Figment, Dreamfinder, Water Tower?

JimboJones123

While I agree with your sentiment the D23 crowd isn't exactly the best representative of how the general public may feel.

Do I want them to bring them back? Yes. Do I think they'll bring them back based solely on the reaction of 1000+ diehard fans? No.

If a half-way remake brings in a creepy bearded guy that sticks his hand up a dragon's butt, the backlash could leave the pavilion a bigger ghost-town than it is now.

A redo MUST knock it out of the park. If it doesn't it will be the biggest waste in WDW history.

It can't be a why bother move.

lazyboy97o

I would not read too much into this. D23 is aimed at DIsney fans and part of that is selling nostalgia. The Sorcerer Mickey Hat remaining is something that seems to be a local decision, as several Imagineers expressed their disapproval of its continued presence during the 20th anniversary of the Disney-MGM Studios. The People at D23 probably understand that the hat is not all too popular, and local management is content to let other divisions say what they will about its continued presence.

rodserling27

The immense unpopularity should and probably has turned their heads. The original attraction had out-the-door lines, and the current version is a walk-on even on New Years Eve (I know this from multiple personal experiences). If Disney didn't care if guests like a ride, they wouldn't have changed the second version and added Figment back in.

Not that they always take action when it comes to unpopular rides, but they certainly must notice, especially when the ride replaced a beloved attraction that was extremely popular. With all the old-school stuff that has been showing up, we know they are definitely listening to us to a certain degree.

I totally agree. They definitely listen to us. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Tiki Room, and how much of the 'original' it will contain. I would love to see an "imagination" version that's a step up from the original, but not a scene-for-scene remake. Where's the post from Martin talking about completed plans? I can't seem to find it. I won't hold my breath waiting for Imagination 4.0, but with influx of old-school merch, and even bringing back older attractions (msep, eo, tiki)...the future looks a bit more promising.

PurpleRose

My family and I were there the first week of May. It was getting late, my niece was fussy and having a tantrum about wanting to ride one more ride before going back to the hotel. Test Track, Soarin, and Spaceship Earth all had long rides but naturally those are what she wanted to do. I had to spend about five minutes talking her into riding JII. And she's 4. They really need to do something with that ride. Hopefully this means they are going to bring back the Dreamfinder. *crosses fingers*

NoChesterHester

I totally agree. They definitely listen to us. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Tiki Room, and how much of the 'original' it will contain. I would love to see an "imagination" version that's a step up from the original, but not a scene-for-scene remake. Where's the post from Martin talking about completed plans? I can't seem to find it. I won't hold my breath waiting for Imagination 4.0, but with influx of old-school merch, and even bringing back older attractions (msep, eo, tiki)...the future looks a bit more promising.

My memory may be fuzzy, but I distinctly remember him mentioning it. Maybe not "completed," but there definitely was a fleshed out concept done for the attraction with that amazing ride system from Tokyo.

I agree with all the previous posters in that unless we get a total redo of the Imagination Pavilion, I would rather they wait until it is in the cards. We don't need another half baked version with Dr Nigel Channing. I LOVED the original, but do not want to see a scene by scene redo. I know they can come up with a concept that injects the nostalgia for the original and gives us a truly remarkable experience.

Imagination ride is really Imagineering's best chance to steal the show. Prove to us that you are still the greatest attraction designers on the planet.

My wish for the D23 convention is announcements of the Imagination Redo and something for Animal Kingdom. One can dream.

TinkerBell9988

My little brother was DEATHLY afraid of JIYI w/Figment, and still is slightly scared of it. I think its the train in the dark part that freaked him out. For a little kid of about 3 or 4, that can be quite intimidating and unwelcoming. Even at 22, I still get a little freaked out... :lol:

With that being said, I know the Dreamfinder is an obsolete character. There are no plans to return him to the park in the way in which we would all like him to return. He is, however, planned to appear on a bunch of merchandise items that will be for sale in the next few months.

devoy1701

My little brother was DEATHLY afraid of JIYI w/Figment, and still is slightly scared of it. I think its the train in the dark part that freaked him out. For a little kid of about 3 or 4, that can be quite intimidating and unwelcoming. Even at 22, I still get a little freaked out... :lol:

With that being said, I know the Dreamfinder is an obsolete character. There are no plans to return him to the park in the way in which we would all like him to return. He is, however, planned to appear on a bunch of merchandise items that will be for sale in the next few months.

What is obsolete about Dreamfinder?

devoy1701

I think his reception at D23 shows he's not so obsolete.

Not only that...I'm trying to understand how any character, let alone Dreamfinder could ever become "obsolete". A character is a relevent and loved as the person/company puts time and effort to keep the character in the spotlight. But even characters that are no longer widely used don't become "obsolete".

And Dreamfinder is based on a topic of limitless imagination and dreams...not like he was based on some 1980s consumer technology that is infact now obsolete.

What is obsolete about exploring one's imagination????

stewdog1

A fitting set of announcements for WDW would be restoring some of the classics for the 40th...

1. The Enchanted Tiki Room returns to Magic Kingdom (Already Announced)
2. Dreamfinder returns in an all new Journey Into Imagination reminiscent of the original, complete with the upstairs Imageworks.
3. The hat is demolished in a giant spectacle and the Earful Tower is restored as the icon of Disney's Hollywood Studios.
4. (This one is a long shot) Countdown to Extinction name restored to Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom.

There ya go. That's an easy list of things that could easily be done for the 40th.

5. Knock down WoL pavilion and re-build Horizons. :lookaround:

lazyboy97o

Not only that...I'm trying to understand how any character, let alone Dreamfinder could ever become "obsolete". A character is a relevent and loved as the person/company puts time and effort to keep the character in the spotlight. But even characters that are no longer widely used don't become "obsolete".
It has been years since I have listened to anything by him, but I know that whenever the Dreamfinder came up Lou Mongello used to make a point of saying, without details, that his sources assured him that the Dreamfinder was the one Disney character that could be called completely dead and that he would never come back.

RSoxNo1

My understanding is that Dreamfinder appearing at the D23 event was done as a D23 thing - meaning that it was not intended to be foreshadowing of a future project.

HDS

Dreamfinder was the one Disney character that could be called completely dead and that he would never come back.
Just like TDO's imagination..This is some very closed minded thinking, clearly people want him back or we wouldn't be talking about it. Penny wise and pound foolish.

FigmentJedi

It has been years since I have listened to anything by him, but I know that whenever the Dreamfinder came up Lou Mongello used to make a point of saying, without details, that his sources assured him that the Dreamfinder was the one Disney character that could be called completely dead and that he would never come back.

That was during Eisner time when Dreamfinder was declared dead. But now, the return of Two Headed Jesus is far more likely, what with all of his merch and other insider teases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom