February 2016 Disney World ticket price increases and new tiered 1 day tickets

FigmentForver96

Crowds already do that. I'm not making this up. Seven or Eight years ago whilst at Fort Wilderness (in-laws, 5th wheel), we met a family that was home schooling just so they could go during off peak times.
I attended a private academy online and while Disney was not the reason for that, it made traveling much easier as a kid.

The Empress Lilly

Hey @ford91exploder , can you please share the Bora Bora hotel where I can book a bungalow for $300/night? I'm serious. I want to try to plan that trip.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8461113?s=fpmdF2iF

$200:
fbe65e19_original.jpg

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
For me, the biggest expense could be dining, but I have decided that Disney food and beverage prices have reached a level I will no longer tolerate.We tend to stay in our DVC unit for a week at a time when we make it down. By way of background, we'll alternate years with annual passes and years with no trips. APs for a family of 4 (Super Gold Level with Mega Hold) now runs me a cool $2500 but we'll get 3 trips out of them. I should also note that letting them expire results in a 100% savings as opposed to the whatever small fractional savings they love to tout with renewal. But, I digress. My daughter who seems to be able to live off of air molecules has recently turned 11. That means the mid tier dining plan would run me (my son will be 13 our next trip) 61.84 * 4 * 7 = 1731.52 (I'm not sure if this includes tax and I don't really care for the line has been crossed) for us to eat for the week. I should further note that I haven't got the wife and I one margarita yet. That $1700 no longer includes tips, limits my flexibility (sometimes I don't want dessert and would prefer an appetizer), and there is no way I can get an 11 year old the child's version even if that is what we would all want. So I've been using the TiW card. Now the card costs me $150 which means the break even point is $750 in food and tips. This June I was considering purchasing one (we're going to be a party of 10). I booked Akershus for my 5 year old niece many moons ago. I saw that TiW is blacked out during the day we're going to be there. That's such an awesome policy that Akerhus has now become the only meal we're paying Disney for whereas I would've bought the card and used it enough to make sure we got value out of it being a party of ten and all. Further, I've waited long enough at various sit down restaurants through the years that I've oftened wondered why I had the reservation. We always have a vehicle with us and I know we've actually saved time when we've gone back to the room, eaten some spaghetti and meatballs (DVC room with kitchen) and then headed out for the night. It also makes park hopping more amenable. We do carry sandwiches and whatnot into the park for lunch.

My feeling on Disney dining prices was further reinforced when we went to Busch Gardens during a visit to my sister's (she lives in Seminole, life long Floridian) over Christmas and we ate the venerable Crown Colony house which had a big holiday buffet for $20/adult and $12/child. That is normal tourist expensive. We also ate at Cape May during a couple of non-theme park days at WDW on the way down...The wife and I each paid 60 bucks (which I guess is the upper end of the 40-60 dollar price range) while the kids were around 20. Now, I wasn't upset about this. In fact, I love Cape May and on this particular night the food was really good. I sought out the manager to compliment him (I had to wait behind a dude who claimed someone in the restaurant stole his wife's digital camera and everyone should stop what they are doing to sleuth this out). However, I did decide that I wasn't doing that again. I should note, I can afford to eat at WDW. I just find it such a bad value that I'm not doing it anymore. I'm comparing it to other touristy things like Uni, NFL games, state, national parks, etc. Sorry for this aside. I'm sure that I'm a Cheapy, McCheapy Pants that deserves to be made fun of.

Good words ^^^

As you know, Disney dining has crossed the value threshold for me as well. My last trip was just my wife and me, and we spent somewhere around $1100 in 4 days on food.

So, on second thought, if I did decide to dine in Disney exclusively, dining may eclipse park tickets. But....

Dining is optional and flexible. Park tickets not so much. So on third thought, I stand by my original statement.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Good words ^^^

As you know, Disney dining has crossed the value threshold for me as well. My last trip was just my wife and me, and we spent somewhere around $1100 in 4 days on food.

So, on second thought, if I did decide to dine in Disney exclusively, dining may eclipse park tickets. But....

Dining is optional and flexible. Park tickets not so much. So on third thought, I stand by my original statement.

Sometimes park tickets are optional. This December we had a great time splish splashing around Stormalong Bay. The kids did one of the adventure cruises which are still an OK deal (Son loved it because they had a younger captain and she actually ran aground...plus, they actually got to enter EPCOT and do some scavenger hunting), and we played putt putt golf. We talked about doing a day at UNI since I'm the only one who has seen Gringott's, but we decided to take it easy instead. At the Beach Club they even have one of the little oyster/pearl deals like they have in Japan in WS proper. Daughter loves that. Never mind the fact we took the high velocity friendship boats around so we could ogle resort Christmas decorations. Watched Tangled with the daughter on the outdoor movie screen at Boardwalk whilst son and wife walked around accessing Ingress portals. Met one the CM friends we made over the years for a tonga toast breakfast and then visited the big gingerbread house in GF along with the gingerbread people in Contemporary. Of course, when I'm doing a big family reunion type trip, the parks aren't optional, but in all honesty, from time to time I like to remind myself that WDW is a resort. Edit: I forgot checking out the new stuff at Disney Springs. We even ate at the bowling alley place. It was a busy 2.5 days and we were quite happy.

Last edited:

flyerjab

Sometimes park tickets are optional. This December we had a great time splish splashing around Stormalong Bay. The kids did one of the adventure cruises which are still an OK deal (Son loved it because they had a younger captain and she actually ran aground...plus, they actually got to enter EPCOT and do some scavenger hunting), and we played putt putt golf. We talked about doing a day at UNI since I'm the only one who has seen Gringott's, but we decided to take it easy instead. At the Beach Club they even have one of the little oyster/pearl deals like they have in Japan in WS proper. Daughter loves that. Never mind the fact we took the high velocity friendship boats around so we could ogle resort Christmas decorations. Watched Tangled with the daughter on the outdoor movie screen at Boardwalk whilst son and wife walked around accessing Ingress portals. Met one the CM friends we made over the years for a tonga toast breakfast and then visited the big gingerbread house in GF along with the gingerbread people in Contemporary. Of course, when I'm doing a big family reunion type trip, the parks aren't optional, but in all honesty, from time to time I like to remind myself that WDW is a resort. Edit: I forgot checking out the new stuff at Disney Springs. We even ate at the bowling alley place. It was a busy 2.5 days and we were quite happy.

I love hearing that people enjoy their WDW trips without even entering the parks.

However, after reading the park passes are optional statement, I found myself oddly forlorn in the fact that your story did not de-evolve into how your various family members and sundry met in some disparate, clandestine locale whereby you were able to secure park entry sans tickets.

JoeCamel

Airfare is 1800 round trip per person, Compare that to 226 per night vs 3,000 per night at WDW - The numbers work very rapidly in your favor.

I don't know where you are flying from but Tampa is 3 - 4K in April per person so if you want a companion it is 8K Plus that sweet $200 per room. I would stay there if I could get there.
but .....

Baloo62

They need to build a third MK type park in the US. Building a 5th park would be useless, people would still want MK

Funny you should say that. I heard a rumor locally (I live in MS) that Disney is eyeing the old Six Flags (aka Jazzland) property in New Orleans that has been abandoned since Katrina. Can anyone confirm or deny?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Funny you should say that. I heard a rumor locally (I live in MS) that Disney is eyeing the old Six Flags (aka Jazzland) property in New Orleans that has been abandoned since Katrina. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Considering that the property would have to be razed and there's really not that much property to begin with...I highly doubt they would build a park in New Orleans as it is way to close to the Orlando park.

BernardandBianca

I don't know where you are flying from but Tampa is 3 - 4K in April per person so if you want a companion it is 8K Plus that sweet $200 per room. I would stay there if I could get there.
but .....

APRIL 22-29, rt flight Tampa to Bora Bora is 2932/person on travelocity, so your airfare is 6K, not 8K. If you want to compare prices, do it with real costs.

indyumd

Pricing it for my anniversary in November, its a 2-stop flight and 75 hours of travel (each way) for $2,000 each from DC. The Sofitel seems to have a bungalow that would run about $2500 for the week, but we're now at $6500 plus losing two days of travel. And no food. So this may not work.

Think I may need to go back to a Caribbean trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom