Fight in the briefing room on Test Track

JimboJones123

Great job - good thing you were there.

I know Disney security can't be everywhere, but I think if guests saw a few more uniformed security people inside the parks - not just at the entrances - it might deter some of the bad behavior.

We saw a ton at DTD parking lots last night, but never in the Marketplace or Westside. It can get quite rowdy. On the other hand Universal keeps tons on hand at CityWalk.

Before you jump to the conclusion of differerent types of customers, Universal purposfully sets up a more distinct party atmosphere but also prepares for it.

MoRockin sets up a huge traffic spot on the WS walkway. Nice to see the CS in Mexico move its entrance to delete some heavy traffic. These stop downs are NOT safe.

fosse76

I work at Test Track and I was there the day this incident took place (nowhere near the location it occurred, but we all found out quickly). I would just like to thank you for stepping up, for taking the time out of your vacation to inform our team what happened, and for helping all of the Cast Members out. Unfortunately when any kind of fight occurs (verbal or physical) it becomes a case of "he said, she said" and the Cast Member is stuck in a pickle that ultimately has no solution. We are all grateful that you were there and, once again, I would really like to thank you for helping us out. If it weren't for you there may have never been a resolution.

What disturbs me about the situation is that the CM didn't seem to have any intention of doing anything until the OP identified himself as apolice officer and demanded to see the supervisor. It doesn't matter that the CM didn't witness the incident...calling a supervisor or security should be an immediate response. If it had actually been serious (and an assault isn't necessarily a felony) where the victim had been injured, Disney could also be found liable for failure to act. It seems to me Disney's procedures are "turn a blind eye." And people wonder why Disney is always a target!

Mukta

This story made me so sad for the older gentleman and his young companion. What a tragic thing to happen on vacation. I am so glad you were there, Erik.

CDMagic

What disturbs me about the situation is that the CM didn't seem to have any intention of doing anything until the OP identified himself as apolice officer and demanded to see the supervisor. It doesn't matter that the CM didn't witness the incident...calling a supervisor or security should be an immediate response. If it had actually been serious (and an assault isn't necessarily a felony) where the victim had been injured, Disney could also be found liable for failure to act. It seems to me Disney's procedures are "turn a blind eye." And people wonder why Disney is always a target!

I wouldn't say that Disney's procedures are "turn a blind eye." I personally believe that this Cast Member (I honestly have no idea who it was, so I can only assume what happened) didn't act right away because he/she did not know what to do in the situation. I think the problem stems from the fact that "how to deal with Guests in a physical altercation" is not part of any training Cast Members receive. Put yourself in that person’s shoes. If you had no training on what to do when guests argue, you didn't physically see or hear any altercation, and a guest comes up to you and tells you that there was an argument in the briefing room, you may be confused about which steps to take.

Also, it depends on how the CM hears of the incident. If I was that CM and the OP came up to me and yelled "someone was just punched in the briefing room" I would have called a coordinator, pulled the Guests out of line, and attempted to figure out exactly what happened. However, if the OP came up to me and said "someone had an argument in the briefing room" I would have assumed that it was a just small verbal altercation and I'd go into the room and make sure that both parties were calm and everything was resolved. That's just me. Like I said, we don't receive any formal training on how to handle these situations so it's really up to the CM.

Phonedave

I wouldn't say that Disney's procedures are "turn a blind eye." I personally believe that this Cast Member (I honestly have no idea who it was, so I can only assume what happened) didn't act right away because he/she did not know what to do in the situation. I think the problem stems from the fact that "how to deal with Guests in a physical altercation" is not part of any training Cast Members receive. Put yourself in that person’s shoes. If you had no training on what to do when guests argue, you didn't physically see or hear any altercation, and a guest comes up to you and tells you that there was an argument in the briefing room, you may be confused about which steps to take.

Also, it depends on how the CM hears of the incident. If I was that CM and the OP came up to me and yelled "someone was just punched in the briefing room" I would have called a coordinator, pulled the Guests out of line, and attempted to figure out exactly what happened. However, if the OP came up to me and said "someone had an argument in the briefing room" I would have assumed that it was a just small verbal altercation and I'd go into the room and make sure that both parties were calm and everything was resolved. That's just me. Like I said, we don't receive any formal training on how to handle these situations so it's really up to the CM.

Exactly.

Many people don't want to get involved, and I can udnerstand that. As others have noted, people are pretty crazy, and physical altercations are not uncommon. If you are a young kid, or someone who is not used to altercations - physical or verbal - it can be daunting to go into a situation (especially one you have not witnessed) and start taking command.

-dave

slappy magoo

Has anyone noticed more fights breaking out lately? Are people just getting that violent now?

It's possible that this particular individual was unhinged. I mean, you'd think that goes without saying; people who have all their marbles rarely haul off and slug and old man for the sin of accidentally bumping into them one too many times in a crowded queue. I just mean, it's one thing for two people to have issues with one another that blow up into an argument than a pushing match and then a fight. It's another to bypass the normal give-and-take/point-and-shout/push-and-shove and go straight to violence.

In other words, this sounds less like a "fight" and more like an "attack." And attacks occur usually when it comes to crimes being committed like a mugging or a robbery, or when one person has snapped. Big question is: did this guy just snap, or is he in a perpetual state of snapping? Anger issues, or one bad day and one regrettable decision?

disneyny

Can you imagine being that little boy and having someone punch your grandpa? What a horrible memory. They should have charged him as well with endangering the welfare of a child- no child should have to witness violence like that. Some people are too mean to be allowed out of their homes. I am now thinking I may have my husband bring his badge when we go in February!

JoeDsny

Great story and good job, hope the victim is Ok.... and I thought I was the only Florida cop that visited this website LOL...

I really just don't know what is wrong with some people. That is Disney for gods sake my goodness...It's not like the poor kid was doing this on purpose or anything I can not believe being at Disney and seeing someone getting punched for a push or something, people are excited. Me as a grown up gets excited can you imagine a child....So sad really the whole thing. Good thing you were there to stop it before it went even farther.
I wonder what the kid must have thought about this and I am sure he will remember this forever. :(
Jezz...I wished people can just be nice and excuse others sometimes. If I were to punch all the people that pushed and shoved me at Disney I'd be in Jail for years...
Thanks for saving the day and the kids happiness too.
I am glad something good came out of it in the end for you guys. :wave::)

Mickey_777

Yeah we "almost" saw a fight while waiting for the ferry to TTC back in October. It'd been a long day and I guess a Dad and his family tried to "cut" to get on the ferry before another family and but they just barked like dogs at eachother. When they finally shut up, the one Dad (guy who tried to jump ahead in line) starred down at the other father in an attempt to psych him out or whatever and I'm thinking "Man, you can only look SO tough in a Mickey Mouse t-shirt"...anyways, it was hilarious

meekoman

A number of years ago, I remember standing in line in Fantasyland for one of the rides when I saw one teenager just punching the snot out of another. No one around the situation was doing anything, including the party of the kid getting punched. I looked around and there wasn't any CM's around to notify. Turns out, the teen doing the punching had some behavior issues and the family acted like it was all normal. Weird situation to watch.

RSoxNo1

Kudos to you sir. It's nice to see that you participated in the appropriate course of action.

I think there's something to be said about parents (or in this case grandparents) tending to their children, and disciplining them where necessary. Having said that, it doesn't sound like words were exchanged prior to the sucker punch - that's not the way to handle the situation. You need to talk this out. I've been frustrated with someone not controlling their kids in public and I've said something to the adult in charge.

Thumbelina

Oh no! i feel bad for Grandpa (the old man) and his grandson. I hope everything turn out to be okay with them. It upsets me to hear that someone would just up and hit someone like that,specially at Disney. I know first hand from going with my little cousins to places that keeping them waiting in lines arnt the easier thing to do. Im glad you spoke up.

Last year we saw an altercation between a father (or grandfather?) and a young boy (presumably his son or grandson). He was "disciplining" the boy for doing something (and from what we could see, the boy was literally wanting an ice cream cone or something). Anyway, the father gave the little boy's sister a cone but not him, and all the while, he was berating this poor little boy. The boy had a life vest (Disney issued) and wanted to "cuddle" with it, but every time he tried to hold it, the father yanked it out of his hands and whack the kid upside the head. The boy would start to compose himself and then the father would get right back in his face and get him all riled up again. All the while, the father would yell things like, "WE'RE NEVER COMING BACK AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!" Nice.

The boy and his sister were about 7-9 years old.

I didn't know what to do. We stayed near by and didn't hide our presence. I wanted to make sure that if need be, we would be witnesses or at least be able to help the boy. I hate the fact, though, that I didn't do more, but I just didn't know (A) what to do and (B) if I would make things worse for the little boy.

It was just awful.

But, to the OP and other law enforcement folks on this board, THANK YOU for your service every single day! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom