to embody the tone of the attraction, and nothing since has matched it. Of course they're still beloved!

Moth

He's a friendly dragon. Show an 8 year old a dragon and they are hooked. I'm still hooked at my age.

Also, Future World doesn't really have any other characters.

UoE - The tigers? Dinosaurs? Neither were characters.
Horizons - None, that I recall
M:S - None
WoL - Goofy playing sports? White blood cells?
WoM/TT - None
SE - None
Seas - Nemo is new and doesn't really matter for the pavilion.
Land - LK is not even the main attraction
UoE- Correct. That's never really had a mascot.
Horizons- Technically the family, but also the Butler has become a 'mascot', but the narrator/family is never given names and the Butler is the mascot after the ride closed.
M:S- Correct
WoL- Buzzy feels pretty clear cut here.
WoM- Test Dummies? Bird and Robot? Water Machine Freak? Grasping for straws. These feel more "marketable scrimblo" versus an actual character which brings me to...

For JII, you ride alongside Figment and Dreamfinder, even for 3.0 you ride alongside and get to know Figment. They feel like, actual characters that have a story and everything behind them, especially since JII is very much a "fantasyland" style ride in ways the others aren't.

DCLcruiser

UoE- Correct. That's never really had a mascot.
Horizons- Technically the family, but also the Butler has become a 'mascot', but the narrator/family is never given names and the Butler is the mascot after the ride closed.
M:S- Correct
WoL- Buzzy feels pretty clear cut here.
WoM- Test Dummies? Bird and Robot? Water Machine Freak? Grasping for straws. These feel more "marketable scrimblo" versus an actual character which brings me to...

For JII, you ride alongside Figment and Dreamfinder, even for 3.0 you ride alongside and get to know Figment. They feel like, actual characters that have a story and everything behind them, especially since JII is very much a "fantasyland" style ride in ways the others aren't.
I would say Figment is the only character. The only one you want to take home, and buy merch. He is the unofficial mascot. EPCOT is the realization of an imagination.

To me, pastel-purple lighting = EPCOT, and that directly ties to Figment.

Mickeynerd17

Dreamfinder and figment were the only official characters outside of the fab five back in the day. All the others were given character status after their respective rides closed to sell merch as "representatives" for their respective pavilion.

also dreamfinder and figment are much more timeless than the others.

Making a new horizons ride centered around the robot butler would be odd at best imho.

FigmentJedi

Dreamfinder and figment were the only official characters outside of the fab five back in the day. All the others were given character status after their respective rides closed to sell merch as "representatives" for their respective pavilion.
Kitchen Kabaret had a pretty strong merchandising presence from Day One though. Helps that it was actually there on opening day versus Imagination being pushed back to March '83.

Mickeynerd17

Kitchen Kabaret had a pretty strong merchandising presence from Day One though. Helps that it was actually there on opening day versus Imagination being pushed back to March '83.
Oh yes, that is correct. I would bring them back to more prominence as well, maybe even with a revived Kitchen Kabaret show in the current Awesome Planet theater.

But for the other pavilions, I would say no. Maybe with Buzzy, but even then Cranium Command did not encompass the entire Wonders of Life.

Mickeynerd17

EPCOT should not be redesigned as a castle park. It never will be. As long as it attempts to copy Disneyland, it will always look like a terrible knock-off. Just like the Disney parks should stop trying to be like Universal. Nobody can be better at Universal Parks than Universal. EPCOT will never be as good a Disneyland as Disneyland.

EPCOT is EPCOT. The park should reflect the same ideas and concepts it was created with. Even the IP integration should follow that to a T, which is why I believe Rat works in France but Cosmic Rewind does not work in Future World. Attempting to make it into another castle park will never work in the long run.

OptimusPrime

In the Parks
No

I think a big part is that they had walk around characters that got people more connected because they got to actually play with them.

So outside of the attraction, people will remember the time Figment took their hat and played with it, as opposed to just remembering singing foods.

OptimusPrime

In the Parks
No
There was also concept art for walk around M&G’s for some characters from KK.

Also, the foods would absolutely be considered the stars of the show in Disney’s book, as they were all the merch that was pushed.

Bonnie Appetite had one coloring page. That was her only merch. They did a Vinylmation of her years down the road, but when it was running, she was essentially ignored lmao.

MerlinTheGoat

WoM/TT - None
While WoM didn't really any a mascot, my mind always goes to this when I try to think of one-

1721769086949.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom