Festival of the Lion King closes January 5th

afar28

Long closure just for a move.
The faster it closes the quicker avatar construction begins so I don't mind

Soarin' Over Pgh

A handful of months seems about right. The actors will need time to get used to the new place, if there's a new layout (probably is)

I wish we had some info on the new digs and specifically, the area surrounding it. Any news you can share with the class? :)

Bairstow

A handful of months seems about right. The actors will need time to get used to the new place, if there's a new layout (probably is)

I wish we had some info on the new digs and specifically, the area surrounding it. Any news you can share with the class? :)

Seems odd that they would change the layout though, unless they were pushed for space in the new location.
Hope they still do theater-in-the-round in the new place. It made the show quite unique.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Seems odd that they would change the layout though, unless they were pushed for space in the new location.
Hope they still do theater-in-the-round in the new place. It made the show quite unique.

The plans for the new theater show that it is about the same size and shape as the existing one so the show probably isn't going to chance significantly. The Jan 5 closing date is interesting because based on the latest construction photos it doesn't look like the new theater will be done by then. Maybe there are a lot of fittings and fixtures that they plan to move from the old theater to the new one.

Bairstow

The plans for the new theater show that it is about the same size and shape as the existing one so the show probably isn't going to chance significantly. The Jan 5 closing date is interesting because based on the latest construction photos it doesn't look like the new theater will be done by then. Maybe there are a lot of fittings and fixtures that they plan to move from the old theater to the new one.

Besides the stage lighting and the trapeze, what would there be?
The set is all basically parade floats and unless I'm missing something they tend to transport rather nicely.

Figments Friend

Interested to see if the new performance area will have some visual or design elements incorporated into it that are themed to The Lion King.
Always thought the original theater could have used a bit more decoration..but it's mellowness fit the theme of CMM.

With it now being established in Africa, i would assume some appropriate themed elements would be added to the exterior/interior since this show is here to stay in the foreseeable future.

I am thinking small detailing..such as graphics and African influenced color patterns used in tasteful ways to bring some extra themed ambiance to the large building.

Rob562

Since the show has been running continuously for 15 years without (as far as I know) any real downtime, it's conceivable that they're putting the floats, puppets and stage pieces through a good refurbishment before they move into their new home. Adding the guide-by-wire system like Hong Kong's show would add to that.

If they're replacing the show and lighting control systems, that takes some time to reprogram and go through tech rehearsals.

-Rob

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Since the show has been running continuously for 15 years without (as far as I know) any real downtime, it's conceivable that they're putting the floats, puppets and stage pieces through a good refurbishment before they move into their new home. Adding the guide-by-wire system like Hong Kong's show would add to that.

If they're replacing the show and lighting control systems, that takes some time to reprogram and go through tech rehearsals.

-Rob

The refurb idea is a good one, this would be an appropriate time to do that.

I believe that Jan 5th was chosen because that's roughly when all the yearly contracts expire for the performers.

Jan 5 is also the end of the holiday season since Jan 1 is mid week this year.

twebber55

i would say the 5th was chosen because its after the holiday and like the great spirit said it being down for that long is more of a cost saving measure

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They are downing FotLK for 6 months?? I thought it was going to be seamless from one theater to the other =/
No silly show is going away forever just like everything else TDO says is temporary

Theater will probably be used to show off Avatar set pieces

Yes I'm being sarcastic but I'll be really surprised if FOTLK reopens

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom