Feb. 21st Star Wars land preview on ABC

Mike S

I really enjoyed this special. My only complaint was that it was too short!! I could have sat there for another hour!!
Me too which is very surprising. I thought I would be impatiently going "bring up Star Wars already!!!" But I was enjoying myself.

doctornick

If Disney truly cared about Star Wars, they'd build a land with 3 E-tickets, not 2!!!

All kidding aside, the land at DHS looks to be 3 rides (including Star Tours), an indoor Jedi training show, two dinning locations, and an outdoor market with "streetmosphere". That seems pretty immersive for just one IP. I mean, sure, I'd be happy to see additional rides as well (I already mentioned that a Peoplemover type ride would help with the atmosphere and kinetics) but I don't see how anyone could describe the plans as inadequate; that compares pretty favorably to the first WWOHP land that apparently changed the theme park industry (or Cars Land for that matter).

Furthermore, nothing stops them from doing additional SW content down the road.

PhotoDave219

All kidding aside, the land at DHS looks to be 3 rides (including Star Tours), an indoor Jedi training show, two dinning locations, and an outdoor market with "streetmosphere". That seems pretty immersive for just one IP. I mean, sure, I'd be happy to see additional rides as well (I already mentioned that a Peoplemover type ride would help with the atmosphere and kinetics) but I don't see how anyone could describe the plans as inadequate; that compares pretty favorably to the first WWOHP land that apparently changed the theme park industry (or Cars Land for that matter).

Furthermore, nothing stops them from doing additional SW content down the road.

Which is why I'm perfectly fine with holding the land for the mythical "Phase three" in reserve for a few years.....

Ignohippo

..... All the reason I'm tempering my expectations..... I always believe Martin but I also think Hippo has good info too.

For the most part, we have the same info. I stick by what I've said about that building, but it could certainly be incorrect.

I'll just say this. The new attraction is going where Indy is now. The Queue line (at least according to the VERY similar plans at DL) snakes directly in front of it, just behind what is now Echo Lake. The X-wings, etc. will be going around the area of where the Indy store is now.

On the DL plans, the area where 50's Prime and Hollywood & Vine are is trees. IF the new attraction plans are basically the same (and given that Echo Lake is almost EXACTLY where they have the body of water in the DL plans), then what do you think would happen to that building? It certainly wouldn't remain with the architecture they have now.

Given all the other info I was given has been spot on (and there's certainly the possibility it could be completely wrong and SWland could be going in Streets Of America area instead, which it isn't) and that everything has been pretty much confirmed by the leaked DL plans, I'm sticking by what I was told. Now that they're also touting this new restaurant experience (which no one ever mentioned except for me), I think it remains more than likely that these are the current restaurants re-themed.

brb1006

A perfect final note for a Disneyland anniversary special...a song that has nothing to do with anything.

I don't like Disney-produced shows generally, but this was as bad as any Disney Christmas parade special, maybe worse since the focus was supposed to be on the park.
I disagree, at least this is better than last year's Christmas Day Parade.

Mike S

For the most part, we have the same info. I stick by what I've said about that building, but it could certainly be incorrect.

I'll just say this. The new attraction is going where Indy is now. The Queue line (at least according to the VERY similar plans at DL) snakes directly in front of it, just behind what is now Echo Lake. The X-wings, etc. will be going around the area of where the Indy store is now.

On the DL plans, the area where 50's Prime and Hollywood & Vine are is trees. IF the new attraction plans are basically the same (and given that Echo Lake is almost EXACTLY where they have the body of water in the DL plans), then what do you think would happen to that building? It certainly wouldn't remain with the architecture they have now.

Given all the other info I was given has been spot on (and there's certainly the possibility it could be completely wrong and SWland could be going in Streets Of America area instead, which it isn't) and that everything has been pretty much confirmed by the leaked DL plans, I'm sticking by what I was told. Now that they're also touting this new restaurant experience (which no one ever mentioned except for me), I think it remains more than likely that these are the current restaurants re-themed.
Would they still make an attempt to hide the land so it can have a reveal?

Ignohippo

Which is why I'm perfectly fine with holding the land for the mythical "Phase three" in reserve for a few years.....

I've heard what many others have and that there are plans down the road. Some are small, some are absolutely HUGE. Some so large that I have a hard time believing they're anything but Blue Sky. I've heard for a long time that the reason the SoA area expansion hasn't been decided is because they are waffling if it should be more Star Wars. Plans were set that it wouldn't be until somewhat recently.

But, they're ponying up for nearly $2b for the current expansions as is. Just how soon do people think they're going to be opening their wallets again?

Staags will be just coming into his cushy new job with many of the expenditures behind him. He can sit back and look amazing by benefitting from these current expansions. I don't see him opening up the wallet again after this current round is done for a long, long time, if ever under his reign. At least as far as DHS, MK and AK are concerned.

doctornick

I've heard what many others have and that there are plans down the road. Some are small, some are absolutely HUGE. Some so large that I have a hard time believing they're anything but Blue Sky. I've heard for a long time that the reason the SoA area expansion hasn't been decided is because they are waffling if it should be more Star Wars. Plans were set that it wouldn't be until somewhat recently.

But, they're ponying up for nearly $2b for the current expansions as is. Just how soon do people think they're going to be opening their wallets again?

Staags will be just coming into his cushy new job with many of the expenditures behind him. He can sit back and look amazing by benefitting from these current expansions. I don't see him opening up the wallet again after this current round is done for a long, long time, if ever under his reign. At least as far as DHS, MK and AK are concerned.

But the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon "Phase 3" is supposedly included among the already approved $2+B for DHS.

Ignohippo

But the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon "Phase 3" is supposedly included among the already approved $2+B for DHS.

Yep. But, as I understand, what's going in it still hasn't been finalized.

IF it isn't Star Wars, I don't see any other expansions coming any time soon. As much of a SW geek as I am, and as much as I want to see more SW (obviously), I think it would be a shame if this area weren't used to add more diversity to the park. While still Pixar, using it for something like CarsLand would make DHS a much better park, IMO.

Otherwise, it's almost as though the park is just Toy Story and Star Wars.

doctornick

Yep. But, as I understand, what's going in it still hasn't been finalized.

IF it isn't Star Wars, I don't see any other expansions coming any time soon. As much of a SW geek as I am, and as much as I want to see more SW (obviously), I think it would be a shame if this area weren't used to add more diversity to the park. While still Pixar, using it for something like CarsLand would make DHS a much better park, IMO.

Otherwise, it's almost as though the park is just Toy Story and Star Wars.

I agree with you actually -- I'd rather it be something not Star Wars for the variety. My point was that the construction for there is allegedly already budgeted so something should get built in the relatively short term even if the theme is not decided yet.

rioriz

Nope. No sarcasm.

Think about it. You could have a speeder bike coaster through the forests of the Endor Moon; entertwined with that, you could have an Ewok Village like the Swiss Family Treehouse, you could (at minimum) have a trench run ride, a coaster swerving in and out of AT-ATs on Hoth, Jedi Training taking place at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

There's SO much they could do. Instead, as I've said from the beginning, this is just their initial plans with an added second attraction and bigger buildings (and they'll be retrofitting a large amount of this into existing structures). They simply aren't thinking big enough.

The have a grand slam property and they're getting the runner home by bunting.

Will it be incredible? Absolutely. Will it be the land that the world's largest IP deserves? No. Not by a million miles.

I'm sorry but this whole post is a contradiction and grinds my gears....rant coming

The Insiders do this all the time on this site...Lee does it least....

"It's going go to be Amazing, Incredible, Aweome...BUT...it could have been blah blah blah"

We all know that the technology is there to probably have real hoverr boards but we get ones with wheels.....

If it's gonna be Incredible then please just start and end with that!!!!!!!

Ah...rant over...BTW Ingo you are a valued poster and thanks for the info

JohnD

Nope, just watched bits and pieces on the net. The guy who played Bert on Mary Poppins was spectacular. Holy crap, dancing like that at his age. The Pete's Dragon trailer made me think it was the new Jungle Book at first, with the half-naked kid running through the woods. Hard to tell from the trailer what Elliot's going to look like.

I tend not to watch Disney-hype specials. I also avoid the televised Christmas Parades. They bore me and/or make my stomach hurt. :p

That guy is Dick Van . (Couldn't help myself)

No Name

Okay, hmm. So I'll start by saying I very much like the name The Star Wars Experience. Couldn't be much simpler and easier to call it by than that. But as much as I wasn't disappointed by the preview, I wasn't completely wowed either.

The first one is most definitely a simulator. I can ride a simulator at my local funplex, and there's this thing at the arcades called a Star Wars battle pod. Also, there's already a ride called Star Tours which looks quite similar, so this ride better really wow me or I'll be disappointed. There needs to be something unique and different about it.

The second one looks better though. It looks to me like a transformers/ spider man ride system, which doesn't mean it has to be all screens, but the second part of that video definitely looks that way. There will be forward movement (yay!), though it's most definitely not an omnimover and I'd be pleasantly surprised if there were a lot of AAs. It looks like all three rides will be heavily screen-based (which could feel redundant), but who knows? After all, the video we saw is so short and all computer-modeled that it's hard to tell what's what. I'm really hoping this second ride is on a Forbidden Journey or Mystic Manor level of quality. That'll be the big winner that draws Potter-level or greater crowds if they pull something off like that. Otherwise I'm seeing The Star Wars Experience having three decent rides but none which are wowing.

Can't base too much opinion off of a two minute preview though, so as always I'll reserve full judge till it opens. The rest of the land looks excellent. I don't see where some people are getting the idea there will be an indoor show though. But the restaurants, streetmosphere, and whole land looks very nice.

Thanks for the video Cantor. And if anyone has or knows where a video of the Shanghai part is, could you please lead me to it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom