Feb. 21st Star Wars land preview on ABC

Mike S

Nope. No sarcasm.

Think about it. You could have a speeder bike coaster through the forests of the Endor Moon; entertwined with that, you could have an Ewok Village like the Swiss Family Treehouse, you could (at minimum) have a trench run ride, a coaster swerving in and out of AT-ATs on Hoth, Jedi Training taking place at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

There's SO much they could do. Instead, as I've said from the beginning, this is just their initial plans with an added second attraction and bigger buildings (and they'll be retrofitting a large amount of this into existing structures). They simply aren't thinking big enough.

The have a grand slam property and they're getting the runner home by bunting.

Will it be incredible? Absolutely. Will it be the land that the world's largest IP deserves? No. Not by a million miles.
Who spit in your bean curd?

doctornick

My understanding remains that if H&V or 50s leave, it will not be to become a new Star Wars restaurant. Cooler heads prevailed so SWL will not start 50 feet from Hollywood Blvd. Could have changed, though.

The Resistance ride will have PLENTY of physical effects. As will the land and its dining.

See that makes sense to me. It would seem very odd if they are going so far out of their way to "hide" Star Wars at DL from the neighboring lands, but leave it wide open to be viewed at DHS. Plus, they'll need additional dining at DHS with the increase in guests when SW comes -- we already expect Backlot Express to be repurposed for a new food place, but they will need other new additional options for the park to keep up with demand.

That said, would hate to see Prime Time go away. One of the best themed dining at WDW.

Magenta Panther

i like the muppets christmas carol very much... the rest... not so much!

f50859b0-e2b7-0131-bff2-0eb233c768fb.jpg

And a lot of people like the new Muppets show...not so much. :D

doctornick

Think about it. You could have a speeder bike coaster through the forests of the Endor Moon; entertwined with that, you could have an Ewok Village like the Swiss Family Treehouse, you could (at minimum) have a trench run ride, a coaster swerving in and out of AT-ATs on Hoth, Jedi Training taking place at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

I disagree (well, with your main point). I think it was the right call going with a single location rather than using multiple settings for one land. Having uniform appearance will help the immersion in the land which is very important. Now, I would have gone with a location that was already established instead of a new one, but that's a different issue.

And doing it this way doesn't preclude doing a new/different SW location in the future. Which I'd like to see someday.

That said, I'd agree with the point of having attractions that "interact" and I hope the land works well as a whole. I know Micechat talked about some sort of Peoplemover inside the land that was proposed and something like that would IMHO be a huge benefit to the kinetics. I don't know if a bike coaster would have been an ideal choice though -- both these rides seem better than that to me. YMMV

Edit: Also, they are seemingly going to have a Jedi experience, probably at the local Jedi temple on this world; I don't see how that's much different from having the one on Coruscant which was kinda forgettable. And given the look of the land, they could easily have some sort of treehouse/play area like an Ewok village.

Mike S

I disagree (well, with your main point). I think it was the right call going with a single location rather than using multiple settings for one land. Having uniform appearance will help the immersion in the land which is very important. Now, I would have gone with a location that was already established instead of a new one, but that's a different issue.

And doing it this way doesn't preclude doing a new/different SW location in the future. Which I'd like to see someday.

That said, I'd agree with the point of having attractions that "interact" and I hope the land works well as a whole. I know Micechat talked about some sort of Peoplemover inside the land that was proposed and something like that would IMHO be a huge benefit to the kinetics. I don't know if a bike coaster would have been an ideal choice though -- both these rides seem better than that to me. YMMV
The only way his ideas would work would be in a whole Star Wars park, not one land. Disney absolutely made the right call imo.

Magenta Panther

Kermit! I hope Magenta Panther is watching.

Nope, just watched bits and pieces on the net. The guy who played Bert on Mary Poppins was spectacular. Holy crap, dancing like that at his age. The Pete's Dragon trailer made me think it was the new Jungle Book at first, with the half-naked kid running through the woods. Hard to tell from the trailer what Elliot's going to look like.

I tend not to watch Disney-hype specials. I also avoid the televised Christmas Parades. They bore me and/or make my stomach hurt. :p

Ignohippo

Nope, just watched bits and pieces on the net. The guy who played Bert on Mary Poppins was spectacular. Holy crap, dancing like that at his age. The Pete's Dragon trailer made me think it was the new Jungle Book at first, with the half-naked kid running through the woods. Hard to tell from the trailer what Elliot's going to look like.

I tend not to watch Disney-hype specials. I also avoid the televised Christmas Parades. They bore me and/or make my stomach hurt. :p

"the guy who played Bert on Mary Poppins?" Seriously?

I do agree with you about Pete's Dragon. At first I thought, 'that's hilarious. They're accidentally showing the Jungle Book trailer."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom