Feb. 21st Star Wars land preview on ABC

DarthMileZ

So you're just gonna ignore how great The Clone Wars show was at redeeming the prequels and even to some degree Jar Jar?

Not sure where you got that from, the clone wars was a success but it doesn't improve the state of the prequels.. its still laughable.. and then lucas ruined the blu ray collection by altering it more. (the "NOOOO" at the end of Return Of The Jedi)

Nothing can improve a bunch of movies with bad casting and bad script... Disney realise this and avoid them completely.

FigmentJedi

Not sure where you got that from, the clone wars was a success but it doesn't improve the state of the prequels.. its still laughable.. and then lucas ruined the blu ray collection by altering it more. (the "NOOOO" at the end of Return Of The Jedi)

Nothing can improve a bunch of movies with bad casting and bad script... Disney realise this and avoid them completely.
Fills in the plot holes/underdeveloped bits of the lore, makes Anakin a much more interesting character and sells his friction with the council and his eventual turn much more effectively, actually see Anakin and Obi-Wan as "good friends", explores the Clone Army as people and adding extra layers of tragedy to Order 66 through the whole sleeper agent storyline, making Darth Maul into more then just a silent attack dog.

It's a real shame they weren't able to finish. But at least Star Wars Rebels is building off the Clone Wars and the prequels.

TP2000

I didn't watch the special, as it happens. The trailers for it turned me off. CGI Tinkerbell, no Walt and a frog puppet celebrating a park he got kicked out of. Yawn.

Walt was all over the place on that special. Helen Mirren did a great biography of him right at the top of the show, and then they talked about him repeatedly throughout the two hours; his dreams for Disneyland, why he built the place, etc., etc.

Quite frankly, I was amazed at how much Walt there was in that two hours, and how they kept saying "Disneyland!" over and over and over instead of "Disney Parks!".

bakntime

This is just my guess, based on nothing other than what seems logical to me.

Echo lake stays as-is. Star Wars land gets a proper transition barrier from the Hollywood theme (something like modest transitional hills or Hollywood facades that span the area between what is now 50s Prime Time and Indy). Most of the backstage and show buildings of Star Wars are built in what's now the parking lot (and the current entry road gets re-routed around these as needed), with the on-stage areas for guests will replace Indy, the Backlot Express, and the area between them. It would allow Star Tours to be integrated into the land, and even allow for the queue to be rerouted so that the entrance to the attraction would be from within Star Wars land itself.

They could also possibly keep Indy (for a new show?), and just push Star Wars land farther into the parking lot (there's plenty of room for that), which would also eliminate some of the need for a transitional "wall."

This blueprint leaves the entire LMA and backlot area (Catastrophe Canyon) as the perfect staging area for SW and Toy Story land construction, as well as having it free for potential future expansion. I think that's why they're getting rid of Catastrophe Canyon now, to prep for the construction of the two lands.

Again, nothing but guessing here, but it seems like this plan requires a minimal amount of demolition while also keeping a maximum amount of free space available for future expansion.

Here's a painstakingly crafted masterpiece, detailing what I'm envisioning. Yellow would be the barrier (either hills or building facades), blue is the on-stage area of Star Wars land, and white are the backstage buildings (show buildings, restaurant, whatever).

swland.jpg

UpAllNight

Excited very much for the addition and think they've made good choices for the attractions, but I hold concerns regarding the often touted 'phase 3'. This park will still be an absolute complete mess if we just see Star Wars and Toy Story additions. They are both extremely popular IPs and attendance could overwealm this small, still limited park. That phase 3 space needs opening up ASAP with a strong lineup of people eating attractions, otherwise this park to me (admittably better than it was pre redo) will just be Toy Story, Star Wars along with a few other rides. I just want this park sorted and not requiring another huge round of investment to sort it out again in 10 years.

Yet I also understand the need to keep space for what seems like an investable Star Wars expansion....are there other options other than the phase 3 space?

twebber55

Nope. No sarcasm.

Think about it. You could have a speeder bike coaster through the forests of the Endor Moon; entertwined with that, you could have an Ewok Village like the Swiss Family Treehouse, you could (at minimum) have a trench run ride, a coaster swerving in and out of AT-ATs on Hoth, Jedi Training taking place at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

There's SO much they could do. Instead, as I've said from the beginning, this is just their initial plans with an added second attraction and bigger buildings (and they'll be retrofitting a large amount of this into existing structures). They simply aren't thinking big enough.

The have a grand slam property and they're getting the runner home by bunting.

Will it be incredible? Absolutely. Will it be the land that the world's largest IP deserves? No. Not by a million miles.
this could be a product of star wars fans
meaning they re such good fans about the IP no matter what they do people will come in droves
sad really

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Fills in the plot holes/underdeveloped bits of the lore, makes Anakin a much more interesting character and sells his friction with the council and his eventual turn much more effectively, actually see Anakin and Obi-Wan as "good friends", explores the Clone Army as people and adding extra layers of tragedy to Order 66 through the whole sleeper agent storyline, making Darth Maul into more then just a silent attack dog.

It's a real shame they weren't able to finish. But at least Star Wars Rebels is building off the Clone Wars and the prequels.

Not to get off topic, but I totally agree with this, Clone Wars really helped fill in some of the gaps in the prequels. They even did their best to make Jar Jar a tolerable character, he actually gets a couple good episodes.

tk924

Here's a quick, non-HD upload of the SW segment from the show. (not mine, btw)

I was underwhelmed by the park announcement and enjoyed the mini concert more. And could they have picked someone else with a little more enthusiasm to introduce this? Good grief.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The franchise was doing just fine before the purchase.

Languishing in EU books and cartoons? That's doing fine?

So you're just gonna ignore how great The Clone Wars show was at redeeming the prequels and even to some degree Jar Jar?

Yes. It's a kid's cartoon. I am summarily ignoring it. Disney rescued SW. JJ breathed life into it. And now we are getting a very impressive SWL at both stateside parks.

I for one, am pumped.

djkidkaz

Remember we still haven't even heard about the name change of the park and what other changes are coming to the existing park. I imagine we'll get info on what is going in the SOA / LMA area of the park then. They have to do something as it will be a big dirt mound in between their two new lands.

jt04

Remember we still haven't even heard about the name change of the park and what other changes are coming to the existing park. I imagine we'll get info on what is going in the SOA / LMA area of the park then. They have to do something as it will be a big dirt mound in between their two new lands.

Curious there was no name announce. Guessing Martin is right that plans are still solidifying.

jt04

Well...I didn't get excrement out of that "announcement" except that there will be more places to eat that I can't afford and maybe a new ride or two that's based on motion simulation? I'm sure they're being horribly vague on purpose as to keep from committing to having to build anything in case their budget should suddenly dry up…

Surely they will have some counter service offerings. I was thinking they could have a stir fry offering and call the booth.........E-Woks.o_O

FigmentJedi

Yes. It's a kid's cartoon. I am summarily ignoring it. Disney rescued SW. JJ breathed life into it. And now we are getting a very impressive SWL at both stateside parks.
Sure, "kiddie cartoon"

JJ got the normies interested again, but Clone Wars helped sustain the fandom post-Sith and became one of the backbones of Lucasfilm Story Group's rebooted continuity. Go to Netflix. Take a step into a larger world where the Prequel era becomes more then a trio of overhated movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom