Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

pdude81

Agreed on gutting being the preferred method. I'm guessing the partial demo would at least leave the glass pyramids though.

Mickeynerd17

I really hope the glass pyramids remain. They’re one of my favorite pieces of architecture...they’re just really special.

Wouldn’t it cost more to demo the entire structure and build a newer structure than gut the inside?

I'm really not sure, I guess it depends on what they want to do and whether the building will be able to support that. Sometimes its easier to repurpose the old building, other times it's better to just start with a clean slate. It all depends on what they want.

trainplane3

I really hope the glass pyramids remain. They’re one of my favorite pieces of architecture...they’re just really special.

Wouldn’t it cost more to demo the entire structure and build a newer structure than gut the inside?
It would depend. Do they want a trackless ride? Go and pour a level floor and also gut everything. Is the building awkward to retrofit(too purpose built)? Demo and build another warehouse. Will the next version have a turntable? Can the cemented and locked turntable work or is it too far gone to be worth saving? Can we retrofit a new turntable? The various systems in the building are probably old and would require replacement. Is there a real reason to save the building?

Lots of questions that we won't know the answer to until an announcement.

Similar situation: My airport went through a big study recently. The landside terminal opened in the early 90s was deemed too large and out of date to be worth keeping and upgrading. They're going to demo it and build an entire new terminal instead. And also do away with the peoplemover. I was surprised but the study doc seemed to make a lot of sense.

Mickeynerd17

It would depend. Do they want a trackless ride? Go and pour a level floor and also gut everything. Is the building awkward to retrofit(too purpose built)? Demo and build another warehouse. Will the next version have a turntable? Can the cemented and locked turntable work or is it too far gone to be worth saving? Can we retrofit a new turntable? The various systems in the building are probably old and would require replacement. Is there a real reason to save the building?

Lots of questions that we won't know the answer to until an announcement.

Similar situation: My airport went through a big study recently. The landside terminal opened in the early 90s was deemed too large and out of date to be worth keeping and upgrading. They're going to demo it and build an entire new terminal instead. And also do away with the peoplemover. I was surprised but the study doc seemed to make a lot of sense.

The turntable is so messed up, there is no way it will ever work again, plus most of it is gone anyhow. It's remains are below the floor at the load of the current ride. Makes me sad thinking about it. 😭

DreamfinderGuy

I’m okay with a partial demo if it means expanding/shortening the first floor or the upstairs Image Works in the back (Although the former would be better, space can always be filled with something). Would prefer a gutting on both counts, but whatever needs done to put something good there I guess.

trainplane3

Not cememted but warped, stuck, and with additional equipment bolted to it and conduits drilled through it. It won’t turn again but it’s actual pit could be revealed. If only.

Fun fact. The original drive motors for it are still in place.
I should note that I don't expect the turntable to work again. I was just putting something out there as an example of the laundry list of questions they could possibly run through when it comes to overhaul vs complete demo. Heavily summarizing the possible process.

UNCgolf

They could always demo it and then rebuild the pyramids or something very similar on top of the new building (although I don't expect that to happen).

Figments Friend

I personally would rather they not demo the entire Pavilion.
No need for that if they just clear all of the interior on the ground level.
A lesson today's Disney really needs to learn - Do not destroy what came before , build upon the foundation.

The building has plenty of space when you remove all of the claustrophobic walls that were put up in 1998 for the re-do into the 'Imagination Institute' setting.
They could indeed build something marvelous and imaginative in there once again, but it will only happen when someone at the top of the ladder decides it needs to happen.
To date, that is not a priority....sadly.

Time changes all things, however.

-

UNCgolf

I would prefer they not demolish the building as well, but they've let parts of it get so decrepit that I wouldn't be surprised if it was more expensive for them to refurb than start from scratch, especially since old parts of the original ride (like the turntable) are still there. They'd have to pull all of that stuff out to build something actually new and impressive; it would probably require a complete gutting of the original building.

Epcot82Guy

I also have to wonder if a partial demo would include a bit of reorientation. If the "World Neighborhoods" stick, arguably the entrance could be reoriented so you enter a sort of courtyard off the Rose walk. So, the pyramids are actually toward the back of the pavilion ala some of the WS pavilions.

Timothy_Q

Why refurb when you can demo and rebuild something inferior at 2x/3x/4x/+ the price? Refurbs don't get the "LOOK AT WHAT I DID!!!" reaction that guys like Chapek are seeking.
You mean the guy that approved the cheap refurbs of Mission Breakout, Pixar Pier, Nano Battle, Iron Man Coaster in DLP, etc.

Honestly I’d rather a rebuild than another one of these projects

CJR

You mean the guy that approved the cheap refurbs of Mission Breakout, Pixar Pier, Nano Battle, Iron Man Coaster in DLP, etc.

Honestly I’d rather a rebuild than another one of these projects

Just a note, to be fair, these are all projects outside of WDW. Outside of Mickey, which will be a solid attraction, things have been different for the most part in FL.

tirian

I never said that the technology itself was fickle, just that ROTR is exceptionally unreliable and that gives me pause for concern. While all of the other trackless attractions you named are operational (not living overseas, I’ve no idea how they behaved when they first debuted) none of them are currently operating in the domestic parks. I’ve been told that the powers that be have wanted to cheapen out on important construction materials that just don’t hold up the same, which can vary from project to project (against the recommendations of those actually building it), and every little adjustment can impact the behavior of the ride operation.

Yes, rides break down, including the “tried and true.” I’d say that’s more from not so great maintenance from what I generally see, but certain ride systems are also more particular than others. But I’ve never heard of a new Disney attraction being as temperamental as ROTR has been.

This is, of course, a definite possibility. Indiana Jones at DL and Dinosaur at DAK have frequent breakdowns due to the sensor technology on the track. If even a little hydraulic fluid is detected on the path of the jeep, the ride will shut down. With the trackless vehicles, it’s even more imperative that the floor they operate on is perfectly flat. The elevator technology was already perfected with TOT.

This all leads to my main point. We’re all unfortunately just guessing why ROTR is having as many technical issues as it is. Growing pains are normal, but I’m not used to seeing a new attraction struggle as much as this one out of the gate. But it’s an excellent attraction, and I’d love to see that level of imagination inspire something new for the Imagination Pavilion.

More important in my eyes s that the new attraction would have high capacity. The parks desperately need more attractions that are high capacity. I don’t want to further derail, but I recommend looking at the amount of attractions and average wait times at Disneyland Resort and then compare them to Walt Disney World. It’s not good that the parks so often get high-capacity attractions replaced with low-capacity ones (if anything at all in many cases), especially if the goal is to get even more guests visiting the parks.
Peter Pan at DL averages a 45-minute wait. Forty-five minutes. That’s how much more there is to do in DL vs. the MK.

But I digress. ;)

A new Imagination attraction needs to be a full-scale, old-school pavilion again. It needs a long, crowd-crunching attraction to absorb all those guests who have completed FW’s 3-minute-long rides. It needs a cutting-edge tech playground that allows guests to actually use their imagination. It needs a 3-D show worth keeping open. It could also benefit from a new quick-service window (new construction) serving Insta-ready creations inspired by the little purple dragon.

RSoxNo1

Peter Pan at DL averages a 45-minute wait. Forty-five minutes. That’s how much more there is to do in DL vs. the MK.

But I digress. ;)

A new Imagination attraction needs to be a full-scale, old-school pavilion again. It needs a long, crowd-crunching attraction to absorb all those guests who have completed FW’s 3-minute-long rides. It needs a cutting-edge tech playground that allows guests to actually use their imagination. It needs a 3-D show worth keeping open. It could also benefit from a new quick-service window (new construction) serving Insta-ready creations inspired by the little purple dragon.
Peter Pan in California is also a less efficient ride than Florida.

Now let's come up with some food options for the Imagination quick service:

• Kid's Meal: Two Tiny Wings
  • Ice Cream can be a Dream Come True
  • Dreampork

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom