Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

abnorman

I think it was Eddie Sotto that said it in his first thread eons ago: Africa at DAK is the adult fantasy version. There's clean water, modern bathrooms, no militias wandering around, a huge savannah right in the backyard with all your favorite animals, etc. The fact that everyone thinks they got the "real" version proves how effective the fantasy is.

A tad off-topic, but just be careful not to generalize here. I'm from Africa and my fully-modern town has clean water (in fact, rated better than most of the USA's tap-water), modern bathrooms, no militias and game parks within an hour's drive. There are definitely places which don't have these things, but "Africa" isn't a single entity. Even the scope of DAK's Africa section covers a range of very different countries.

Not trying to be combative - I fully acknowledge that Disney isn't in the business of making grittily-realistic settings (see: The World Showcase), just pointing out a common misconception, or at least a common oversight. I worked for WDW, and got some choice guest ignorance far beyond that simple misconception, so I guess I've become a bit more sensitive to it.

Ahem. As you were...

Cosmic Commando

A tad off-topic, but just be careful not to generalize here. I'm from Africa and my fully-modern town has clean water (in fact, rated better than most of the USA's tap-water), modern bathrooms, no militias and game parks within an hour's drive. There are definitely places which don't have these things, but "Africa" isn't a single entity. Even the scope of DAK's Africa section covers a range of very different countries.

Not trying to be combative - I fully acknowledge that Disney isn't in the business of making grittily-realistic settings (see: The World Showcase), just pointing out a common misconception, or at least a common oversight. I worked for WDW, and got some choice guest ignorance far beyond that simple misconception, so I guess I've become a bit more sensitive to it.

Ahem. As you were...
Didn't mean to generalize too much, and you shouldn't feel guilty about bringing it up. I'm not sure if I'm expressing this perfectly, but I think "Africa" and "Asia" at DAK both tie into that romantic ideal you see in travelogues about all parts of the world, even the boring ol' USA. You guys know what I'm talking about... every guide on these shows knows the tiny little out of the way village where they have an old friend who they used to herd emus with once upon a time. They're so excited to have visitors in town to sell some of their homemade jewelry/pottery/textiles. Oh and wow! You just happened to come to town on the day of the annual papaya festival! What a special time! Trying to put some "discovery" into it for lack of a better word... it's just not that exciting in the same way to travel halfway across the world and "discover" a fully-modern city of millions of people. ;)

abnorman

Didn't mean to generalize too much, and you shouldn't feel guilty about bringing it up. I'm not sure if I'm expressing this perfectly, but I think "Africa" and "Asia" at DAK both tie into that romantic ideal you see in travelogues about all parts of the world, even the boring ol' USA. You guys know what I'm talking about... every guide on these shows knows the tiny little out of the way village where they have an old friend who they used to herd emus with once upon a time. They're so excited to have visitors in town to sell some of their homemade jewelry/pottery/textiles. Oh and wow! You just happened to come to town on the day of the annual papaya festival! What a special time! Trying to put some "discovery" into it for lack of a better word... it's just not that exciting in the same way to travel halfway across the world and "discover" a fully-modern city of millions of people. ;)

Yup, I totally understood what you were getting at and I agree. Disney are extremely good (or have been, or sometimes are, or never were - delete according to discussion-forum-anger-level) at recreating a version of a place that has enough authenticity combined with romanticism that it fits with the perception of a place that someone has if they haven't been there. But if you're from the place being rendered, or have been there, or are a bit more worldly-wise, it's pretty immediately obvious where all the twee travelogue bits are. But that's how it should be - if we want the real thing, we can go there. If we're going to a Theme Park, we're looking for a certain experience, a heightened experience. It makes sense we're there on a special day.

That said, one of my major bugbears while at Disney was the fact that I think I was playing djembe drums roughly 98% of the time (maybe a little exaggeration...), even though I had never once played them before. Because that's toooootally African, y'know? ;). Guests would come up and ask me to teach them how to play and I'd be all like... :( "I think you just hit this bit, then hit that bit. And smile. With teeth."

Cosmic Commando

Yup, I totally understood what you were getting at and I agree. Disney are extremely good (or have been, or sometimes are, or never were - delete according to discussion-forum-anger-level) at recreating a version of a place that has enough authenticity combined with romanticism that it fits with the perception of a place that someone has if they haven't been there. But if you're from the place being rendered, or have been there, or are a bit more worldly-wise, it's pretty immediately obvious where all the twee travelogue bits are. But that's how it should be - if we want the real thing, we can go there. If we're going to a Theme Park, we're looking for a certain experience, a heightened experience. It makes sense we're there on a special day.

That said, one of my major bugbears while at Disney was the fact that I think I was playing djembe drums roughly 98% of the time (maybe a little exaggeration...), even though I had never once played them before. Because that's toooootally African, y'know? ;). Guests would come up and ask me to teach them how to play and I'd be all like... :( "I think you just hit this bit, then hit that bit. And smile. With teeth."
I bet you were pretty good at those drums by the time you left, though! :p

It's not always what's right, but what feels right. Of course, what feels right depends on where you're starting from. On MSUSA, it's looking back at the past from the present. At other places in WDW, it's looking at another part of the world starting from an American perspective. And when you're experiencing it the "right" way, it all makes sense because it plays off of and builds upon what we already know through shared culture. When you're actually from a place or time that's being tinkered with for public consumption...

jt04

I don't think so. My understanding is that it's actually Nemo that is more endangered.

Hope this is true as it really needs to go for the theming integrity of DAK. Would be a good sign they intend to reimagine that corner of the park. One of several of Eisner's errors that is left to be corrected such as Dinorama, CMM, BAH, Splash, Carpets, Laugh Floor, Energy, Imagination, LaL...

RSoxNo1

They could always rework things to open the bridge to Guest access.

Really the only issue to opening that up would be the access to First Aid that you mentioned. Pizzafari could probably survive with only having after-hours truck access like Flame Tree does. They could move the gate that the parade enters from to the far end of the bridge. As long as Guests won't be going back the bridge to a show when the parade needs to come out, they don't have to worry about the bridge being able to handle both the parade and Guest flow at the same time.

The could solve the First Aid problem by moving it to the far end of the bridge, or perhaps to the entrance area of the Avatar plot.

-Rob
The hand scooped ice cream stand that's on the right hand side is rarely if ever used. First aid could be moved there.

jt04

Hope this is true as it really needs to go for the theming integrity of DAK. Would be a good sign they intend to reimagine that corner of the park. One of several of Eisner's errors that is left to be corrected such as Dinorama, CMM, BAH, Splash, Carpets, Laugh Floor, Energy, Imagination, LaL...

...SGE...

mm52200

Oh wow that's crazy. Maybe I'm always there at busy times but the show always seems to fill up. I can see where the general public has a harder time getting into it though. It's a great show, love the costumes, music, the talented cast, however it's not the bright flashy nonstop spectacle that FotLK is.

wdwfan22

nemo show isnt' very popular.. honestly the Tarzan numbers at the end were better than Nemo today...

I find that one hard to believe. Tarzan sucked compared to Nemo as far as show quality. I also remember time frames when Tarzan played to half empty theaters

Jones14

Oh wow that's crazy. Maybe I'm always there at busy times but the show always seems to fill up. I can see where the general public has a harder time getting into it though. It's a great show, love the costumes, music, the talented cast, however it's not the bright flashy nonstop spectacle that FotLK is.

GO WITH THE FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! That song is so catchy it should be illegal. Loved the show, and the place was full when we saw it several years ago and two days ago. Here's to hoping it just gets an upgrade rather than a replacement!

wdwfan22

We brought some first time visitors with us this past fall, and they loved Nemo and also felt it was the closest thing entertainment wise to a broadway style production at Disney. We all personally felt that Festival of the Lion King is geared towards young children and lacks something. Maybe it's the cheesy audience participation part. I only wish the Festival of the Lion King could be more like the Lion King broadway version (just shorter in length)

Tip Top Club

The hand scooped ice cream stand that's on the right hand side is rarely if ever used. First aid could be moved there.

It's open every day, but closes prior to the parade because it goes right in front of it and the park wasn't designed for a parade. Plus there are Animal barns right behind it, not a lot of room for expansion. I don't really think First aid access is an issue here, I'm sure they can work something out.

JustInTime

Not sure why they would be building a new theater in the Africa area same size and shape as the old one if the show wasn't returning.
Ohhh. I haven't checked this thread in ages and I can't read all the convo. So have they actually started construction for the new theater??

JustInTime

What is this about Nemo??? I love that show and it has such a great score!!! Why is it in danger of leaving?
Would you mind quoting you the posts you are replying to that way it's easier to keep up with the thread? I hope Nemo doesn't leave. I love the show. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom