Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Homemade Imagineering

Forgive me but have we had a discussion about the rainbow thing in the model? What’s that all about...seems like an announcement should of happened if they showed it ON A MODEL.
First off, on the model, the various pavilions have giant objects lying outside of them that show what can be found inside of the pavilion( take for example the giant guitar and maracas on the outside of the Mexico pavilion, or the buildings on the roof of the play pavilion). Now, I totally see where you are coming from here, but I’m not to sure if it’s anything significant. Disney didn’t mention a thing about the current state that imagination is in, so therefore one might say that they aren’t proud of its current state, so when tasked with finding something iconic to adorn the building, they chose the rainbow tunnel since fans love it, and it’s probably the most iconic structure to have ever come out of imagination. With that being said, just because they haven’t announced anything yet, presumably because they haven’t had the time to discuss imagination with all of the other EPCOT projects underway, that doesn’t mean that they don’t have an idea of what they want to do with the pavilion. Maybe the current plan is to bring it back, as we know it was definately one of the proposals floating around WDI at some point, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that is their plan. Thoughts on this anyone?

Haymarket2008

I would venture to guess that Figment/Dreamfinder is at the top of the pile. For a number of reasons: it is easy fan service, the one project die hard Disney fans have been clamoring for, and a guaranteed success in regards to merchandising and promotion.
Also the notion that the Imagination pavilion is a part of World Celebration, a “land” dedicated to what makes Epcot great and human connection makes me think it is a natural fit. Inside Out does NOT fit Nature or Celebration. The two attractions within it are SSE and (an updated) Imagination. Two inherently Epcot attractions worthy of the land they inhabit.

Homemade Imagineering

I would venture to guess that Figment/Dreamfinder is at the top of the pile. For a number of reasons: it is easy fan service, the one project die hard Disney fans have been clamoring for, and a guaranteed success in regards to merchandising and promotion.
Also the notion that the Imagination pavilion is a part of World Celebration, a “land” dedicated to what makes Epcot great and human connection makes me think it is a natural fit. Inside Out does NOT fit Nature or Celebration. The two attractions within it are SSE and (an updated) Imagination. Two inherently Epcot attractions worthy of the land they inhabit.
Yeah I totally agree. Plus bringing back imagination would really make a huge difference in the way fans feel about the “IP invasion” happening at Epcot right now, since it would bring a bit of a balance to Epcot’s original attraction lineup compared to IP based attractions. I hope Disney sees this as a way to redeem themselves, as this is the absolute prime opportunity to do the right thing!!

DoleWhipDrea

I’ve been thinking a lot about how the Dreamfinder’s fan appeal is similar in some ways to the Disneyland fan appeal of the Hatbox Ghost. Hattie didn’t last long in the Haunted Mansion due to the effect not looking convincing enough in the attraction, but he became this larger than life figure in the fan community with his lore. Most had never seen him in person, but they had heard about him and clamored to put him back into the ride. It took WDI a long time to figure out a solution to update the effect (going so far as to make a joke about it at a D23 in the Imagineering section of the show floor), but they finally figured it out and brought him back in a new way and the fans rejoiced.

Obviously Dreamfinder was around EPCOT Center a lot longer than a few weeks, was an unofficial mascot of the park with Figment and had a walk-around character, so his appeal is significantly larger for Walt Disney World fans. For someone like me who never got to experience the original JII, he’s still a juggernaut of a character, and diving into EPCOT’s history has made me love the park even more...and I know I’m not alone in this. I think the fact that WDW is getting Disneyland leadership very soon (Josh D’Amaro) is a really good thing, and it gives me hope that TDO will be more in touch with what fans of EPCOT want. If the Hatbox Ghost’s story is any indicator, a fan favorite can always come back :)

RoysCabin

Obviously October 1 has come and gone, but I have to think the model in Odyssey doesn't mean anything is "imminent", as the twitter account said; if they intend to leave it in there for awhile, they'll likely want to space out the announcements, so perhaps there'll be word about things at next year's D23 or something and it'll lead to changes in the EPCOT experience room.

mergatroid

As somebody who has experienced all the Journey rides and loved the original, I can't see Disney rebuilding the original attraction as it was. Not because it wasn't great at the time, but because it would appear rather dated.

Put it this way, if the original had never existed and was created now exactly as it was then I imagine (no pun intended) loads on here would hate it. "Why isn't it trackless", "For that price I expected better", "Universal make exciting attractions, this is boring" or "Lot's of cut outs and lights, what are we 1980's".

I appreciate many would enjoy it but I fear our memories perhaps remember it a little better than it actually was. A ride the size it was would be brilliant, perhaps recreating some of the original scenes with some added new ones would work. However to make it completely identical to the original would be a bit disappointing in my humble opinion.

Hollywood 1939

As somebody who has experienced all the Journey rides and loved the original, I can't see Disney rebuilding the original attraction as it was. Not because it wasn't great at the time, but because it would appear rather dated.

Put it this way, if the original had never existed and was created now exactly as it was then I imagine (no pun intended) loads on here would hate it. "Why isn't it trackless", "For that price I expected better", "Universal make exciting attractions, this is boring" or "Lot's of cut outs and lights, what are we 1980's".

I appreciate many would enjoy it but I fear our memories perhaps remember it a little better than it actually was. A ride the size it was would be brilliant, perhaps recreating some of the original scenes with some added new ones would work. However to make it completely identical to the original would be a bit disappointing in my humble opinion.

I agree, there are several aspects that would need to be revamped. A trackless ride system would be a no-brainer. Lighting and projection effects could be updated. In my opinion, the final room would have to definitely be redone; the puppet videos would look awful. Maybe even replace the 2D cartoon monsters in the Literature section with computer graphics. There are ways to plus it while keeping the original layout. But some things are untouchable to me; mainly the original score and voice acting.

DoleWhipDrea

I don’t think anyone here is hoping for a carbon copy of the original version...it’s about getting an updated version in the spirit of the original. Something whimsical, fun, creative, and not done on the cheap. I agree, some of the original effects would look rather outdated now. I would love to see WDI take a truly innovative approach to the design, primarily in special effects. The imagination is about not being constrained.

I agree, there are several aspects that would need to be revamped. A trackless ride system would be a no-brainer. Lighting and projection effects could be updated. In my opinion, the final room would have to definitely be redone; the puppet videos would look awful. Maybe even replace the 2D cartoon monsters in the Literature section with computer graphics. There are ways to plus it while keeping the original layout. But some things are untouchable to me; mainly the original score and voice acting.

Trackless vehicles could be fun, though I worry that by the time RAT & RotR opens, having a 3rd version of this in WDW might feel repetitive. I’m curious to see how well the system holds up in day to day operations. IMHO, it should be a high-capacity system.

Lighting effects in rides have come a long way since JII opened, so a section based on paint/color could be really fantastic now. Just thinking about what WDI could do now with the iconic imagery of Figment with a rainbow gets me really excited to see it in action.

I will be honest... I haven’t been a fan of most of the CGI to make its way into Disney attractions. It dates itself so quickly and they don’t update it. I would rather see something akin to the animation of Ariel in her ride at MK, bridging the gap between the original film and the physical sets in the attraction.

This last point is the key. The score and voice acting play a huge part on the guests’ emotional response and was carefully selected for the ride. The warmth of Dreamfinder, the childlike innocence of Figment, and the heartwarming score are key to the heart of the original.

Homemade Imagineering

If Disney decides to bring imagination back, then they will most certainly not bring it back just like the original. The turntable is never going to ever come back in any shape or form, so that’s gone for sure, and Disney will not want to bring it back just like the original. They will create an all new ride in a gutted open space to work with, starring dreamfinder and figment, with one little spark as the theme song. That’s it. They will create a whole new story most likely, new dialogue, voice actors, new technology, and maybe even a new look for dreamfinder, Akin to his comic book look. While I can’t really be sure dreamfinder will be in this new attraction, I am at least reassured that figment will most likely stay, due to his amount of merch right now, and because he is basically EPCOT’S unofficial mascot. For example, all of the proposals involve the theme of imagination, and figment can be integrated into that theme in any way shape or form in my opinion. For example, if Disney does decide they want an inside out attraction, then they can easily integrate figment into the ride or a section of the ride, like imagination land from the movie. I wouldn’t necessarily want this, but if it brings more guests to the pavilion and includes groundbreaking animatronics, then I wouldn’t really have a problem with it IF they at least include figment. Obviously Though I want dreamfinder and figment to come back for an all new original ride, that’s not based on an IP.

pdude81

It could certainly have the same layout as the original if they wanted it to, and the turntable wouldn't be so technologically impossible these days. There is no way they'd try to recreate the original ride because even if they succeeded it would be a little disappointing these days. They could easily use some of oldride for inspiration and put a new spin on it. This is what everyone truly wants, even if some haters like to say they'd be fine with an inside-out mashup or that it's inevitable that we get some other IP in there. Don't let anybody off the hook before they have dared to even announce a plan

peter11435

If Disney decides to bring imagination back, then they will most certainly not bring it back just like the original. The turntable is never going to ever come back in any shape or form, so that’s gone for sure, and Disney will not want to bring it back just like the original. They will create an all new ride in a gutted open space to work with, starring dreamfinder and figment, with one little spark as the theme song. That’s it. They will create a whole new story most likely, new dialogue, voice actors, new technology, and maybe even a new look for dreamfinder, Akin to his comic book look. While I can’t really be sure dreamfinder will be in this new attraction, I am at least reassured that figment will most likely stay, due to his amount of merch right now, and because he is basically EPCOT’S unofficial mascot. For example, all of the proposals involve the theme of imagination, and figment can be integrated into that theme in any way shape or form in my opinion. For example, if Disney does decide they want an inside out attraction, then they can easily integrate figment into the ride or a section of the ride, like imagination land from the movie. I wouldn’t necessarily want this, but if it brings more guests to the pavilion and includes groundbreaking animatronics, then I wouldn’t really have a problem with it IF they at least include figment. Obviously Though I want dreamfinder and figment to come back for an all new original ride, that’s not based on an IP.
They're not going to.. but if they wanted they absolutely could bring it back exactly as the original complete with turntable.

pdude81

Figment is escaping Imagination via chopper:

d22ed0178132e2e93d408e9f0ef2c6f0.jpg

Homemade Imagineering

Now If they create V4 with this new tech right here, they could really create something special, and allow guests to interact with their environment around them. I guess one could say, that these vehicles allow one to use their imagination...

Attachments

• 33C42909-29B1-4BC8-B0CA-7303F3822C7B.png
    33C42909-29B1-4BC8-B0CA-7303F3822C7B.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 111

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom