Trip Report Feelin' hot, Hot, HOT!

How on earth are we back already! But, that's the way it always goes when you go on vacation - you're back before you even know it! We had a great trip with many new experiences, new foods and great, great memories! We had an interesting flight down, a more interesting flight back (details later!) and if you hadn't guessed, it was HOT!

I'm still getting my notes and photos organized, so I will update this TR soon, but wanted to share that the "G" Family has a new addition!! Prior to our trip, we had filled out an application at our local Humane Society to adopt a kitten. We received a call on the Friday we were getting packed up to leave that our application had been approved and that we could pick up the kitten any time that worked for us. I explained we were heading out of town for a week and asked if we could pick her up after we returned and they of course said not a problem. So now we had something fun to look forward to upon our return! When we got home this past Friday, we weren't even in the door 15 minutes and we drove over to the Humane Society to pick her up:happy: Meet Belle:inlove::inlove:

Belle 1.jpg

Belle 2.jpg

Belle 3.jpg

She is just the sweetest thing and is very loved in our home!

Be back soon! I see lots of TR's I need to catch up on too:)

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
We were going to pop over to Hurricane Hannah’s for one last drink at the bar, but we hadn’t even started packing yet and we had to be up very early, so decided to skip it and head back up to the room. Emily's face says it all:grumpy::grumpy:

Ending.jpg

While we were packing, Emily and I ate our cupcakes from the night before from Sprinkles. They were a day old, and still as fresh as if I bought them that day! The caramel one was so delicious!

Ending 1.jpg

We finished packing up what we could and called it a night about 10:00. Morning would come very quickly. Our last full day was awesome!!

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Friday, August 25th

*This will be text heavy!

We didn’t sleep all that well. I know I tossed and turned most of the night and my Fitbit sleep tracker showed I slept 5 hours…yep it felt like I had only slept that much! But at 5:00 the alarm went off so time to get up and finish packing. Our bus was scheduled to come at 5:50 and they asked us to be down at the bus stop 15 minutes prior. So we got everything all situated and made our way down to the bus stop about 5:30. The bus took forever – it was almost 20 minutes late! But we got loaded up and on our way very quickly. We stopped at the Boardwalk Inn and Caribbean Beach and then were on our way to the airport. The trip there went by pretty quickly.

We got checked in, checked our luggage and made our way through security. Of course the security line was huge. But we made it through in plenty of time to take the tram over to the gates. We found our way to our gate and had about 30 minutes before boarding was to begin so Emily and I went to find something to eat.

At the beginning of my TR I had indicated we had some interesting flights - we'll here's the story on our return flight:(

a more interesting flight back (details later!)

Before too long, we were boarding and in the air fairly quickly. About 20 minutes into the flight, one of the flight attendants came on the loud speaker and asked if there were any medical professionals on board as there was an emergency in first class. Three people went up, but we couldn’t really see anything.

Those three people walked back to their seats and we continued on as planned. We all tried to doze off but it’s so hard to sleep on a plane! Before we knew it though, we were making our decent into Chicago. The pilot then came on the loud speaker and said we were landing about 20 minutes early but asked that we all remain in our seats as they had to tend to an emergency when we got to the gate. He said he would turn off the seat belt sign when it was okay for us to get up.

Well, we landed and taxied to our gate very quickly. Upon arrival, there was a fire truck, an ambulance and some police cars. What the?!

Airport 1.jpg

Airport 2.jpg

The door was opened and the police officers walked on followed by the paramedics. We couldn’t see anything but it took about 10 minutes or so for them to do what they needed to do. Then there were two paramedics walking out as though they were taking someone off in a stretcher. Brian was on the side of the plane where all of the emergency vehicles were, so he watched as they were getting off the tarmac and unfortunately they were taking out a body bag:cry:. The gentleman must have passed right away and rather than make an emergency landing, they just got everyone to Chicago instead since there was nothing that could be done. It was so sad. It looked like possibly his wife walked out crying after and maybe a son or a friend? After they were out, the captain turned off the seat belt sign and we were all able to make it off. No one said anything – it was just a very somber moment.

We had about an hour now to get to our next gate and then find a bite to eat (even though we were all kind of feeling so sad after getting off the plane:(). We figured we’d eat in Chicago so when we got to Madison we could just get on the road and go. We found our gate first and then went looking for food.

We ate our lunch at the gate and didn’t have too long a wait to board our plane. Emily and her new friend!

Airport 3.jpg

We boarded the plane and took off right on time. The flight was short and sweet and landed about 20 minutes early in Madison as well. We made our way to baggage claim. It seemed like the luggage took a while to start coming out, but thankfully all of our bags made it! We were home in about an hour and a half so we made pretty good time!

A wonderful trip with so many great memories! We ate a lot, drank a lot and laughed a lot!! Besides the hot weather, I wouldn’t change a thing about this trip – it was great from start to finish!

Not sure when we'll be heading back again. We would love to get back there in 2018, but in reality, I'm thinking it will be 2019, but that's okay - there will be plenty of new things to see at that time! It was fun to reflect back on this trip through a TR - so thanks for following along!

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Thank you for a wonderful trip report! I hope your father is doing well.
I totally sang the Soft Kitty song.:joyfull:
Thank you for reading! He's doing much better, thank you. Unfortunately he has lots of health problems, but we're trying to get everything all balanced out!

I sing that darn song all the time...and at weird random times too:joyfull:

Wow what a crazy ending!! I can't even imagine what that was like for that poor family!

It was neat to be able to see the Halloween decorations in August, but it felt a little strange lol!

Agree - we don't fly too often, but this is definitely one of those things we'll never forget!

I'm with you. Halloween time in Wisconsin is always cool and brisk and everything is orange, brown and yellow, so it was a little strange to see Halloween decorations in the midst of palm trees:joyfull:

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing!! I hope your dad is doing better.

Thank you for reading!! He is doing better, thank you:)

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Thanks for taking us along on your vacation! Love the henna tattoos. Something our girls would probably love to do!

Thanks for following! Emily loved it - and it lasted almost 10 days, so it was a fun reminder of the vacation when we got home:)

Great trip report. Kind of a sad and creepy ending with the plane ride, and sad for the guy and his fam.
I really enjoyed following your report! Sorry the plane ride home ended on such a sad note:(.
Great trip report! I really enjoyed it, thanks for posting!
Sad ending to a great trip

Max
Thanks for following! Yep, a very sad way to end the trip and definitely something we won't forget:(

blreinsel

What a terrible thing to experience! I can't help but think how uncomfortable it would have been to sit next to a dead man for the duration of the flight. :bored: I wouldn't have been able to do it. That poor family.

But it seems like you had a wonderful trip! Lots of memories were made! :) Thanks for sharing!

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us! I really enjoyed following along!

Thank you for following:)

What a terrible thing to experience! I can't help but think how uncomfortable it would have been to sit next to a dead man for the duration of the flight. :bored: I wouldn't have been able to do it. That poor family.

But it seems like you had a wonderful trip! Lots of memories were made! :) Thanks for sharing!
We were thinking the same thing:( We felt so bad for his wife when she walked off behind him. I didn't mention this in the TR, but I'll mention it now - As we were waiting for our flight in Chicago for Madison, I noticed a guy in a Green Bay Packer shirt in the first class line that I recognized from our flight from Orlando to Chicago – he had been in the first class line there (I recall this guy because I thought he resembled Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers head coach), but knew it wasn’t him). I was tempted to go up to him and ask him what happened on the flight from Orlando, but didn’t think it was appropriate.

Despite the ending, we did have a wonderful trip with great memories!! Thank you for following:)

fractal

Loved (mostly) the last few updates. Laugh floor is a hoot - I really hated missing it our last trip.

Your teenager eats like mine!

Nice Splash pics!

BC pool is so nice - plus you are bordered by ice-cream pallor on one side and a bar on the other.

Being able to walk into Epcot is really awesome!

Sad for the family that lost a father/husband.

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for the report!

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Loved (mostly) the last few updates. Laugh floor is a hoot - I really hated missing it our last trip.

Your teenager eats like mine!

Nice Splash pics!

BC pool is so nice - plus you are bordered by ice-cream pallor on one side and a bar on the other.

Being able to walk into Epcot is really awesome!

Sad for the family that lost a father/husband.

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for the report!
Yes, the Laugh floor is definitely a hoot! Brian is always paranoid they are going to pick on him because one year when Emily was a toddler, he was chosen to get up and dance! He was so embarrassed, but he did it and made her do it with him:joyfull:

Yep - I noticed many similarities between your teen and mine in your TR too!

Thanks - that's quite the compliment from you!! BTW - Emily just sent me her Christmas list (I have to ask for one now because buying for teenagers is exhausting!) and she has a camera on her list - a Canon T5i? Not sure if it's a good one or not, but she's just starting out with this whole photography interest, so I'm sure she doesn't need anything super duper fancy.

We love the BC pool - some times it's hard to stick around in the parks knowing we could be spending time there instead:oops: And definitely cannot beat the walk to Epcot, that's for sure.

Yes, so sad for them.

Thanks so much for following!

Very Late to the game, but I enjoyed your TR! I think I almost prefer being late, that way I can read through the whole story and not have to wait!
Definitely not late! Thanks so much for reading:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom