Figment, Dreamfinder, Water Tower?

RSoxNo1

I think we need to remember that Disney is no longer an individual. Disney is a corporation, meaning one single person doesn't always speak for the entire group of stakeholders. At one point, the Disney Corporation may have indicated that Dreamfinder was long gone, but corporations change CEOs, board members, etc. That means a group of people can change their mind...which is much easier than a single individual changing their mind. Walt Disney (the individual) didn't declare Dreamfinder dead, the Disney Corporation (a group of people) did...and that corporation has had turnover.

I'm not saying that Dreamfinder is coming back, but claiming that he definitely isn't because someone several years ago said he wasn't is very short sighted. How many times have we seen major corporations (or governments) change their mind in the past? A good board of directors can see how the world is changing and re-direct a company.

So my post was a joke...

As for the Dreamfinder you can look at Disney as corporation as a means of explaining his being there as well. D23 is for the fans. The hardcore fans recognize who the Dreamfinder is, and bringing him back would delight those fans. So be reaching out to the original character actor from the parks they have appeased these fans at the D23 event. It is just as likely that this was an isolated Dreamfinder appearance in an arm of the company where it would be more appreciated than putting him back as the secondary figure in a major attraction.

I would love to see Dreamfinder return to the park - I'm just not optimistic that it's happening, and I don't think his appearance at the D23 convention changes that.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
As for the Dreamfinder you can look at Disney as corporation as a means of explaining his being there as well. D23 is for the fans. The hardcore fans recognize who the Dreamfinder is, and bringing him back would delight those fans. So be reaching out to the original character actor from the parks they have appeased these fans at the D23 event. It is just as likely that this was an isolated Dreamfinder appearance in an arm of the company where it would be more appreciated than putting him back as the secondary figure in a major attraction.

I would love to see Dreamfinder return to the park - I'm just not optimistic that it's happening, and I don't think his appearance at the D23 convention changes that.

The appearance of the Dreamfinder at the D23 event has about as much bearing on JII coming back in its original form as the routine release of Dreamfinder t-shirts and other merchandise- which is to say none at all. Disney knows its most devout fans thrive on nostalgia, and will do all they can to profit from that.

wayneway

The immense unpopularity should and probably has turned their heads. The original attraction had out-the-door lines, and the current version is a walk-on even on New Years Eve (I know this from multiple personal experiences). If Disney didn't care if guests like a ride, they wouldn't have changed the second version and added Figment back in.

Not that they always take action when it comes to unpopular rides, but they certainly must notice, especially when the ride replaced a beloved attraction that was extremely popular. With all the old-school stuff that has been showing up, we know they are definitely listening to us to a certain degree.

Another problem is Disney listening to sponsors too much, they need to grow a pair and let sponsors know that creative control is 100% WDI., and yes I know that's wishful thinking as well...

TinkerBell9988

And how may I ask do you know this?

This isnt exactly directed at only you, but I get so tired of people presenting their own personal thoughts and feelings as facts on these boards.

....just saying:shrug:

Because I know. And I'm not going to jeopardize some of my friends' careers or current positions within the Walt Disney Company just to explain myself.

I thought it was absolutely fabulous that the Dreamfinder appeared during the Magic Journeys concert. Kudos to the D23 team for making (and letting) it happen. The higher-ups at Disney were not unhappy Dreamfinder made an appearance... they were actually smitten and happy that so many people that went to Destination D gave Dreamfinder a standing ovation.

TinkerBell9988

First off,how is Dreamfinder obsolete?

Just because he's been gone for a few years? We still remember him. It's not like that Stitch show that was a totally disaster and no one except the fans know about it.

He's obsolete because TDO made him obsolete. I don't see him anywhere in the parks except for on merchandise... Do you see him other places? His walkaround character is gone, his attraction is gone, and he doesn't even get to sing his own theme song. He is obsolete in the parks, but he still lives on with Disney and EPCOT fans everywhere.

Not saying its a bad thing... its just the truth. :shrug:

TinkerBell9988

What is obsolete about Dreamfinder?

I think his reception at D23 shows he's not so obsolete.

The fact that TDO got rid of him entirely back in 1998/1999 is what makes him obsolete. He is not a character in EPCOT anymore. And you can't count merchandise.

I'm not saying that the FANS think he is obsolete... Heck, even Imagineers such as Tony Baxter and Marty Sklar gave the Dreamfinder a standing ovation at the concert! (And I was sitting near them, I saw it myself)

Yes, Ron/Dreamfinder was given an amazing and heartwarming reception at D23, but that is neither a confirmation or even the slightest hint of hope that Dreamfinder, or a new version of JII with him in it, is going to happen. Just don't get your hopes up.

And this is coming from probably one of the most passionate JII/Dreamfinder fans out there... :eek:

misterID

If you don't remember, they HAD to bring back Figment to the Imagination attraction when they tried to make him "obsolete." They had to do an about face there.

Does that mean they'll bring DF back or we'll get a proper Imagination refurb? No, but that all comes down to the fact that TDO is a cheap, uncreative and plain out terrible management team, not because of DF or Figment being obsolete.

It they were truly obsolete, the current ride would still be the biggest draw at EPCOT. It ain't, it's a disaster. That's fact. The original ride didn't run its course, it was simply changed, not because of numbers dropping or the ride became unpopular. They simply decided to be cheap, instead of creative. It became Tom Fitzgerald's toilet joke.

aladdin2007

If you don't remember, they HAD to bring back Figment to the Imagination attraction when they tried to make him "obsolete." They had to do an about face there.

Does that mean they'll bring DF back or we'll get a proper Imagination refurb? No, but that all comes down to the fact that TDO is a cheap, uncreative and plain out terrible management team, not because of DF or Figment being obsolete.

It they were truly obsolete, the current ride would still be the biggest draw at EPCOT. It ain't, it's a disaster. That's fact. The original ride didn't run its course, it was simply changed, not because of numbers dropping or the ride became unpopular. They simply decided to be cheap, instead of creative. It became Tom Fitzgerald's toilet joke.

So well said!!!!! I love that whole post. Thank you! You said everything Ive been trying to form in my mind in a cohesive manner. Also, Kodak/Disney required that it be changed back in 98/99 it was part of the contract, which was idioic. They could have kept it as it was but just updated it and redo some things. Of course back in the 90s was the gutting of Epcot so it basically went along the same route of World of Motion and Horizons etc. But it def proves TDO's stupidity, except Imagineering was no better with their plan to remove Figment etc etc. At least they went back in and made it "a little" better but its still deplorable and an embarassment of an attraction. I dont think we will see any change until a new sponsor comes in and is willing to shell out millions. It wont happen with all the beancounter statistic people in charge.

TropicalFig8

I was watching a special on JII and it said TDI brought back Figment because some website wrote petitions letters about it and the website got their own showing of the attraction and gave it two thumbs up. I don't really believe that they actually liked the new one.

So if we write petition letters to bring back JII will it come back? Probably not. TDO doesn't care anymore. I think everything changed in the 90's. Everything changed and it probably won't come back. If it does,I would go to Disney every year.

mp2bill

I understand Figment is a big thing for the older generation of disney world fans, but i think it has died out with the majority of the younger ones now. I think Figment will soon be extinct If we are being honest :zipit::dazzle::dazzle:

I hope not. It just needs a re-tooling.

I wouldn't read to much into the use of nostalgia at a fan event, but anything to help that Imagination Pavilion is long overdue. I never even got to see it in its prime and I know how bad it is!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom