Field Trip?

lpet11984

Original Poster
I know I'm not the only educator on the boards- has anyone ever taken their students to Disney? I'm a music educator and next year we have our "big trip" year...and I actually wasn't the one who suggested it! :)

Any advice for traveling with students? Travel companies to check out? Ways to save? Any help is appreciated! :wave:

SewIn2Disney

Check out Disney's Magic Music Days (google it), they specialize in music groups going down there for a trip. I took a MMD Band Trip in HS, and we had a blast. You get your own rep who handles everything for you, call them and they can give you an estimate on pricing so you can figure out how much fundraising you have to do. Usually music groups stay at All Star Music, which is a value resort, get to march in a parade, or sing somewhere in the parks, and do backstage tours or workshops.....it's a great experience! Have fun!

Blue0ctane

I would suggest Islands of Adventure or Busch Gardens over Disney if your kids are more into thrills. Out of all the band trips I've been on, four were to Islands and one is going to be to Busch. It's your choice, though. All three parks are amazing.

The Mom

Premium Member
Students from The Son's school go down quite a bit, both as class trips, and as club trips. French Club & German Club have both gone, and the 9th grade is heading down this month.

The Son says he would much prefer 4 days at WDW over the 4 days camping and white water rafting that his class will be doing in April. (for science; they will also be doing filed work) Especially since it's been over a decade since it HASN'T stormed on the trip; one year the campsite got hit by a tornado. :eek:

maconMouse

I took a group of my computer science students to Epcot last year for one day, and we had a wonderful time. For youth group info, check out :

http://www.disneyyouthprograms.com

I couldn't find any discounts for one day trips for my students other than special priced meal vouchers for counter service. They do have some good deals for multi-day passes though for youth groups, and special events like the Magic Music Days and Night of Joy.

DisneyMusician2

As another music educator, I know that my kids had a great time, and we had to drive 22 hours from NY. Make sure you get info on the right thing. Some Disney festivals are only playing, and others allow for adjudication. Disney has partnered with MENC to allow for that. My group were Middle School Kids and it was the highlight of their 3 years in the building.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The school I teach at is relatively new, and we won't graduate our first batch of 8th graders until next year. However, there's already been discussions about taking to WDW for their 8th grade trip. I'll be helping to plan that one :D

lpet11984

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for your input! Some fantastic ideas and things to look in to. I will definitely have to let my band boosters know about all your suggestions.

As another music educator, I know that my kids had a great time, and we had to drive 22 hours from NY. Make sure you get info on the right thing. Some Disney festivals are only playing, and others allow for adjudication. Disney has partnered with MENC to allow for that. My group were Middle School Kids and it was the highlight of their 3 years in the building.

Yes, we'd be coming from MI (high school), and we would definitely want a program with some sort of adjudication/clinic. I'll make sure I do my research for sure so we get this kind of program. Is this the same as the Magic Music Days that was mentioned before or is it something through MENC that I should look up?

... one year the campsite got hit by a tornado. :eek:

Oh my! I hope that wouldn't happen when we were down there...snow and ice we can handle, but a full-powered tropical storm with tornado in FL, and the little snowbabies might freak ;)

surfsupdon

I'm a brand new teacher and will be a chaperone on the senior class trip to WDW from NJ b/c I am a Class Advisor.

Granted I had nothing to do with putting this trip together in March, but I know the senior advisors book through the "Group Disney" sales page. There should be a link on the main disneyworld.com site.

SewIn2Disney

What school do you teach at? It's not Southern Regional is it? Just wondering since I'm from OC too. Still looking for my teaching job though! Good luck to you!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We did a band trip when I was a sophmore. We did a number of things to raise money. Dinners, christmas tree lot, and a fundraiser called Tom Wat. Back when I was in school, before the internet was as popular (mid 80s :lookaroun ) it was a "suitecase" with products that people ordered. http://www.tomwat.com/

We had a contest somewhere ( I dont recall it being on property), then spent two days, one at MK and one at E.P.C.O.T. That was my first visit to the park and it was something I will never forget.

jdness

Magic Music Days

My wife and I have been on 4 trips to WDW MMD and it is great. We have about 110 kids in a the high school band and we have gone on every trip. Been only had kids of my own on 1 but I'm a glutton for punishment. It's a great trip. In our case we do about 5 or 6 parades a year and there are about 1,000 people at one of our parades. At Disney they will have 10,000 people at a parade down Main Street USA. They were buzzing when they got to the end of the parade.

We are getting ready to go again in March of 2009 and I'm looking for info from others that have gone as to who did their tour arrangements. I would like to see a price and schedule from another company to compare with ours just to make sure we are getting the best deal.

kstella

My son's high school is getting ready to go in less than a month for Magic Music Days. It's a whole music department trip. Unfortunately not a wide enough variety of band instruments is going for them to preform anywhere, but the orchestra students (my son included) will be preforming at DTD. :sohappy:The whole group is participating in a workshop one morning. He's very excited. Just have to get through the 22 hour bus ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom