February 2016 Disney World ticket price increases and new tiered 1 day tickets

Cletus

I love WDW but you all have inspired me to reevaluate my budget to see how I could better spend the same amount elsewhere. I was thinking about a WDW trip in late May. Perhaps I should examine the opportunity cost of what else I could do with that budget. I could plan a trip elsewhere and go some place I haven't been. Or, since I'm currently taking Financial Peace University right now, if I were to really listen to Dave Ramsey I should just put that money into a mutual fund and let it grow.;)

We ditched our Disney plan two weeks ago. Instead we are going for 6 days to Kauai in May.. RT airfare, condo on the beach with ocean view and rental car came out to only $2,100 total for two people. It would have been much more expensive to do the Disney trip. Suck it, Iger! :D

skyphotographer

If Disney's plan was to relieve some of the overcrowding in the parks by raising ticket prices, it seems to be working. It will be interesting to follow the attendance numbers for the rest of this year.

BTW, nothing wrong with spending your vacation dollars somewhere else.

Spoxy

You definitely need to visit DisneySea and let us know what you think. That park always gets rave reviews.

We definitely plan on it. We're spending one day at Tokyo Disneyland and one day at Tokyo DisneySea. We're doing DisneySea last because people say that if you start there, you will want to come back the next day.

Mike S

We definitely plan on it. We're spending one day at Tokyo Disneyland and one day at Tokyo DisneySea. We're doing DisneySea last because people say that if you start there, you will want to come back the next day.
Exactly why when I went to DLR for two days we did DCA first.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wish someone at Disney's corporate office would really see the trajectory of this thread.

Here are real Disney enthusiasts (who have taken the time to register on a WDW fan site and do more than read -- we actually post) who normally look forward to returning to WDW, many of whom who are now seriously reconsidering Disney vacations (either canceling, cutting back, or going elsewhere) because the cost has gotten so out of whack with the rest of the world.

Their marketing folks need to see this.

Yes, their bottom line looks good right now... but this trajectory would change that story over time (or at least diminish it).

Disney is too far into the 'we are invincible' stage of corporate decay, A company losing its most devoted customers is ALWAYS a bad thing as those are the customers who 'sell' the company to others with no incremental cost to the company.

Cesar R M

I wish someone at Disney's corporate office would really see the trajectory of this thread.

Here are real Disney enthusiasts (who have taken the time to register on a WDW fan site and do more than read -- we actually post) who normally look forward to returning to WDW, many of whom who are now seriously reconsidering Disney vacations (either canceling, cutting back, or going elsewhere) because the cost has gotten so out of whack with the rest of the world.

Their marketing folks need to see this.

Yes, their bottom line looks good right now... but this trajectory would change that story over time (or at least diminish it).
Well, they're actually succeeding in what they wanted by increasing prices.
aka wedding out those who cant afford and thus lower the park loads.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I'm not sure they are weeding ONLY out those who can't afford yes on a venn diagram there is the can't afford set, But there is another set of people who can easily afford Disney prices and yet are choosing to spend their dollars elsewhere because of the decrease in perceived value between the cuts and price increases. The intersection of the two sets I think is a lot larger than Disney is planning for, Just like various insiders report that the AP price increase backfired and the people they lost were not the FL residents with low priced AP's but the top end passholders ie the most profitable ones.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The intersection of the two sets I think is a lot larger than Disney is planning for, Just like various insiders report that the AP price increase backfired and the people they lost were not the FL residents with low priced AP's but the top end passholders ie the most profitable ones.
Wife and I fall into this category. Not saying we are 1%'ers , but we went several times a years either with each other and/or family. We ate and drank at the resorts and parks and we bought merchandise such as jackets, shirts and sweaters. When we saw the price increase we truly felt like our loyalty as customers was just being taken advantage of.

I opened the email in regards to renewing our AP's and to see an outrageous price hike coupled with a sales pitch of how magically awesome it was, it really ticked me off. It was insulting. It might as well have read, "thanks for spending appx $10,000 a year with us! To show our appreciation we will charge you more because our computer system deems you to be brainwashed"

prberk

I would argue in the "lower park loads" vs. "make more money" argument, the latter wins. And it seems like they can't see that the two are actually related, though not in the way that it would seem. Expansion and refreshing less visited areas is the way to do both.

Cesar R M

This seems very very wrong ;)
sorry, typoo :/

Ive no idea you cant drink a wand

wait.. what?
bunnymund_whatthe.png

GrammieBee

While I suspect it makes no difference to Disney, we recently cancelled our three week stay at the Boardwalk Inn in April. Instead, while we are listening to the ocean waves at the shore or later to the breeze blowing through the pines in northern Maine, we may give some thought to the crowds, price increases, construction walls and the gradual disappearance of many of the little details that always made WDW so special and contemplate when we might return. At our age, we do not have the luxury of time to wait for Star Wars Land or Toy Story Land.

Beth826

I don't say this to make people on here mad, although I suspect it probably will.

But based on so many of the comments on this thread, it appears that people feel they are entitled to a Disney vacation at a price that they feel is reasonable and appropriate. But what Disney is doing is simply the basis of the free market economy that this country is based on - it's basic supply and demand. The price is only too high if it causes their attendance and business to suffer, not because a bunch of self-professed Disney fans feel the prices are "unreasonable" or are priced out of attending.

As a private business Disney doesn't "owe" anything to anyone. You don't like their new prices, then don't go. Only if enough people do that will prices stop going up or even possibly drop.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't say this to make people on here mad, although I suspect it probably will.

But based on so many of the comments on this thread, it appears that people feel they are entitled to a Disney vacation at a price that they feel is reasonable and appropriate. But what Disney is doing is simply the basis of the free market economy that this country is based on - it's basic supply and demand. The price is only too high if it causes their attendance and business to suffer, not because a bunch of self-professed Disney fans feel the prices are "unreasonable" or are priced out of attending.

As a private business Disney doesn't "owe" anything to anyone. You don't like their new prices, then don't go. Only if enough people do that will prices stop going up or even possibly drop.
No, they won't....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom