Feedback on new style

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steve, do we have photo albums here?
Photo Albums are not part of the new forums. External sites like Flickr, Smugmug, Facebook etc have completely dominated the online storage of photos, and it is impossible to compete. With that in mind, and the technical issues of operating it, I decided that the photo storage will be discontinued.

Nemo14

Photo Albums are not part of the new forums. External sites like Flickr, Smugmug, Facebook etc have completely dominated the online storage of photos, and it is impossible to compete. With that in mind, and the technical issues of operating it, I decided that the photo storage will be discontinued.

No problem - thanks for the explanation

Bolna

I just spend some time looking around and there are things that I like and things that I don't like and quite a few things which I guess I still need to figure out...

The dimmed version is definitely much better - and just as Steve suggested I adjusted the width of my browser window which makes it much better as well.

One thing I find a bit bothersome is the font being used. I guess I am just not a huge fan of that type of letters. Also in the quoted window the font becomes very small and the italics don't help with readability. I also agree with others that there appears to be a lot of empty space on the page.

I think I like the way in which new posts are displayed - even if at the beginning it thought everything from May 10 on was new for me... I found the "Mark Forums Read" button, so things are well now. I wonder whether this now keeps a post as new until I have actually looked at it? I hated it in the past that every time I logged on after a while all posts were not new anymore even if I had not gotten around to read them.

I have also become very very old - I had not entered a year of birth in the old system and now the new one set me as born in 1900. While I was born in that century, it was indeed many many years after the turn of the century. I am NOT 112 years old!!!! :confused:

I think I will keep trying it out and figure more out how to get the most out of the new system! But I must say that I am very impressed how well the system change worked and that the out time was so short!!! Well done! :cool:

dave&di

Ah OK. The iPad does not currently support the advanced text editor, and defaults to the basic version which does not support the smilies. You can add them manually, by using symbols.

Will the situation change? How do I use symbols??? Apologies again for my ignorance! Thanks for your help.

Bolna

Font styles and sizes could use some changes. First, the size of the post text is on the small side. Second, more size differences between different elements would be helpful. Body text, signature text, and username all at the same size further makes the contents of each post run together.

That's interersting! What you write sounds very different from what I am seeing. I find the font of the posts rather large (but don't like the font as I mentioned previously) And I see plenty of size differences. The signature text is tiny for me.

Bolna

ok - why is it that when I reply and then get to the thread there are a number of posts not displayed in between. I just saw the tiny text by chance because I wondered why people were suddenly talking about photo albums and I saw a quote from a post that I had not read... That appears to be a bit confusing.

Clamman73

Will the situation change? How do I use symbols??? Apologies again for my ignorance! Thanks for your help.

I'm trying on an iPad right now...let's see... :). :/. ;)

OK. It's a matter of just typing it out, so colon with parentheses for smile. Just have to know what does what.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm sure it will change. Remember that the iPad is basically running the operating system from the iPhone. It is not a full desktop replacement - yet.

Here are the symbol codes that represent the smilies
smileylist.png

Tom

Beta Return
I too would like to request a few style changes, which take time to code, and I'm sure Steve had a ton on his plate with this migration:

1. I too would like the default posting font to be a san-serif font like Arial or Verdana. Those are easier fonts to read on screens.

2. I'm also in agreement that the posts should be isolated from each other a bit more. The light blue line almost disappears and it's hard for the eyes to isolate posts. At least for me. Perhaps a darker separation line and/or greater buffer between posts.

3. Can any of the original smilies be imported? The selection isn't stellar, and I'm struggling to get across my true emotions sometimes (I'd love to insert an LOL face here)

4. Do we all have to edit our avatars to fit the new square layout, or can the style be changed to allow 160x120 avatars again?

5. I'm definitely OK with the loss of the photo albums. With all the free hosting out there, there's no reason for Steve to buy more server space or pay for more bandwidth when pics can be hosted anywhere.

6. I love how fast it is. No more spinning for 30 seconds or timing out trying to load a page or post a reply.

Overall, congrats Steve on the migration. Looks like almost everything ported over nicely. As you have time, maybe you'll be able to adjust the WDWmagic style to incorporate some of these items. It appears that this is the theme that came with the software, and it can be modified (with time).

C&D

I'm seeing big voids (of white) on both the left and right borders, and the font seems a lot smaller than it used to be. I suppose I'll get used to it over time (but why the change). Instant reply (is a nice feature though).

WDWBryan

The top looks a little messed up for me. I think that site map link should be up with the others but it wraps down and covers part of the forum. I tested maximizing and resizing my browser and no change

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 82

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The top looks a little messed up for me. I think that site map link should be up with the others but it wraps down and covers part of the forum. I tested maximizing and resizing my browser and no change
Yes not good. What operating system and web browser are you on? Thanks

EpcoTim

I'm running the current version of Chrome under OSX Snow Leopard, I'll try it under Firefox here also and see if I can pinpoint it.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
I would like to see the blue background back again but overall I'm liking the change, one change I would like is maybe allowing me to change from the mobile version on iPhone!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom